Reptster Shipping - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #91
nocturnal1
Hi,

Just noticed SPJ's reference to Reptster rounding up on box and weight.

I just shipped a package out Monday and indicated 2 pounds but the system insisted on 5 pounds so I gave up because it was still cheaper than my Fedex account.

Fedex did indicate weight at 2 pounds when I dropped off the package so you are saying I was charged for 5 pounds regardless?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #92
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal1
Fedex did indicate weight at 2 pounds when I dropped off the package so you are saying I was charged for 5 pounds regardless?
Yes, because you paid thru Reptster for 5 pounds.
Granted, in my case, the rounded up price was still less than what I would have gotten using my account but this is a glitch in the Reptster portal IMO.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #93
SPJ
Well, it looks like some are pocketing the difference of what Reptster charges and the $65 standard shipping fee some are charging customers or even more by some since they claim cool packs add a lot of weight.

That is total BS if you ask me.

I shipped a 12" x 9" x 6" box with an adult female BP and large cool pack from CT to Georgia for $31.

I also shipped a 12" x 9" x 6" box with 2 small cool packs and 2 baby BP's from CT to Nevada and it was $46.

I don't believe for a minute that 2 baby boas or a baby sav or 2 baby leos will be $65 or more no matter where you ship (even with cool packs) thru Repster as some are claiming.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #94
nocturnal1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Well, it looks like some are pocketing the difference of what Reptster charges and the $65 standard shipping fee some are charging customers or even more by some since they claim cool packs add a lot of weight.

That is total BS if you ask me.

I shipped a 12" x 9" x 6" box with an adult female BP and large cool pack from CT to Georgia for $31.

I also shipped a 12" x 9" x 6" box with 2 small cool packs and 2 baby BP's from CT to Nevada and it was $46.

I don't believe for a minute that 2 baby boas or a baby sav or 2 baby leos will be $65 or more no matter where you ship (even with cool packs) thru Repster as some are claiming.
SBJ - I'm with you. I pass along the savings to my customers but I can tell some people are pocketing it. It's a shame - people need to stop being greedy and pass along the benefit. I refuse to do business with anyone who doesn't have reasonable shipping anymore. There is absolutely no reason for it.

Tina

Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #95
nocturnal1
By the way, I just shipped a baby boa the other day (box and all was only 2 lb.) but even though Reptster rounded it to 5 lb., it still only cost me $42 to send Priority Overnight to IL...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #96
FunkyRes
I agree.
It's fair to charge a small fee for packing related supplies such as cold/heat packs - but I like to charge the customer what it really costs me - simply because I like to be charged what it really costs to ship to me.

I use to charge $10 box charge - I don't do enough volume to bulk order boxes, I believe a live animal should always be shipped in a CLEAN new box, and I would cut my own insulation. With reptster sending me the boxes with insulation, I can drop the cost of my box charge to just a few bucks. I may drop it all together once I start sewing my own snake bags, heat/cold packs are not very expensive.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #97
TripleMoonsExotic
Ok, so I was a little bored and sat and watched the Reptster shipping video for poops and giggles...

I have some concerns...

1) They recommend destroying the insulating property of the the styrofoam box by stabbing holes in them for "ventilation." Shipping boxes are not air tight, you do not need to jeopardize the insulating properties of the shipping box by stabbing holes in it...

2) They recommend putting a heat pack UNDER the animal? Good way to cook them! Heat packs should be taped to the side or top of a box.

3) No mention of the required scientific/common name label for the shipment to be legal.

Hasn't anyone else actually watched the video and seen this?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #98
FunkyRes
The ventilation thing - it may be an issue with adult snakes as some heat packs consume oxygen in their reaction. Sure, the boxes are not air tight, but the flow of oxygen is limited. Poking a few holes will not destroy the insulation properties, though it will allow some cold air in - the insulation is still effective at dampening temperature change and protection against contact of the box with extremes.

As far as where the heat pack goes - regardless of where you put it, you need to have proper insulation between the heat pack and the reptile, because despite all the "this side up" labels in the world, the guy loading the box is more concerned about building a wall than following the directional instructions on the box. I use to work for UPS - "this side up" means nothing. The only person who pays attention to it is the delivery guy, for appearances sake.

I do however put the heat pack on the side myself - taped to the insulation.

Yes - they do need to mention Lacey act compliance. That's not a small fine.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #99
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes
The ventilation thing - it may be an issue with adult snakes as some heat packs consume oxygen in their reaction. Sure, the boxes are not air tight, but the flow of oxygen is limited. Poking a few holes will not destroy the insulation properties, though it will allow some cold air in - the insulation is still effective at dampening temperature change and protection against contact of the box with extremes.
Perhaps, but the 100's of packages I've personally sent out have never had "ventilation" holes and I've never had a problem, nor would I ever recommend someone do that. I would rather prevent the cold/hot air influx by not damaging the insulation (damaging the insulation does reduce the protection properties of it). If I get a package from someone and they stabbed holes in it, I'm for sure going to say something to them.

Quote:
As far as where the heat pack goes - regardless of where you put it, you need to have proper insulation between the heat pack and the reptile, because despite all the "this side up" labels in the world, the guy loading the box is more concerned about building a wall than following the directional instructions on the box. I use to work for UPS - "this side up" means nothing. The only person who pays attention to it is the delivery guy, for appearances sake. I do however put the heat pack on the side myself - taped to the insulation.
No argument there...However it should not be loose in the bottom. It should be taped to the side or top. I too prefer side because they're less likely to carry the box side ways then upside down.

Quote:
Yes - they do need to mention Lacey act compliance. That's not a small fine.
I was always curious...What exactly is the fine? Does anyone know?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #100
Gary O
I believe it is around 150 to 300 dollars. I could be wrong

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster