TOOOOOO COLD!!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #21
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Sorry guys misinformation from my part. Someone had changed the settings to centigrades in my weather.com. We left all bundled-up and outside it was a balmy 16 F Enough to through a couple of sausages in the grill.
It was 74 below 0 with the windchill when I was stationed at Ft Riley KS. I still cooked on the grill with all the neighbors watching from their windows.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #22
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
It was 74 below 0 with the windchill when I was stationed at Ft Riley KS. I still cooked on the grill with all the neighbors watching from their windows.

That's HIBERNATION weather man, not grilling weather!!!

Dan, you're right about where I am for temps then....none too warm, but better than it looked in celsius, lol.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 AM   #23
dsirkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
I too was once stationed at Ft Riley.This was so long ago that I spent most of my time in Camp Fungston (which you may not of even heard of). They tore it down after they built Custer Hill.Being from Michigan I don't remember the cold as being anything much to write home about but I can sure remember the bigtime duststorms.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #24
hhmoore
Alright gang...try to remember that this is JUST THE BEGINNING. I don't know about the rest of the country (I mostly mind my own business, lol), but we have had it pretty easy here in upstate NY the past couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it either. I was more than willing to wave goodbye to winter when we were blessed with enough consecutive days above freezing that the 16 inches of snow disappeared. Well, we got another 10, then another 4-6, and there are still 2.5 months of this cursed season left. While accumulations of snow aren't the easiest to traverse on crutches, ice really sucks, lol. On the bright side, I haven't found any compelling reason to actually venture away from home; so I only get cold when I take the dogs outside, and I'm saving a bunch of money on gas. Where's that damn woodchuck that calls the shots about when Spring comes...I wanna ride my bike.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #25
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsirkle
I too was once stationed at Ft Riley.This was so long ago that I spent most of my time in Camp Fungston (which you may not of even heard of). They tore it down after they built Custer Hill.Being from Michigan I don't remember the cold as being anything much to write home about but I can sure remember the bigtime duststorms.
It was beyond cold those years. 70mph winds and most of our field time was in the winter. We had a platoon of Abrahms attached to us and had to use them to thaw the tracks on our Bradleys , lol. Our fearless Battalion Commander decided not to go back after the snow storm warnings and we were the only idiots playing in the 12 - 18 inches of snow that fell on us.

It was so cold we couldn't even dig cat holes. We had to scrape the snow away and mark the trees , LMAO.

When we broke for X-mas block leave , a ton of folks got stranded in rest stops from the storms and snow plows had to get them out. The only way out of Ks for a few days was 15 mph behind the snow plows and the chase fuel trucks. Guys that didn't park their vehicles in the motor pool came back to find their rides broke into , the windows busted and their interiors buried under snow. I even had my door locks freeze a few times.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
The BoidSmith
My back-up space heater in the reptile room kissed it good bye last night. Now I have to go purchase another one. This was expected to happen sooner or later since they work nearly full time during cold weather and it was 3 years old but one way or the other it sucks!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
The BoidSmith
Forecast for tonight -17; it might be worth putting a matress in the snake room if not I won't be able to close an eye tonight. Any polar bears around yet?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #28
BryonsBoas
its supposed to snow here tonight. I'm actually hoping it does.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #29
The BoidSmith
I hear you, we don't mind the snow as it's usually in the 20-30's range, but the artci cold....brrrrr!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #30
Cat_72
It's -8 here right now, the wind chill is somewhere in the -30 range.

The nice lady on TV said we shouldn't go out, but the not-so-nice man called "the boss" (no, not Springsteen) said that he doesn't care what the nice lady said, so I'm here at work. I'm hoping my car will start in the morning when it's time to go home.

There really should be a law against making us go out when it's this damned cold.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!