UPS Snake Awareness - "we dont ship snakes! " - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Andy'sReptiles
UPS Snake Awareness - "we dont ship snakes! "

Hey guys,

I felt that making this a separate thread might be more helpful, rather than just posting my experience under one of the BOI where there is a lot of stuff to sort through.

I should have known better, but I got swept up in the hubbub and excitement of shipyourreptiles.com and forgot that I might face the issue of staff not being aware of the exception to their policy. (As many have experienced with FedEx).

Got a call after my mother dropped off the package at the local UPS store (I'm in school, so coordinating this from a distance added to the anxiety), asking what was in the package?
(apparently my mother had mentioned to the clerk, who looked as if he were about to toss it onto a cart, to be careful as it was a live animal) It was packaged in one of the superior enterprise boxes, and was only marked perishable.

I explained that it was simply a non-venomous/harmless live reptile, a baby ball python to be exact. The manager told me they will not ship snakes, and that they could get in "big trouble" if they tried to send it.
I tried to explain but the lady would hear nothing of this nature(some kid calling her, telling her how her company works!), so she said we would have to retrieve the package. I asked if i could make some calls, and get back to her.

I then spent over an hour speaking with 5 or 6 different people at UPS. First at the county hub, then the 1-800 number.
Each time I explained my situation, and was told that since the website says no snakes, any exception was impossible.
I just kept repeating the exercise with each person, asking to speak with a superior each time. finally got someone who said the next step was to speak with corporate, which closed 20mins earlier... So, with nothing left to do, I had to retrieve the package.

I then called shipyourreptiles.com, and spoke with Walt(I think that was his name) who was very helpful, and reassured me that they were working hard to get UPS to spread the word, but in the meantime to just drop off the packages at Staples or OfficeMax where they wouldn't be so strict when picking up the packages.

My customer didn't feel very confident, and so we decided to just send the snake via FedEx the next day(which was today).

I called back shipyourreptiles.com to ask about getting a refund, and Walt once again, helped me out like I was a personal friend.

I understand how large the company is, but UPS could sure use some tips on customer service!

So, just a reminder: It might be safer to wait until the news trickles down the ladders of UPS, using Staples, Office Max, or the home pickup, as instructed by shipyourreptiles.com.
Although pickup should probably be the latter choice, to cut down on time it sits in a cold/hot truck.

I the mean time, I might give corporate a call, to let them know... if everyone calls UPS and tells them to look into it we might get the word to spread faster..?

*Note, I did send a package through SYR.com the other week, and had to have a package picked up by the truck, and that went just fine. I am assuming simply becasue the driver didn't know it was a *gasp* snake.

Just thought I'd share my experience for what its worth..

Andy

Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
charmer
Yikes...

That is a very real fear of mine and I'm sorry to hear that it went the way it did for you! I used the SYR.com site once to ship and the box said 'small harmless reptile' on each side, but luckily nobody questioned me at the drop off center. I wonder though now... what if UPS had pulled that little stunt when the package was at some other point during shipping and you were unable to 'retrieve' the package?? That possibility scares me sh#tless!

I will take note of this thread and keep it in mind when I go to ship another animal out in the near future..

Thanks for the heads up!
Stephanie Siebert

Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
SPJ
This is the exact reason why I am still using my Fed Ex account to ship.
At least there is something in writing stating they allow snakes to be shipped.

Until UPS or SYR.com has a waiver or other type of document I can present if a problem arises, it's better to just ship with Fed Ex instead of dealing with refusals and traveling all over to find a place to take the package.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Willow
Aww Andy! Im so glad your letting people know about this problem =)

I was Andy's customer when this all went down....he called me very promptly after he realized he was not able to ship my little snake out that day with the problems that UPS where giving him. I was very thankful he called me, and we decided he would ship through FedEx to just avoid any more issues with UPS....Andy was quite frustrated, with every right to be. Im very glad he had me as a customer and not someone who would have gotten upset with him. I know there are people out there that are less then understanding, but I was just thrilled with how Andy was dealing with a situation that wasnt at all his fault. He updated me on the problem and it was very very quickly resolved

my snake arrived the next day....and Im very happy with her...female mojave ball python, simply beautiful! =)

Andy was obbviously embarressed about the occurance, even with me assuring him it wasnt his fault. Tho i can understand on a sellers part, that you never feel good when something goes wrong, and always have the worry that it may end up worst or the customer may end up unhappy with you even thought you did everything you could to resolve such a problem

I did receieve 2 snakes via UPS from another breeder the day prior....so i guess it's just depending on the area you may be in and how well they know their new policys

but yes...be careful and i would suggest not attempting to ship through UPS untill AFTER you speak with them and make sure they arnt going to cause any problems for you or your buyer =)

But as for Andy....kudos to you my friend...so far my new little darling is doing well and shes just a beauty =D

Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
JonnyMcSavage
While we are on the topic of UPS, Stephanie(charmer) sent my albino boa through them. It got there as expected and on time, but the delivery guy had to have been borderline retarded. He was holding the box on its side and he shook it before he handed it to me. I pretty much had an aneurysm when he did this and ripped him a new one. Called up his supervisor and got the same attitude. Needless to say, when I start producing babies, I will use FedEx. BTW, I couldn't be happier with him Steph! Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
charmer
That is Great!

I am so happy you are enjoying him and that, in the end, he made it there safely and was not too traumatized by the UPS delivery guy. Keep in touch Jon!
Stephanie Siebert

Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMcSavage View Post
While we are on the topic of UPS, Stephanie(charmer) sent my albino boa through them. It got there as expected and on time, but the delivery guy had to have been borderline retarded. He was holding the box on its side and he shook it before he handed it to me. I pretty much had an aneurysm when he did this and ripped him a new one. Called up his supervisor and got the same attitude. Needless to say, when I start producing babies, I will use FedEx. BTW, I couldn't be happier with him Steph! Thanks again!
You are thinking that all the UPS drivers are bad, but all the FedEx drivers are good? That is just silly.

Shaking the box like that is dopey, but should not endanger the health of your animal.

Each company moves millions of packages a day. They ALL get tossed around, shot through conveyer belt systems, and loaded on the trucks.

In the industry, UPS has a lower rate of late packages (1-2%) and damaged packages. Period.

Over the last 15 years, we have shipped tens of thousands of reptiles with UPS, and I can count my "UPS screwed it up" instances in single digits. They do a phenomenal job.

And now you can get a phenomenal rate with them.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Diego Velarde
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn@Pro Exotics View Post
You are thinking that all the UPS drivers are bad, but all the FedEx drivers are good? That is just silly.

Shaking the box like that is dopey, but should not endanger the health of your animal.
Very true. If you've ever worked inside a shipping facility, and even a bigger facility being FedEx or UPS, you really know what a package goes through while in the system. Whether on the conveyor belts, while being unloaded, sorted, and loaded, and back again once it reaches its destination.

I'm not saying he did right by shaking the box, shame on him for doing that and even more if he knew the contents of the package. I'm just saying that its a minor thing compared to what the package goes through. There's good and not too good workers every where.

I should ad,
I had a snake shipped to me by a well know breeder via FedEx, and he told me that he still has problem with FedEx accepting his shipments even though he's been certified for a very long time. The only way he has no issues shipping is when he schedules a driver pick up at his facility.
I think that whether it is FedEx or UPS as long as the "live harmless reptile" label is "very visible" on the package, you will have problems shipping it.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
robyn@Pro Exotics
I think whenever special attention is drawn to the package, whether it be "live reptile" "fragile" "precious cargo" or whatever else, that just draws EXTRA attention to the box. That extra attention is seldom positive. UPS has a terrifically designed system to get your package through the system as quickly and smoothly as possible. Ideally, you want NO extra attention. Don't worry about my box, just get it to the destination quickly and safely!

A box that looks like any other, one that is not different, or one that you have not made special effort to mark as "special" just runs through the system, with the other million packages just like it.

But one that is marked "reptiles" or "snakes" has a much higher likelihood of being pulled, and then used to chase another reptile phobic employee around the shop, warehouse or store. All in "good fun", of course.

THAT is the reality, whether folks want to realise it or not. Demanding extra special attention or care I think just works against you. For me, just get it through the system, quickly, and get it to the destination. I pack a professional box, safely, the reptile will make it through just fine, just get it there : )

As for the shaking, believe it or not, there is a reason for that. Drivers are required to pull packages aside that have confirmed damage, whether outside visual damage, or broken sounding inside damage. Seems silly, but most of the time, they are shaking boxes to listen for any damage, as they are responsible for that damage, and they are assuming that the shipper has packed it well enough to withstand some casual human shaking.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
WingedWolf
I have sent a couple of ball pythons through them so far--in properly and thoroughly marked boxes which referenced shipyourreptiles.com and its deal. The lady at the UPS dropoff didn't bat an eyelash when I explained, and I had no problems at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!