HELP: how long can a snake survive in transit? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #21
akaangela
Well I got the little girl just as I was walking out to my car for work. Of course I ran back in and ripped open the package. I was sure she was dead. She was ice cold. Then I saw her head move. I was SO happy!!!! I warmed her up in my hands and she started to move a little bit. My heart sank as she moved her head tilted at an odd angle and she couldn't lift it off the floor. So I put her in her home in quarantine and ran to work. I just got home and she is still alive, no obvious weesing, but she won't lift up her head. I only did a quick look before I had to finish some other things. I will take her out for an indepth look later tonight.
Thank you all for your good wishes. The miracle happened, she is alive. Now if I can only get her to stay that way and not have any other problems. Does anyone know what kind of things I should be looking for?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
StrictlyExotics
Check her activity, after she gets her body back up to temp. A snake that cold for a spell can really mess with them. I had a power outage during an ice storm for 4 days once and while I was at work, all my snakes were freezing. I was able to save most of them by basically thawing them out. This, however, was a lot shorter time than what yours went through. How I warmed the survivors up was to use luke warm baths until they showed movement. After the water warmed them up to room temp, I stuck them all under appropriate heat lamps to make that I could dry them up. The ones that survived from the begining are all still alive and doing well. The ones that died were the tough ones. A couple of them I even gave CPR-ish type treatment to see if they could pull through. I have NEVER been the same since. I have all kinds of backup things for that type of circumstance now, generators, cig lighter adapters to heat cages off of the cars, relatives that KNOW I have tons of snakes that have no choice to take in an emergency, etc... Let me know if there is anyhting I can do to help.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
chamgirl99471
I've got my fingers crossed that she will be OK ... Just keep us up to date Please... we're all pulling for you and the little one!!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
When I had my last UPS debacle in April I lost five of the ten snakes that were shipped within a week of arrival. I hope you fair better with your girl. I'd watch her temps closely and at the first sign of open mouth breathing or gurgling, take her into a vet immediately.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
deborahbroadus
HEAT HEAT HEAT. 92-94

I would put provide some cold water in her enclosure, so she that can rehydrate when she feels more strong, but I would leave her for at least 24 hours she doesn't need any more stress of handling... nothing. She needs to recuperate and regain her strength so that her resources are not overtaxed.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #26
Utta
Yay!!!!!! Glad she survived that! Now here's to hopin she pulls threw this

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #27
akaangela
Well she is tucked into her cage nice and warm (93 degrees) with fresh water and on paper towels. She has darkness on 3 side and the only light is from the front. I can see her moving around. I will wait till tomorrow and check on her to see if I hear any weesing. If none then she will be put away and not disturbed till tomorrow night for a spot check and to listen for any thing and check her water. Does this sound ok? I don't want to check on her too often but I think I should check on her at least once a day to make sure her cage is clean and her water is ok and she is not weesing.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #28
bamagurl76
Glad to hear that she is alive . Now I will keep praying for her to be healthy.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #29
chamgirl99471
She must be one healthy snake to survive the trip so hopefully that will be something that helps her pull through this and survive... sounds like she has a lot of will to survive!! Good Luck and still praying!!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #30
chamgirl99471
Just curious as to how she is doing! Hopefully she's OK!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!