about Vets - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
yeloowtang
about Vets

I would like to hear from all of you and even vets if any feel they want to share.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate them and know how important they are , in fact if i could go back 20 years, that would be my career choice..
BUT

relating to my other post about my albino females history with the vet..

my first herp vet (so they say) was ok i guess.. it just bothered me a little that when i went to see them because i wanted medication for her to treat her RI that she came with.
well ok , they can't just sell antibiotics from the counter.. so they say we need to see the snake first.
yes it's a bummer when i tell them, the snake has an RI and i need 5 injections of baytril of .22cc only to have them repeat what i just said and charge me 150$ after showing them how to handle, let alone the argument about hwere to inject.

so that vet said if symptoms are still visible after treatment, she may need to continue the treatment.. OK

she did and when i went to get more, they wanted to see her AGAIN in order to sell more baytril so another 150$.. at that point i had found a source to get baytril and take care of it myself..

since i don't know if the previous owner went baytril and just decided to dump a sick snake on me .. she could very well be imune to this medication, also baytril is hard on snakes and can cause issues..

back to the vet because i wanted fortaz wich is better, but since they don't carry it, they reffered me to that other vet witch is a real herp vet.

off to the new vet i go, verry impressive and you could tell they have experience with snakes, full check up 450$ later including meds,culture, mouth swab ??? fail to see the use of this when the culture is done??? but whatever !!!talking with this VET about where to inject a snake and how the other argued i was wrong !!! she couldn't believe it and called them up to let them know they are wrong and how to properly inject snakes.

now the fun part is she said that she may need to continue after the first set of injections, and they only sold me the meds without requesting a check up..
great finally an honest VET..

ok regarding cultures, i know many swear by this but i will never pay for this again..
WHY ??? because other than identifying the bacteria, in no way does the vet precribe according to it.. they will still prescribe one of the 3 poppular meds out there and usualy it's between only 2 baytril or fortaz.. and will say to you, if one doesn't work, we will try the other one ??? so NO they do not test to see witch one is better... they try and hope the first one works.. talking with the VET they confirmed this, saying it's good to know because maybe a former patient had the same thing and this medication worked better OK tha's all good except she said not all snakes are the same and what works for one doesn't neccessarly work for the other..

then they wanted to do another culture to see if it's still present .150$ again BUT if it still has symptoms, then chances are she does, if she's cleard up and better then she doesn't !!! so they want us to pay just to see..
YES i can see why you would do it, but at some point it does become redicules, if it were 40-50$ ok but at 150$ a shot !!!!????? so enough about cultures

then came the sent gland prolapse that the vet fixed and they precribed anti-inflametories to help with this and more fortaz to be safe..

this is where i am now with her ..

so now she had a shed and i will try to feed her BUT WAIT
i called the VET to see if they have carnivor mix in stock..
my first vet witch is closer, have one package left for 27$ and said i can come pick it up.. great.
so i call my other vet to see if they have some and the price of it ...
WELL what a P.O !!! they do but they require a check up of the snake before they sell it to me WTF !!!!!! another 150$ so they can tell me, yes the snake looks skinny and seem dehydrated, we reccommend tube feeding so she gets her strenght back ????

sorry for venting about this, i respect the vets and understand how important they are.
but come on !!! if they weren't so expensive, more peolpe would go and animals in general would be better off, many animlas are destroyed because between paying
1000s$ for care for a free or cheap animals to replace, the choice of many is the easy route.. I will still got to the VET when needed, but only when absolutely have too.

they had a special report on TV the other regarding vets and costs, they visited 6 vets in our area with a 100% healthy animal and a hidden camera.. only one vet charged the 65$ basic check up and a clear bill of health.. the other 5 costs ranged between 225$ to 745$ for all kinds of testing, one vet even lifted the poor dogs legs so high it cried.. the vet said oh ho !!!! he may have a hip disorder, x-rays and treatment for no reason at all ...
ohhh and they never mentioned the names of the VETS good or bad ....

anyhow this is what i wanted to share and vent about.. I was P.Off when my good vet wanted to charge me a full visit just to sell food sold off the shelf :-(

please feel free to comment or share experiences.