Normal behavior? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Question Normal behavior?

I am new to beardies so I have a question about whether this behavior is normal.

It sets on its rock under the lamp occassionally and opens its mouth slightly. Is this ok?

Is it ok to use a dropper as opposed to a spray bottle to hydrate them?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Cat_72
They sit with their mouth open to regulate their temperature, and it's perfectly normal.

I prefer to either bathe them in the sink or spray them with a spray bottle to give them a drink....I would suppose as long as they drink enough from a dropper it would be OK, but someone who has been into Beardies longer than I may have a more definite answer....they may benefit from the moisture on their skin as well from the bathing or spraying.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Chris Steele
how deep should the bath water be? up to mid leg or so?

Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
starwarsdad
I run the water up to their sides. Other than an occasional bath, the only water mine get is on the greens and veggies they eat. I have misted them since they were juveniles. They are fat, healthy 4 year olds.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
starwarsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad
I have misted them since they were juveniles.
Should have said "I have not misted them since they were juveniles."

Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Chris Steele
What do you guys let your night temps get down to?

Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Chris Steele
Still looking for answers on the above question. A vet keeps giving me information contradictory to the caresheets I read so I thought I'd get more input here.

I THINK SHE IS STRESSED
My girlfriends beardie hissed at her when she tried to pick it up today. What might be causing this? I am guessing stress from her dog looking into the cage and her grandmother talking (seems like shouting to me) as she looked at it earlier that day.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Court308
I would not let the temperate get below 65 degrees at night. Some people say 60 as an absolute minimum.

She may be stressed. You can tape up paper around the edges of her cage to reduce the stress of people/dogs around her.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Court308
how long has your girlfriend had this beardie?? How old is it?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Chris Steele
Just a few weeks if that. It won't mind having no outside view? Anyway I am building a shelf to put it on to solve the dog problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!