Florida state law issues - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #61
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Well I know when I was doing Lauren's shows she did not allow outside animals in unless it was with a Vendor. From what I gathered in this situation the officers asked if vendors were interested in purchasing the Scarlets and the ones that were interested were given citations if they violated the rule by not verifying that the seller had the required license. In Florida anyone selling any animal must be licensed through the Permits of FWS. In this case with the Officers playing the part of having the animals they did not violate anything as they probably did not even have any animals. If they offered them to the vendors and the vendors wanted them more than likely the deal was set up to happen after the doors closed or in the parking lot. Anyone that is licensed and buys animals from an individual must verify that the individual has the required license.

I personally think it is a crock of Horse pucky and the only person that should get into trouble is the person trying to sell without a license. We should not be required to baby sit others in regards to them selling an animal. I can tell you many people online that are in Florida and advertise on KS and other sites that are not licensed to do so. Even to sell online in Florida you must be Licensed. While that should be cracked down big time they (Florida FWS) don't seem to want to pursue that situation but rather take the easiest thing they can and try and get a bust that way.

Also on the question if a person buys an animal and returns is a week or so later, no they would not be violating the rules as they are not selling the animal but rather obtaining a refund. In the State of Florida there is a regulation for Pet Shops (I am not sure if it extends to other sellers such as at shows) that if they sell an animal they must return the animal if there are health problems and such. This is a regulation that is not enforced at all but very well could be. Alot of Pet Stores and sellers have a "No Refund on Live Animals" Policy even though they are not supposed to do that.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #62
brucestephenson
The best opinion I can get at the big regional wholesaler is that it now all boils down to money. Florida Fish and Wildlife wants to get as many people permitted as possible to keep themselves afloat.
Myself, I do not mind paying the $50.00 per year to keep other idiots off my back. This is what I want them, as the government to do, and what I as the governed pay them well to do.
Of course, Thomas Jefferson is spinning at 15,000 RPM in his grave as I write this, because he never expected our personal freedoms to be so diminished.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:29 PM   #63
markwebb
KY Permit Info ?

Anyone have an opinion on the "inport permit" required in Kentucky? I have been told by certain parties that if you bring a reptile into Kentucky from another state you need a permit. If you travel through KY with a reptile from outside KY you need the permit (such as traveling from Alabama to Indiana via I-65).

Others have been very adament that reptiles are excluded from the import permit statute because they are not native wildlife.

Can anyone shed real good light on the situation in KY. If the strict intrepretation were correct, if ya live in The Bluegrass and go to an out-of-state show and buy a snake, you need the permit to re-enter the state with the snake (well, the snake needs the permit). You'd also need the permit if you were a big Florida dealer (just an example) traveling to a show in Illinois via I-65N would need the permit to enter KY and traverse the state of Kentucky.

BTW - there permit requires a vet certificate for the animals - so it's not just a simple permit.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #64
Dwight Good
Re: KY Permit Info ?

Quote:
Originally posted by markwebb
Anyone have an opinion on the "inport permit" required in Kentucky? I have been told by certain parties that if you bring a reptile into Kentucky from another state you need a permit.
Mark,
Yes, that is correct. Any wildlife that enters the state must be accompanied by an import permit.

Quote:
If you travel through KY with a reptile from outside KY you need the permit (such as traveling from Alabama to Indiana via I-65).
According the way I read the laws as written, I would think the above statement is true as well. But a call to the guys at fish and game would clarify this.

Quote:
Others have been very adament that reptiles are excluded from the import permit statute because they are not native wildlife.
Native or exotic, reptiles are NOT excluded from the import permit statute. Whoever told you this is misinformed.

Quote:
Can anyone shed real good light on the situation in KY. If the strict intrepretation were correct, if ya live in The Bluegrass and go to an out-of-state show and buy a snake, you need the permit to re-enter the state with the snake (well, the snake needs the permit).
That is correct. If you went to Columbus and bought snakes, lizards, etc then you would have to have an import permit to bring them back to Kentucky. I thought we had this discussion on the KHS board??

Quote:
BTW - there permit requires a vet certificate for the animals - so it's not just a simple permit.
Sorry but this is false. The requirement for a CVI has been waived for reptiles and amphibians. If you go to the Kentucky Fish and wildlife site, the regs are listed.

Hope this helps,
Dwight Good

Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #65
markwebb
I got your info on KHS, but...........

I did get your good and valuable info on KHS message board, but I was reading the thread here on David Beard's wounded snake and the discusssion somehow evolved to a debate on the KY Import Permit requirements, and some folks in KY who claim to be very close to the legislation said it does not apply to non-native species and they they were in Frankfort for a discussion/intrepretation or the drafting of the legislation and actually had a hand in writing it and that species not native to KY were not implied or intended to require a permit. Someone else - a big breeder (from outside KY but familiar with our laws) - also reiterated and supported this position.

So....I know I am easily confused - but man I am now spinning !!!

Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #66
KNOBTAIL
Well I am glad that I posted this

information when it was brought to my attention through Lauren. We just have to be vigilant, and think in terms of moderation when being approached by anyone we dont know offering "great deals".

Its a sign of "something wicked, this way cometh" and this may only be the beginning of what the fish and game people will go through. A very sad commentary. JERRY

Old 12-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #67
brucestephenson
What is the KHS board please?

Old 12-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #68
markwebb
KHS

Kentucky Herp Society

Old 12-14-2003, 10:49 PM   #69
brucestephenson
I feel sorry for you. Kentucky laws suck big time. Sorry about the point.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #70
brucestephenson
I heard that the laws in Kentucky were personally written by the evil jerk who heads their Fish and Wildlife, a guy named Lt. Col. Sanders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!