cleaning used aquarium? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
DABOZ
cleaning used aquarium?

Hey, i have an aquarium that i used to have a ball python in but moved her. Now i would like to turn into a saltwater aquarium! How do i clean it(what do i use to clean it, ect.) ?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
hadenglock
Your best bet is to just clean it with hot soap and water, and then rinse it out. That will take care of any nasty bacteria in the tank, then set up your tank and start to biologically filter it before adding fish or anything

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
hhmoore
Make sure the tank is still well sealed - snake urates & the cleaning processes over time will disrupt the integrity of the silicone. Nothing like a little leak to dampen plans of reusing a tank.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
AGoodwin
I would pass on the soap. It is too easy to miss some and leave deadly suds in the water. The best things to use for cleaning aquariums are bleach or ammonia, NOT TOGETHER. Pick one, together they form a deadly gas. Why do I choose these?

Bleach = chlorine. Any traces of this will be removed with your water conditioner.

Ammonia is naturally occuring in fish tanks and is easily detected and removed via water changes. After cleaning, rinse, rinse and rinse some more, but just to make sure before adding fish, test for ammonia. Since you should already have an ammonia test kit anyways, it should be very quick and easy.

ALSO

As hhmore said above, ensure the tank is still well sealed.

If it is not, DO NOT just place a new coat of silicone over the existing. This is going to cause you a lot of regret as in the long run, it's not going to do you much good. INSTEAD, use a razor blade to remove the old silicone, clean the glass and apply a brand new seal. Be sure to check that the silicone you choose is aquarium safe, NOT ALL ARE! Let the silicone dry completely before filling with water. Then, even though it is supposedly safe, fill it up once and empty it before use just to make sure there are no chemicals left.

ALSO

as hadenglock mentioned let the filter run for a while before adding fish.

Ideally you should run the system including any heating or cooling for at least 48 before adding fish. This allows you to ensure there are no problems, but if there are, you can fix them BEFORE they cause any harm to your fish.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!