Purple flame - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
GotHerps?
Purple flame

Has anyone ever heard of a purple flame morph in beardies? There is one for sale on KS right now, it's pretty cool looking but something looks weird about it, maybe cause his head is so big. Just curious is to if anyone has heard of this morph, the seller said it is a CB.
Thanks,
Robin

Old 01-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
rujonesin
People are continually giving new names to dragons. Have you really ever seen a purple dragon? Or even a purple flame on anything? For dragon lines that have legitimate names lots of work has gon into producing those lines. A name like that usually indicates a bloodline more than a morph. It would be my guess that very little backgound work has been done in developing this particular bloodline and this dragon just looked a little different and the seller thought a catchy name might help sell the dragon.

As for the head it is normal for some males to have big meaty heads like that. It looks more dispropotionate because the dragon looks a little underweight. That too could be normal as my males lose weight during breeding season.

Mike

Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
GotHerps?
No, I have never seen a purple dragon or a purple flame anything, well not sober anyways. That is why I asked, I do not breed them. I own one. I had never seen anything that looked quite like this and just wanted to see what anybody thought. For all I know it's not a beardie at all, but some mutant toad from Zimbabwe. Do you have any idea what bloodline this is? The seller told me it was a purple flame crossed with a normal. He said they bought this male and all the babies, he is emailing more pics tomorrow. And yes, I checked the BIO, which makes me more interested on the thoughts of others.
Thank you,
Robin

Old 01-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
CheriS
That is a new one to me too, but in the last year alone I have seen at least 5 new "so called" names that are only something the owner stuck on them.

That dragon does appear to be very thin and about to shed, which can be an idicator or recent weight loss or weight gain, but fat pads are okay and the legs look got, so as the person above said, it could be he as been off eating due to breeding. Should probaby have a fecal done on him also, just to rule out parasites

Here is one we have that is the same color, but a bit more filled out and when he goes to shed it is very lavender looking

Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
rujonesin
I agree with Cheri that it looks to be going into shed. That can dramatically alter the appearance of any dragon. While lavender is definately a color often seen in dragons I would not purchase this dragon with any expectations of it being something genetically different. I don't remember the price on him but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for his appearance. I am not trying to talk you into or out of buying it just letting you know if you breed him and start selling purple flame babies it's not going to help your credibility as a breeder. Without any documentation or history of it's genetic background he is really nothing more than a normal bloodline with some lavender in it, which is fine as long as, that's what you're selling them as.

Mike

Old 01-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
GotHerps?
Thank you both for your replies. They were very informative. I have no intention of purchasing this particular dragon, but I thought if this was a true bloodline, then it would be something I would consider looking for. I like the color/ pattern, though I also thought the same about him going into shed. This particular dragon though looks a little to weird for my preferences. Cheri, I really like your dragon, what bloodline/s is he?
Thank you again,
Robin

Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
CheriS
He is from the German Giant line, hatch by Jeff Spelling out of OK. His siblings are very orange but he had these lighter pastel colors. His nails are dark, so depending on what you consider a Hypo or pastel, he could possibly be called that, but his parents or siblings were not.

Maybe somewhere futher back in his genetics there is.

NOTE: some people feel that a true hypo should have clear nails, but others feel that it is a separate gene

Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Reptayls
Robin...

We have a very large female that looks much like the male that is for sale on KS. We were told she is a "silver glow"... and to be honest - she IS silver grey with darker silver grey markings. She does not show any red or gold markings at all anywhere on her body or head - just all silver grey. When she gets in her bath - she gets a bit darker is all.

We call our light grey female BD - "normal"....

The head of the male (purple flame), may be odd looking due to camera angle or it may be lack of body weight. We have one male that came to us thin - but has since put on more body weight, and his head looks less exaggerated. Could it be possible that there is some GG in the bloodlines too??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!