GAS PRICES! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #31
varnyard
Oh, and the price here now is 2.98 a gallon.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #32
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
OMG!

I am hearing on the internet that May 15 (and the day before and after) no one should buy gas, give the companies to think about.

Thi
The only thing it will get them to think about is how gullible everyone really is for falling for such a ridiculous proposal. So no one buys gas on the 14th 15th or 16t. They just fill up on the 13th or the 17th and the oil companies make just as much money. It makes absolutely no difference.

Here is something that will work if everyone would do it but it will never happen because as much as we bitch and moan about high gas prices, the only thing people are willing to do about it is stage stupid meaningless "protests" like not buying gas on a particular day. What will work is filling your tank once a month, instead of once week. This will take a bit of sacrifice because it will mean instead of driving you SUV a mile down the road to get a gallon of milk you just might have to walk. It will mean not running your kids 43 times a day to other places and perhaps, God forbid, maybe spending a couple of evenings at home with them instead of running them to ballet one night, soccer the next, piano lessons the next, a play date with friends across town the next etc. etc. Who knows it might even give you a chance to know your kids a bit better. (by the way Cathy I am not picking on you, the 43 times a day just stuck in my mind) it might mean having to carpool to work with your neighbor who just happens to work in the cubicle next to you at the same office. It might mean parking the Hummer and getting something a bit more practical. I know one a month is beyond the realm of most people and it was an exaggeration, but, if you can cut back a bit and get it down to every 10 days instead of once a week it will make a difference. It may not actually make a difference at the pump but it will make a difference in your pocket, and after all that's what most people are concerned about. I know, you are already driving the least amount possible and there is no way you could possibly put fewer miles on your vehicle. For some people, a very very few people, this may be true, but for the rest of us I think it would be quite easy to pare a few miles off our weekly mileage log.

the bottom line is, if you don't want to spend so much money on gas, DON"T DRIVE SO MUCH. It really can't get much simpler than that.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #33
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter_23
make an effort to for a few days use as little gas a possible it may be effective.
it won't be effective. You have to make an effort to to use as little gas as possible EVERY day for it to be effective.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #34
KelliH
Quote:
Here is something that will work if everyone would do it but it will never happen because as much as we bitch and moan about high gas prices, the only thing people are willing to do about it is stage stupid meaningless "protests" like not buying gas on a particular day. What will work is filling your tank once a month, instead of once week. This will take a bit of sacrifice because it will mean instead of driving you SUV a mile down the road to get a gallon of milk you just might have to walk. It will mean not running your kids 43 times a day to other places and perhaps, God forbid, maybe spending a couple of evenings at home with them instead of running them to ballet one night, soccer the next, piano lessons the next, a play date with friends across town the next etc. etc. Who knows it might even give you a chance to know your kids a bit better. (by the way Cathy I am not picking on you, the 43 times a day just stuck in my mind) it might mean having to carpool to work with your neighbor who just happens to work in the cubicle next to you at the same office. It might mean parking the Hummer and getting something a bit more practical. I know one a month is beyond the realm of most people and it was an exaggeration, but, if you can cut back a bit and get it down to every 10 days instead of once a week it will make a difference. It may not actually make a difference at the pump but it will make a difference in your pocket, and after all that's what most people are concerned about. I know, you are already driving the least amount possible and there is no way you could possibly put fewer miles on your vehicle. For some people, a very very few people, this may be true, but for the rest of us I think it would be quite easy to pare a few miles off our weekly mileage log.
That is one of the best posts I have ever read on this website.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #35
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
OMG!
Man that is horrible. I have to go out today and was wondering if I should fill up or wait for a price drop. Since we are not that high yet I think I will fill up.
I am hearing on the internet that May 15 (and the day before and after) no one should buy gas, give the companies to think about.

This all really stinks, I can not think of one good explaination why this is happening.

Yep hear that all over Europe it has been that way for awhile. Was thankful it wasn't here, until now as I see it coming.
It's always high here. They call it "regional pricing" for this area.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #36
Otter_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind
it won't be effective. You have to make an effort to to use as little gas as possible EVERY day for it to be effective.
The effect would be people would realize that they can cut down the amount of driving etc... When prices were so high last year my wife and I had to start (god forbid) planning ahead. We live in the country so we planned one night all the shopping and did it the one time were were in town (groceries, target etc...) it really did make a big difference. Up here everyone has a SUV, boat (not just fishing but skiing), snowmobile etc...

The other thing is there is alternative fuels etc... people have invented fuel cells and other things to greatly reduce the amount of oil needed. The oil companies approach these people and pay large amounts for the patent (an amount an individual would be to tempted to turn down) and shelve them. Maybe in the long run this is a good thing so neighbors start talking and families spend more time together and actually plan ahead. Right now they feed on people's greed and selfishness.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #37
frankykeno
I've got my own little saving gas plan going on. For $1.10 I can go anywhere in the city of Toledo thanks to public transport. It sucks sometimes but in the end the bus driver can deal with bad weather conditions, traffic, etc. while I read my book and get where I'm going.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #38
Cat_72
Quote:
First off.....I didn't take it as you picking on me at all, lol.

But....I live several miles from ANYPLACE. I work nights, and am on a different schedule than others as I am contracted, so the only person that I know that drives anywhere near my house would have to leave for work 45 minutes early to carpool with me, and then I would have to stay at work an hour late to wait for her to get off, which would mean I wouldn't be home in the morning before my son leaves for school. Then, my daughter attends an alternative high school, which is a 16 mile round trip each day to drop her off, and pick her up. No, there is no bus, no, there are no other students near here to carpool with. My son works now (which is a 12 miles round trip to pick him up, he does walk there after school when it is on a school day). And I am NOT going to tell him that he cannot participate in other school activities like football and academics clubs. And yes, I spend plenty of evenings at home with my kids.

Then, of course, there's the groceries, the other necessities....and I either drive the 12 miles round trip to the nearest town and pay double for them, or drive 30 miles and pay half price. I get as many groceries as I can at a time to try to save on extra trips, but one can only store so much food (I buy beef a years's worth at a time, lol), and when feeding 2 teenagers, well....you do what you can. I buy feed for my farm-type critters in bulk as much as possible.

My whole point is....I do what I can to save on gas. I have parked my truck unless I need it to haul feed or such....but I keep hearing about carpooling, taking public transportation, walking or riding our bicycle to work and such. Not everyone has ANY of these options even available to them.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #39
Laura Fopiano
Cathy

Thank god I'm not the only one that lives out in the stix.

I live in South/East Georgia, the closest city is Columbus, it is a forty five minute drive one way. The term "going into town" holds a whole new meaning to this born and raised So Cal. girl. When I lived in So Cal. (3 months ago) I thought it was a good idea to buy a Hybrid, so I did, but the intersting thing is my little SUV doesn't get the great gas millage that the manufacturer's thought it would.

We fill my tank twice a week just to get to work and back. That doesn't include going to the market, and running errands.

Bry and I rarely go out, not because we are trying to save on gas, but because we live on 35 acres and choose to stay here and go field herping in the woods and water ways of this beautiful area, take care of our boa's, gecko's, our large rat colonies, and just be together laughing and having fum.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #40
sschind
Otter- you may be right. if people would make a conscious effort to cut back for three days they MIGHT see that it is not so hard and they MIGHT make a habit of it. I doubt it however. The whole mindset of the people who participate in these things is quick fix. They think that if they don't buy gas for three days then the oil companies will cave in and lower the prices. If it works they get all excited and pat themselves on the back pick up right where they left off.

I'm not sure I buy totally into your conspiracy theory. The fact is that pretty much the only private industry that is wealthy enough and has the infrastructure to create and distribute these alternative energy sources on a wide spread scale is the oil industry. What I see as a more likely scenerio in the future is some person or small company will develope an alternative energy source that is practical. the problem is they won't be able to get it off the ground. Once they do about 90% of the work the oils industry will step in, offer them the money you suggest. Then, rather than shelving the idea they will take it the final 10% to reality and say "see, you wanted an alternative energy source and we got you one. You'll have to pay dearly for it though.

As pointed out in the Peak Oil link that Kelli provided, the world is running out of oil. It may be happening faster than they claim or it may be happening slower than they claim but the fact remains, oil is a limited resource. Oil companies would be foolish if they did not see this fact and start to diversify. It is not in a companies best interest to continue to depleat its income source without make plans on how it will replace this income. Trust me, the oil companies are as intersted in alternative fuels and anyone else, perhaps more so. Do you think they really want some other guy to come up the magic elixer that renders their product obsolete? No, they want to be that guy. If this country, or the world in general is going to ever overcome its dependence on oil it will be the oil companies that will have to lead the way.

Cathy- I believe you. Obviously for those who live in rural areas driving is more more of a neccesity than a luxury. Like I said, there are a few people who have already cut back as much as is practical, but I would suspect that number is not very high. All I can say to you is "The best anyone can do is to do everything they can do" if that makes any sense. I know it still sucks to be paying the high prices but sometimes there are just things we can't do anything more about.

Kelli- I read the Peak oil link. I didn't read all the links within the article but it was very intereting. A little gloom and doom I think but maybe that's what it will take.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!