Shipping Snakes UPS is Illegal - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
RedTail83
well one of the reasons why I made this post was because if UPS doesnt allow snakes to be shipped then what am I suppose to do? If I tell them that I am shipping snakes they are gonna tun me away. Then the people who got the snakes from me wanted to use UPS to ship the snakes to them. So can you answer this for me? Also just wanna make something clear yea I might lie about whats in the box but then again just about every single person who buys and sells Inverts online use USPS. Which all of these people say to just tell the people at USPS that you are shipping something other then the inverts. A lot of people do this same thing every day when they ship stuff. I did not put this post up for me to be pointed out as a liar when I ship something. Because it should have been rephrased in another way like anyone who ships something and says that something else in the box like a candle instead of a snake are liars. It kinda came off like im the only one doing it.But now that I know that they do not allow snakes to be shipped through UPS how do I go about things?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
bdenison
Using SYR.com you can legally ship snakes via UPS, but to the best of my knowledge they are the only ones with an account that legally allows this. Also, it is important to understand that a UPS Store is a separate entity from UPS, and have the right to refuse shipping anything.

You can obviously use Delta DASH, or FedEx, but they require you to get a special account. You can also use Northwest to ship reptiles (and NWA doesn’t require any type of special account, but they tend to be more expensive then Delta).

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
SunGlowExotics
http://www.ShipYourReptiles.com Is your best bet! It ships through ups legally, and is easy to use!
~Brandon

Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
WingedWolf
The only time I have ever received snakes DEAD, they were shipped via UPS in a box marked only 'Perishable'. Apparently they sat somewhere on hot pavement or a hot truck floor for too long. It was a horrible experience that I avoid repeating. Unfortunately, I was never told how the animals were being shipped to me. On at least one occasion since then, when I SPECIFICALLY requested the animals be sent correctly labeled, they arrived NOT correctly labeled.
You folks who think they will mistreat your package if you mark it containing live animals, or that they will not treat it more carefully, are simply wrong. People of that caliber are relatively rare. Failing to label is more hazardous--and it's ILLEGAL!!!!

I'm really sick of seeing this over and over again in the industry. I will NOT buy from someone who refuses proper labeling, and if they lie to me about it, I will NOT buy from them ever again. And others should do the same! These people need to learn that this is unacceptable behavior--it's bad for the hobby, it's bad for the animals, and oh yeah...it's bad for the customer, whom you are making into a criminal!

As for the person asking what they're supposed to do, when UPS won't accept a package marked as containing snakes--you can use SYR. Or you can go through the process to become Fed Ex certified to ship live reptiles. Both options are legal. NO, I have never in my life shipped ANYTHING with mislabeled contents, nor will I ever do so. Everyone is NOT doing it. It is not justifiable.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
RichsBallPythons
All my boxes i use are the ones from SYR.com. When i ship them i write on the box Live harmless Reptile on the box. I always schedule a pickup so the snake is in my care till the end of the day(6pm). You want to put something on the box stating something is ALIVE inside so they handle it with care, otherwise how are they to know.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #16
RichsBallPythons
TO add to this i have recently purchases a INK stamp for stamping my box as UPS and FEDex seems to pay attention to stamps more than hand writing.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
RedTail83
Also just to point this out just about everyone who ships tarantulas,scorpions and so on use USPS. I can guarantee you if you go through a forum and ask them what they use for shipping they willt ell you USPS or go look through the adds and they say USPS express or priority. Barely anyone in the invert hobby will ever use fedex,ups, or any other carrier for that matter besides usps. I'm not saying this just to make it up. Every spider or scorpion I have ever got was sent to me by the post office. Also every reptile I have got in the mail was either sent UPS or Fedex and it was known to the carriers that the box had live animals in it. I have got IDK around 40 different packes from all sorts of different people who shipped me reptiles without labeling the box live animals inside. So yea that's a lot of people to say they don't do that. I made the post to get better ideas on how to ship reptiles I didn't post it to get a attitude. I did read somewhere when I first signed up for this site that it said it had great members and stuff and if you had problems and such they would be more then happy to help a hand. Well that post was proved wrong. But thanks bdenison and sunglowexotics for helping me out and giving me some options so that next time I will know exactly who to go through and feel safe with shipping animals legally.Cause if I wanted to be attacked by asking a question i'd go find a snobby person in some rich neighborhood and ask them what kind of car they had. This post was also for others to see just incase they did not know as well about UPS and stuff it's suppose to be helping one another out to make the hobby easier for everyone and to not give it a bad name. Which I think I was in the right by bringing this subject up because now I know I will never put the hobby in jeopardy by shipping animals illegally. Well thanks to all that helped by giving suggestions.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
The only time I have ever received snakes DEAD, they were shipped via UPS in a box marked only 'Perishable'. Apparently they sat somewhere on hot pavement or a hot truck floor for too long. It was a horrible experience that I avoid repeating. Unfortunately, I was never told how the animals were being shipped to me. On at least one occasion since then, when I SPECIFICALLY requested the animals be sent correctly labeled, they arrived NOT correctly labeled.
You folks who think they will mistreat your package if you mark it containing live animals, or that they will not treat it more carefully, are simply wrong. People of that caliber are relatively rare. Failing to label is more hazardous--and it's ILLEGAL!!!!

I'm really sick of seeing this over and over again in the industry. I will NOT buy from someone who refuses proper labeling, and if they lie to me about it, I will NOT buy from them ever again. And others should do the same! These people need to learn that this is unacceptable behavior--it's bad for the hobby, it's bad for the animals, and oh yeah...it's bad for the customer, whom you are making into a criminal!

As for the person asking what they're supposed to do, when UPS won't accept a package marked as containing snakes--you can use SYR. Or you can go through the process to become Fed Ex certified to ship live reptiles. Both options are legal. NO, I have never in my life shipped ANYTHING with mislabeled contents, nor will I ever do so. Everyone is NOT doing it. It is not justifiable.
This might spread some light on your thoughts. I asked SYR about labeling the box and i got this email back fast.

Robyn Markland wrote:
> Actually I think that is a bad choice. There is no label that you can add that will get you special treatment, at least not special GOOD treatment. UPS and FedEx facilities process millions of packages a day. There is actually very little human handling, most is computer automated and with conveyer belts.
>
> When you stamp/write something on the box about reptiles, especially in a highly visual fashion, you are only asking for trouble. Much of the public is reptile phobic, and that type of graphic labeling will only draw negative attention to your package. You don't want negative attention, or even special attention, you want your package to move through the system smoothly, quickly, efficiently, and safely. Every other box already does that, you don't want to single yours out.
>
> You DON'T want one knucklehead employee using your reptile package to scare or chase another employee around some sorting facility in Atlanta. You DON'T want an employee or driver dropping or throwing your package out of fear or phobia.
>
> I don't recommend any highly graphic labeling at all, that is going to give you the best chance of success.
>
> Robyn
>
> All Pro Shipping, Inc.
> AllProShipping.com
> ShipYourReptiles.com
> (303) 730-2125
> (303) 347-0400 FAX

Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
RedTail83
Great thanks for posting that. It clears some doubts and stuff as well. I used to work for UPS and when they are loading the trucks up with boxes they aren't nice about it. Also it is correct the boxes mainly stay on conveyor belts as the person said. So yea if they already just throw the boxes in the truck I nor anyone else would want anyone to be like oh wow a snake in a box and hit it to see if something pops out. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #20
robyn@Pro Exotics
Actually Rich you sent me an email asking about using a new large custom red stamp you had made that said "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILES" for your boxes. You said-

"Im doing this to minimize the stress on the animal shipped so the box is shipped with care."

I think THAT is a bad idea. Clay is correct, any undue "look at me" or "give me extra special treatment" labeling is only going to CAUSE you problems. Labeling species and count with a pen is NOT the same thing as a big red stamp that is literally begging for trouble.

Out of hundreds of thousands of packages moving each day through just your state, no one is going to hand carry your box on a pillow. The safety and security of your package, and the animal's safe arrival, has 99% to do with your packaging skill and technique.

For Harald, regarding UPS and snake shipping, I do have first hand knowledge of two other accounts that have a snake shipping exception. Both are VERY large shippers down in Florida, everyone knows who they are, and they move a LOT of product. So there is a list of accepted snake shippers out there, not that any particular UPS employee can access it. In fact, it seems to be kept under cryptic lock and key. We continue to work with them on that, and out of 800 packages a week, it still comes up a half dozen times. Pretty good worry free rate, but it can still get better : )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!