ups failure - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
JordanAng420
How were the geckos packaged? Can you show us pictures? Please tell me that they weren't sent with a heat pack...

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
jscianni21
the box was insulated everything was done right on the shippers part of things but the fact ups dropped em off at 5:30 is what killed them i'll post pics of the box and what not i gotta take the person i got them off of is going to send me 2 more geckos she is really awesome . but this is in ups hands cause it wasn't sent ups nextday saver it was said to both of that it would be here 10:30

Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
jscianni21
pictures
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
JordanAng420
So sad. I hate to see that.

Here's UPS contact information. Have your confirmation number and all the appropriate info availiable.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/con...?WT.svl=Footer

Also, it might be worthwile to talk to the seller about shipping in severe weather. It's too hot here in S. Florida to be shipping animals. I'm on hold until temps go down 10 degrees.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
jscianni21
ya we are prob going to wait a lil bit either that or try cool packs but we are prob going to wait a bit before we ship the other geckos .

Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
WingedWolf
I recommend the next ones are sent to the UPS hub, and you go pick them up there. It's always safest.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Kaiyudsai
ALways ship to a hub in HOT weather.... the most dangerous time for a shipped reptile is the ride on the truck to the final destination....

I also use FeDex !!! much better

sorry for your loss

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
dragonlvr64
I really had hoped for the best. I am so sorry

Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
jscianni21
ya this is really sad its the first reptile i have ever had die on me while being shipped its really hard to explain the feeling

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
WingedWolf
I have received improperly sent animals before, so I feel your pain. In our case, we received 10 snakes stacked 2 to a pillow case without dividers in an insulated box--an unmarked insulated box--it only said 'perishable'. All of the snakes on the bottom layer were dead. It appeared the box had perhaps sat on hot tarmac or on a hot truck bed for a long time somewhere on the way. Fortunately, all the snakes that arrived alive recovered.

It's very important to know the weather not only where you are shipping from, but at the destination. It's important to know what the packaging will need to withstand if the package DOESN'T arrive on schedule. I had one hair-raising incident last winter that's caused me to switch from 40 hour to 60 hour heat packs when the weather cools again.

I feel safer shipping in cold weather than in hot, though. I can put a heat pack in the box, and know the animals will be secure for as long as the pack lasts, no matter what happens to it. In hot weather, overheating is just too easy. I have trouble trusting cold packs not to overly chill the animals.

It's a terrible feeling to open a box and find what was one a beautiful animal that you were adding to you collection. I'm sorry for your loss.

I wish there were a sure way to prevent such accidents, but unfortunately, there isn't. There are some ways to make things safer, but nothing is foolproof (there are a lot fools in the shipping industry).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!