ups question - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #41
Blue Gorgon
I'm glad DHL is better where you are, actually I have heard before that the service is better in the NE. Maybe it's just certain service stations out here that like to pretend their packages are flaming bags of dog poo. I just prefer to play it safe after my experiences, I worry enough about those sweet little (and not so little) snakies enough as is and am cursed with a vivid imagination to boot! Paranoid and overprotective.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #42
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gorgon
I'm actually a bit surprised anyone would want to ship a live animal through DHL...

Anything I've ever had delvered by them has been damaged and/or just dumped on the porch, and I'm not the only one who's had these problems with them. I had a wood cage delivered once that looked like it had been hurled against a brick wall, and the delivery guy was gone seconds after he knocked like fleeing the scene of a crime. Noone signing for it or anything. My friend had them just dump expensive electronics on her porch in the hot AZ sun where anybody could take it. The company I got the cage from dropped them as a shipper shortly after, because of numerous broken and lost cages.

I wouldn't trust DHL with anything, let alone a poor innocent live animal.
If I was to look (not even that hard either) I could find similar such claims against the other two major shippers also. I can name several of my "great" experiences with UPS alone in just the last year.
I chose to use DHL because I have actually read of less animal horror stories online with them than the other two.

The only reason i have heard of people using UPS is the price break they get. I haven't read of anything spactacular coming fom them at all where service is concerned, only "they are cheaper". But, they are also notorious for leaving packages on door steps. I've come home at 3:30 before and found My frozen rodents sitting inside my gate in the sun, with it clearly written in marker on the box...."After 4 PM delivery" and "Frozen product" also written on the box.

Never having used FedEx, i cannot personally say anything bad about them, but I have read of several cooked animals because of their signature release thing they got going.

We could sit here and find fault in all the carriers without even trying. Some people see good things in one carrier, while others see it differently. It's all a matter of personal choice. Aint America great.

Me personally, i agree with what harold said about the logic of the reps. I want My delta account to get finished, because i should not have to write "Lizard" when it is a "Snake" especially when some of the lizards they OK can be fairly harmful if escaped. I would think a 3 foot monitor could do conciderable more damage than a 3 foot boa, or corn, etc. That's logic for you. LOL
But bottom line, I should not have to falsly represent my package just to get it where it's going, so My time with DHL is short for that reason alone. If delta finds My paperwork that is.

Rick

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #43
Blue Gorgon
True, I shouldn't generalize big corporations like that, it all depends on the individuals you're dealing with, really. All my experiences with FedEx have been excellent, and all my experiences with DHL (and everything I've heard before this thread) have been awful and lots of other folks have probably had just the opposite be true! So, yeah. Just sharing my two cents. I'd honestly never heard a positive word about DHL till today, so it's news to me. I wish all shipping methods could be 100% safe, but that's just not the reality. We make due the best we can, I guess!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #44
hhmoore
My experiences with DHL had been negative, until recently. I had received a package marked: bill to receiver - but I had paid the seller. When I contacted him, he was nothing short of an ass, and refused to help remedy the situation. I contacted DHL, and after they confirmed that I would be receiving a bill, I sent them a copy of his request for prepayment of shipping, a copy of my payment receipt, and copies of the pertinent correspondence...I was told that they would reinvoice that to be billed to the shipper's account. And to date, I have not received a bill. Thumbs up to DHL for that one (how hard is that for me to say, lol)

Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #45
hhmoore
well - it's been about 10 days since I did my (online) account request with Unishippers...with no response other than the automated notification that I would be contacted with a few days. I guess I'll have to make a call next week, lol.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #46
TripleMoonsExotic
If you PM me I can give you my reps email so that you can get directly through.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #47
hhmoore
I'll give these guys another week (I will probably be too busy next week to mess with such things anyway). Then I will rattle some cages, and/or drop you a line.
Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 AM   #48
TripleMoonsExotic
I talked with my DHL pickup guy yesterday (Monday) about shipping snakes and he told me DHL (at least at his hub) is aware of it and allow it. Said before coming to pick up my shipments he delivered 2 boxes of snakes to different locations.

Though Parcel Post told him they had denied shipping someones turtle (via DHL). He then corrected them that it was permitted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!