anyone using square at shows for cc's? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseape57 View Post
I love my square but I just cant seem to get the swipe to work. Any suggestions?
I always have to swipe twice. Try holding the card reader & phone in one hand and swipe with moderate speed, like you would at a grocery store.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #12
geckomania
I prefer the Intuit service. Same concept, different fee charge (it's cheaper through them). I compared several companies and came back to Intuit company being the best with the cheapest fees.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
figg2112
I use to use Intuit for shows but lately the phone ap has been quirky so I switched to square. I have not had any kind of problem with square though the fee is .05% higher than intuit.

Square also deposits money in my account a little faster than intuit. Intuit is very well organized don't get me wrong. I would still use it if the ap didn't mess up on me so often.

Paypal has come out with their own card reader. I got it but have not been able to get it to work...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #14
NocturnalNature
Do you have to have a small business license for these or can a private individual utilize one to facilitate transactions?
What about disputes? I have heard that credit card companies are quite good at siding with the card holder.
Scenario:
You use the device to accept payment from a customer at a show. This customer later contacts the CC company to say there was some sort of fraud. Do you lose the funds?
Lets face it, there are some dishonest folks out there and I have been slow to accept CC payments or Paypal due to the worry associated with their use.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Charis
You don't need a business license or anything to get one, setup is super simple.
I'm less sure on the disputes though. I think the credit company would probably just refund their costumer, the way Square, etc are setup, I believe it is much harder for them to just take the funds back from you? PayPal can freeze or return money still in the PayPal account when a dispute is started if they choose to but can't do a great deal if the seller has already taken that money out somehow, spent it, moved it to their own bank account, etc.
Square deposits it straight into your checking account and once it's in your account, I believe it is illegal for an entity, even one that is setup to deposit or remove funds from your account on a scheduled basis, to do it without your authorization. That's how I understand it, anyway. Could be wrong about some of that and I'm really unsure what a credit card company could do for recourse as I've only had Square a little while and have never had a dispute against me in five years of using PayPal.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
ActionReptiles
I have been using square from the begining as it was the first out at the time. I have never had a problem using it and it makes it pretty safe for the seller. I cant speak for the other card readers but square allows you to take a picture with the sales receit. I always take a picture of animal and buyers license. Square also has gps location where sale took place. It would be pretty hard for buyer to back out and screw over the seller.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
NocturnalNature
Thanks for the replies folks!
I believe I may try out Square to see if it suites my needs.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
bcr229
Another option is Pay Anywhere, all they charge is a swipe fee of 2.69%, or 3.49% + 0.19 for a keyed entry. It's good for people who run CC's intermittently since there are no monthly service fees.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
NocturnalNature
Well,
After reading terms, conditions, and pages upon pages of horror stories regarding Square, I guess I'm still stuck in the stone ages of Postal M.O. and cash.
The Paypal version looked promising, but my understanding is you have to be a business. Maybe just plain old Paypal, using a smartphone is an option for me, but I still worry about being scammed.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
bcr229
I just dumped my merchant processor for my small biz last week and have been looking into other payment options other than cash, USPS MO, etc. I just found this one: Chase QuickPay

Pros - no fees, person-to-person transfers of funs are available, and there are extra services available for small businesses if desired.

Cons - the payer or payee (not both) must have a Chase checking or savings account and be enrolled in the program. So, you would have to open an account and enroll to ensure that buyers can pay you. The payer and payee accounts do have to be based in the US; no international fund transfers.

Also, I didn't see anything about buyer protection like PayPal or credit cards offer, which may make some purchasers balk if they're concerned about getting ripped off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!