list for salt water tank - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
hupababy_83
Wink list for salt water tank

My mom is starting a 55 salt water reef tank, with coral. I told her most important is protein skimmer and lighting! Can anyone provide her with proper list of what she needs? She also understaNds that it can be expensive and a while before fish can be introduced to the tank. The woman is a saint when it cones to patience, and has a great green thumb, so I know she will be able to give this tank a good life. Also can she have a nightlight on a reef tank?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
GregPhillips
Check out GARF.ORG and ReefCentral.com those sites are very informative wether a newbie or a Jacques-Yves Cousteau.
Good Look and happy Reefing.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
hupababy_83
thank you I appreciate the info, so will mamma

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Payara
Its important she knows what kind of corals she wants to get. Depending on the corals, I'd choose the lighting. I don't recommend starting with SPS corals, lighting and water (ph, salinity, ca levels, and such) requirements need to be more precise. I recommend starting with soft corals and LPS corals. My favorite corals (sun corals) don't even need lights.

Check out these websites:

http://reefkeeping.com/index.htm <-- good free online mag very good resource
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/ <-- real good forum

Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Mr.Atrox
I run skimmerless, depends on the application, but the most important thing is read, read, read, and then read some more. Reef central is a great resource, let me know if you have any questions.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Mr.Atrox
This is my "basic tank" I only run canister filters.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
shane69743
if she plans on going sps and lps in the future i would go with metal halide lighting. they are a little pricey but well worth it in the long run. if you're going to stay small with softies, zoos, mushrooms go with a power compact. cheaper and do great for low light corals. there is also vho, t5, its all about preference. i prefer the metal halide it gives that shimmer effect that some people really like. for a 55gal i would go with 2x 175w metal halide or 4x65w power compacts. big thing is to go slow, and make sure everything has time to start growing....mean bacteria, and little bugs you only see at night, kinda cool. and dont get freaked out by some of the creatures you see.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!