Herp software - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Herp software

has anyone used this software? It looks like you will be able to track everything and also has options for bulk data input with just a few clicks.

http://www.eyehit.com/degei/product.htm

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
shrap
Been using it for years. Love it.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Southern Wolf
thanks Sammy....how do you go about working the data input into your overall workflow?

I want to get more organized... but not necessarly sure how.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
shrap
Keep in mind that there is nothing that herp software can do that cage cards cant. It is just basically a different format. And it is all in one centralized location (your PC) instead of written out on 50 plus individual cards. Having it all in one location helps you study the data easier.

I keep a notebook in the herp room that I right down everything I want to track. Like feedings, refused feedings, defecation, sheds, copulations, ovulations, eggs layed, etc, etc. A couple times a week I will sit at the PC and enter all of the data into Degei.

Where this comes in handy is I can easily track the trends of each animal. Example: Lets say Male X has not eaten since November and it is now February. I can quickly and easily go back over the years and see that he does this every year during this time period. One real example: My oldest het pied girl, she will quit eating each year like clock work exactly ten weeks before she lays. That is a trend I probably never would have noticed without Degei.

You can also see which snake prefers what type of food at a glance. Which really helps when pulling rodents on feeding day. At a glance I can tell what type of rodent, what size of rodent and how many of each type and size of rodent I am going to need to pull.

Like I said, the software really does not do anything (there are a few exceptions) that cage cards cant. It just makes it MUCH easier to analyze the data since it is all in one place. How you use it to benefit you will vary from one person to the next. The possibilities are really endless.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Southern Wolf
Thanks... anyone else?

And my current snake count is closer to 90

I just need to find a good way to keep up with things.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
Shadera
I only have a few dozen snakes so far to keep track of, but I got the Degei just because I know I'd be horrible about keeping up with tub cards. I'd lose them, they'd get wet, etc. I love the way you can organize things with just a few clicks, and upkeep is pretty simple. I keep a notepad downstairs in the snake room, and jot down what I do where. When I come back upstairs, all it takes is a few minutes to type all that info into the program. When you sell or buy animals, if the other person is using the software, files can be sent back and forth with an animals info. I love it, totally worth the money for me.

Have you tried the free version of it?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Southern Wolf
not yet... I just found it tonight

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
norsmis
I have been using it for about 4 years now and I love it also. I do the same as Sammy. The spiral notebook is also a good backup in case something happens to the puter. Great customer support also!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
bwaffa
I haven't used that software, but I'd check out iHerp before pulling the trigger on a software purchase. It's incredible and free! iHerp pro is scheduled to launch soon too, which will add even more sophisticated options than what's already available.

http://www.iherp.com

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
MicroZooKits
check this out as well.... 100% Free

http://www.metzcal.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!