Tennessee state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Aethelred
Also I just found this:

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

Tennessee
Category: B
Summary of Law: It is unlawful for persons to possess Class I wildlife unless they were in possession of the animal(s) prior to June 25, 1991. Class I wildlife includes the following orders: Primates (gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, gibbons, siamangs, mandrills, drills, baboons, Gelada baboons only); Carnivores (all wolves, all bears, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, cougars); Proboscidia (all elephants); Perissodactyla (all rhinoceroses); Artiodactyla (all hippos and African buffalos); Crocodylia (crocodiles and alligators); Serpentes (all poisonous snakes); and Amphibians (all poisonous species). However, the state does not regulate private possession of species not listed above, such as monkeys and small non domesticated cats (ocelots, servals, etc.).
Citation: TENN. CODE ANN §70-4-401, §70-4-403, and §70-4-404

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
nx2ured
I keep and breed Dart Frogs. Is there anything special I need to do to ensure my animals are legal since all are captive bred and are no longer poisonous? The way I understand it is that it is unlawful to possess all poisonous species of amphibians which would mean wild caught since they are harmless in captivity. Does this sound correct? I have read these guidelines many times before, but they all seem so vauge that I also figured ignorance was bliss.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Aethelred
I have looked and looked for permits, but the only things I can find are for commercial/institutional/zoo use. I have not found any permits for personal ownership, unfortunately. I'd love to know what it takes to legally own a few tortoises.

Nx--the way I understand it is that poison dart frogs are NOT poisonous in captivity. In the wild they eat special insects that make them poisonous. In captivity they just eat fruit flies, so they are no longer poisonous.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
SnakeGirl3
Dagan: Thanks for all of the useful information! It's greatly appreciated by myself, and others I am certain. I agree, I would not want to eat my pet turtle. The law is so out there on this one. I just tend to stay away from keeping turtles since they are not legal (technically), that way there's no question about it, though it would be nice if we could keep them as pets.

Off topic: I had no idea you were in Maryville! I am as well. It would be great to meet up and discuss reptiles one day! LOL I was at the event that the Blount County Humane Society organized, The CritterFest, just last Sunday displaying my snakes and trying to educate. LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
nx2ured
Maryville? I'm in Maynardville, just north of Knoxville.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Aethelred
Awesome! You guys live close! We need to get together sometime. I didn't know there was a CritterFest event--darn, I missed it.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
nx2ured
I know, not many local people around!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
SnakeGirl3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelred View Post
Awesome! You guys live close! We need to get together sometime. I didn't know there was a CritterFest event--darn, I missed it.
Yep, we were the only reptile booth there. As you probably know, herps aren't exactly common here. LOL But we sure stayed busy! I had my morphs there, and a friend from Knoxville brought some of hers to show. It will be in May again next year, and I do one in Alcoa every October (as long as the weather isn't too chilly for the snakes ).

Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
nx2ured
Snakegirl, does the show in Alcoa ever have frogs? I would love to make some local connections.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
SnakeGirl3
It's more of a mammal-pet thing, but they like to include reptiles to show/educate. That particular one pushes spay/neuter for mammals, so no selling animals is allowed, but we can talk shop and meet after the event. There haven't been frogs there yet, but if you have some and can bring some to educate with, PM me or email me and I can get you the info on event dates once they've set it this year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!