What kind of snake is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
lizzardcomputer
What kind of snake is this?

I bought a albino corn and this snake was in the deal. I dont know what kind this is. The funny thing is there is a Reptibid ad next to this with the same snake.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Sybella
It looks like a Ribbon or Garter to me...but it's really hard to tell. Did the guy give you any information at all, like what it eats? Ribbons and Garters eat fish but Racers and a few other snakes that look a lot like that eat lizards and small rodents.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
lizzardcomputer
Fish

It came with fish and the guy had no ideal what the snake was. He said it had been eating goldfish

Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Sybella
Well, I say she's a Ribbon.

When you pick her up, does she musk you? And, does that musk smell so awful that it makes a Milk or King's musk smells good to you? LOL!! I had a couple Ribbons as a teen and this is what I remember most distinctly about them...that and how cute they were when they chased the goldfish around in a water dish with their open mouth.

You should do some internet searches to compare her to other pictures out there and judge for yourself.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
lizzardcomputer
Thank you

Thank you very much

Old 05-31-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
jt92954@aol.com
it looks like a western ribbon but if it has a light half-moon shape on each side of the back of its neck it's a checkered garter. was it supposed to have been caught native? try to look in a field guide to texas snakes by alan tenant or texas snakes by werler and dixon. whichever it is, it will eat frogs or fish. good luck.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
jt92954@aol.com
p.s. if you dont have access to those books i forgot there's a site called herps of texas that has a picture and description of each herp found in texas. it also has a recording of the call of all the frogs and toads. it's a cool site.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!