Shipping Snakes UPS is Illegal - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #21
hhmoore
Robyn, I wasn't the one that said you were the only one that was granted an exception. I know of others that have been...and many that simply state they have accounts with UPS. It was some of the latter group that I was referring to when I said some of them supposedly have permission...and I do suspect that, in many cases, UPS simply turns a blind eye if there is sufficient volume.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #22
robyn@Pro Exotics
I was just clarifying what I knew specifically : )

You are correct, it is a wink and a nod with many accounts. Along with our account and two others, I don't know of any others on the "official list". But I don't hold the list, so I could be wrong : )

Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #23
robyn@Pro Exotics
Harald, is Blade a Cane Corso? Nice looking dog regardless.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
Keep in mind that labeling is a federal law. It is not a company policy. However, at a minimum, federal law states you must label packages "Wildlife." You do not have to specify the contents on your box; specifics (count and common name) go on the invoice which needs placed in a "easy to access area." My opinion on that is in one of those plastic invoice pouches or right on top of the styrofoam inside the box. They also do not specify size of label. Mine are roughly 3/4" high and are placed on one side of the box toward the bottom. This meets federal requirements, but doesn't present unneeded attention with massive labels.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
WingedWolf
I just plain disagree--first off, not labeling the package breaks Federal Law, which isn't something that I, as a business, am willing to do.

Second, all of my personal experiences have been that a properly labeled box DOES arrive in better shape, and is delivered with more care, than an unlabeled one. Not just with the snakes that arrived dead, but with other packages as well. The ones with no live animal labeling had clearly had a much rougher time.

I give people the benefit of the doubt--that most are reasonably decent. I may be let down one day, but not so far.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
CB Reptiles
So if I use SYR.com and write "Live Harmless Reptiles" in black marker (medium sized) and the contents of the box (count, type of snake common and latin) in pen (small sized), I should be okay, right?

I just want the box to be legal by FED standards.....

Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #27
TripleMoonsExotic
Per 50 CFR 14...

Option One

(i) Conspicuously marking the outside of each container or package containing fish or wildlife with the word “fish” or “wildlife” as appropriate for its contents, or with the common name of its contents by species, and

(ii) Including an invoice, packing list, bill of lading, or similar document to accompany the shipment which accurately states the name and address of the shipper and consignee, states the total number of packages or containers in the shipment, and for each species in the shipment specifies:
(A) The common name that identifies the species (examples include: Chinook (or king) salmon; bluefin tuna; and whitetail deer) and whether or not the listed species is venomous; and

(B) The number of that species (or other appropriate measure of quantity such as gross or net weight).
The invoice, packing list, bill of lading, or equivalent document must be securely attached to the outside of one container or package in the shipment or otherwise physically accompany the shipment in a manner which makes it readily accessible for inspection;

Full article here.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #28
CB Reptiles
thanks stefanie, that helps a lot.

chris

Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
CB Reptiles
oops, meant stephanie....sorry. can't edit my posts for some darn reason!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
WingedWolf
For those who don't want to advertise the species on the outside of the box, "Live Harmless Reptiles" can be written on the outside, and then use one of UPS' plastic shipping label sleeves. Place a note with the following information inside it, under the shipping label: Common name, Species name, number of animals of each type in the box.
This satisfies the Lacey Act, as the shipping label envelope is accessible without opening the box, but cannot be seen unless someone is looking for it.
It is a good idea to include a note on the outside stating further information is available in the shipping label pouch.

As has been said, this is NOT a UPS issue, it is Federal Law.
It is entirely illegal to ship reptiles WITHOUT marking that the package contains live animals on the OUTSIDE of the box, and without including the species common name, species latin name, and number of animals in a place accessible without opening the box (either on the outside, or in a shipping envelope or pouch that is attached to the package). This is exactly what the law states, and it is what you must do in order to ship live reptiles legally.
If you do NOT do this, you are in violation of the law, AND YOUR CUSTOMER is in violation of the law if they accept the package knowing what is in it. That's why this matters so much. You're forcing your customer to either break the law, or risk killing the animals by refusing the package, if you ship improperly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!