WTH Rich! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #21
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 144snakes View Post
hey rich let me tell you some thing you are a real a$$ to let any snake go for any reason and with the laws they are trying to pass you are a real dirt bag its like you dont care about the hobby . i am tired of people like you walking in to the my living room and crapping on my carpet thats what you are doing you dont care about this hobby at all well this hobby dont care about you so get the hell out of it and dont let the door hit you where god sure split you
I take it you were unable to understand what was posted in that linked thread. Sorry bud, but that sort of personal abuse is not welcome on this site.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #22
Ed Clark
He is releasing his corn's on his property and it happens to be in the natural range of the corn snake.

I believe that all corn morphs originated from wild caught populations so whats the big problem here?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #23
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
He is releasing his corn's on his property and it happens to be in the natural range of the corn snake.

I believe that all corn morphs originated from wild caught populations so whats the big problem here?
I guess when your right to keep any snake is taken away because of actions like this, you will get it then.
Do you not understand this hobby/industry is under fire right now? Do you not understand that the right for us to keep ANY snake could be taken away? The people trying to take these rights away dont care if its a corn snake or a blind snake thats being released into the wild. All they know is a person who was an industry leading snake producer is letting snakes go in the wild in FLORIDA!!!!!!!! My God people, WAKE UP before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
While it is true that corn snakes as a species are native to where Rich plans to release them, the problem is that there are many subspecies of corn snakes. Captive animals are mutts, and introducing an exotic gene pool to a native subspecies could have really detrimental effects. Subspecies exist because they are best suited to local conditions and they're also the first step into a new species. If captive animals (which were bred from stock all over the country) are released, there are the following consequences:

1. Dilution of native subspecies genetics, weakening the local population to local environmental conditions to which they are adapted.

2. Homogenizing the genetics of continental corn snake populations, potentially eliminating long-term evolution into different, distinct species.

3. Introducing exotic diseases to which the native population has no resistance. For example, Native Americans were decimated due to small pox because they lacked immunity. We're essentially doing the same thing by importing animals of the same species from different locations and then releasing them.

I sincerely hope Rich reconsiders. It is extremely irresponsible to release any captive animal. I like the idea of auctioning them off for PIJAC or USARK. The animals would be finding quality homes with responsible reptile owners and benefiting the reptile community as a whole.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #25
johns6068
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsmis View Post
I guess when your right to keep any snake is taken away because of actions like this, you will get it then.
Do you not understand this hobby/industry is under fire right now? Do you not understand that the right for us to keep ANY snake could be taken away? The people trying to take these rights away dont care if its a corn snake or a blind snake thats being released into the wild. All they know is a person who was an industry leading snake producer is letting snakes go in the wild in FLORIDA!!!!!!!! My God people, WAKE UP before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron

Old 12-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
snowgyre
Has anybody actually contacted Rich about alternatives? I hope people give him the benefit of a doubt and didn't send him lots of antagonistic messages. In my experience, it often encourages people to do the wrong thing as a form of retribution.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post

Are you really this dense?
Releasing captive snakes into the wild is WRONG!
It doesn't matter that they are found in Florida or not. These are CB animals he couldn't sell and adults that are going to be released in January whne they come out of brumation if they aren't sold.

This is a kick in the face to all the hobbyists trying to fight legislation that originated from the belief by govenrment officials that keepers release unwanted snakes into the wild.

Any sheeple who thinks that this is OK needs to take a long hard look at the legislation is pending against the reptile community.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #28
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Has anybody actually contacted Rich about alternatives? I hope people give him the benefit of a doubt and didn't send him lots of antagonistic messages. In my experience, it often encourages people to do the wrong thing as a form of retribution.
Evidently he has been doing this for years and plans to continue doing it.

He is out of the business now and it appears he doesn't care what effect his actions may have on the rest of us.

He isn't going to keep snakes anymore so why should he care if they get banned with the latest legislation that came about from releasing captive animals into the wild.

All RESPONSIBLE keepers need to strongly denounce this type of thing.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #29
MikeCurtin
Sorry, Rich, but I just lost a lot of respect for you. As Vanessa stated, releasing captive snakes into a wild environment is irresponsible....period.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #30
KelliH
I'm really surprised by this. It's not a good thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread