ship your reptiles website - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
mike17l
Congrats to the ProExotics crew. This looks great. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Jerry_c_62
Competition, the heart of capitalism, I love it. Should be a great thing for the hobby.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn@Pro Exotics View Post
Anyone that ships under the All Pro Shipping sites will be included in our UPS agreement on snake shipping- meaning YOU CAN LEGALLY SHIP SNAKES with ShipYourReptiles.com, or any of our APS sites. Non-venomous, of course
It was never illegal to ship any non-venomous reptile through any courier other then USPS.

I'm curious...Why UPS? FedEx already provides a Reptile Shipping Waiver, was their a reason why you went after UPS instead of FedEx?

I might have to consider offering UPS as an alternative shipping method. My UPS driver is an idiot (always delivers my stuff to the wrong house), but I have three UPS pickup locations within a 5 mile radius of home, so packages could just be dropped off at one of those locations.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
MohrSnakes
Nice to see pro's in it this time.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
robyn@Pro Exotics
You are right, it isn't actually a legality issue, it is a policy issue. Shipping against UPS policy can get your account cancelled though, and certainly does not create friendly relations.

Breeders and sellers are worried, rightfully so, about the current lack of ability to ship snakes using UPS services. Shipping under the All Pro Shipping banner (including our niche hobby sites like ShipYourReptiles) includes you in our hard won exception : )

As for UPS vs. FedEx, certainly folks have their own experiences, good and bad, but in 15 years of shipping with UPS, thousands and thousands of packages, my issues with UPS barely break double digits.

FedEx on the other hand, does not give us the same result.

Both of the services, on the whole, do an excellent job. You are talking about millions of packages each day. The exceptions are a small percentile, overall. But when I compare that percentile of FedEx with UPS, the choice, for us, is simple.

UPS gives us reliable, predictable, affordable service, for both PE and our customers.

UPS is the industry leader. FedEx has worked hard in the last couple of years to court the reptile shipping market, to their credit. And they have made strong inroads. Their success is a large part, I believe, of what really opened the ears at UPS to this type of arrangement, and we intend to hit not just a home run with it, but a grand slam.

(as for retail pricing, these two shipping giants are extremely competitive. retail pricing is at parity. there are other surcharges that are added above and beyond the freight charge- residential surcharges, rural, fuel- these add to your total cost, and can be seen as "extra charges, you jerks", but those are also at parity between UPS and FedEx. our next day air rate is set at 30% below the retail rate, but you still have surcharges for the above items, there is no way around those : )

Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Gary O
Very good news Robyn!! Thanks to you and the crew for working so hard at this. A great thing. Any banners we can put up on our sites to show support to this great thing?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #27
robyn@Pro Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
My UPS driver is an idiot (always delivers my stuff to the wrong house), but I have three UPS pickup locations within a 5 mile radius of home, so packages could just be dropped off at one of those locations.
You can drop off your package at any UPS counter- the UPS facility, UPS Store, any Office Depot has a UPS counter, you can even hand it to a driver you flag down. Your APS package is prepaid and ready to go.

As for the driver delivering to the wrong house, if that is indeed the case, call it in. UPS is VERY strict about driver performance. A few dings can put the driver on notice that deep water is coming.

I have explored this "driver" issue with UPS, in the course of our development. Not getting required sigs, not making the delivery attempt, delivering to the wrong address, or the bushes, are all unacceptable. Having just a couple of reports to this type of reality can get you a whole new driver, or at least the individual attention you need.

I am NOT ADVOCATING a phone campaign against your driver, but if it is plain ignorance, or poor performance, you do NOT have to tolerate that as a "cost of doing business".

With APS, we have a special team of UPS customer service reps, but since you would be OUR client, you would relay the issue or problem directly to us (call me directly if you like) and we will knock the heads as necessary. If my hammer doesn't work, I will get a bigger hammer.

I won't tolerate consistent poor performance, and neither should you : )

Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
robyn@Pro Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
Very good news Robyn!! Thanks to you and the crew for working so hard at this. A great thing. Any banners we can put up on our sites to show support to this great thing?

Yes, banners are coming soon, including something for BOI. I need to call Rich...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
tricksterpup
Well this is good news and I do wish you the best.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #30
KathyLove
Hi Robyn,

Congrats on a job well done - hope it works out great!

Will your service eventually offer deeper discounts if somebody ships more volume, above some set amount? Or will the discount be the same whether a shipper sends one box a month, or 50 boxes?

I have never shipped via UPS. I will have to look into any advantages as far as drop places, etc. It sounds like, unlike Fedex, residential delivery will be allowed for live animals? And we would not need our own UPS account as we would ship under yours?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!