UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:38 AM   #21
W.Wedeking
We have letters from both UPS and FedEx and while I think there may be some predjudicial reasonings, I think there may be some very valid reasoning too as to why they allow some to ship and not others.

With UPS, we did have to set up an account for daily pick-up, plus the understanding that it was live harmless lizards only and that they would not guarentee live arrival.

With Fed Ex, we litterally had to hound them in for months. We have both the FedEx Ground and Express accounts and used the volume (including dollar amounts) as leverage.

Now, with both UPS and Fed Ex, they have specific requirements as to the packaging. Fedex actually had us make up a box as if there was a reptile in it and send it to them so they could inspect it.

I am happy to say that we passed, but I just can't see every small hobbyist or breeder going through this.

I personally, would much rather see a more "friendly" solution to this. I think with petitions and numbers (especially $ amounts) these agencies will come around. I mean, reallistically, what if they take one look at this lawsuit and decide to unilatterally cut everyone off?

Old 02-01-2004, 02:07 AM   #22
Brian Oakley
"We have letters from both UPS and FedEx and while I think there may be some predjudicial reasonings, I think there may be some very valid reasoning too as to why they allow some to ship and not others."

The only reason that would make me different than you would be the amount that you ship. Granted, there are ALLOT of people that ship daily, but there for 20 fold more that ship once in a while. All the business the deny from the "once in a while" would surpass that of any larger breeder. So their reason, being money, does not hold water.......sorry that is true.
Now, I AM happy that they allow you to ship. Like I said, I personally use Delta anyway. There are occasions though when it just makes more sense to ship overnight vs. Delta, I gave those on my other post.
As far as the example of the box and how one ships. I think that is great they asked you to do so. It shows that we DO care for the animals we keep and we are not a bunch or 'weirdos' that are in this industry. There are MANY knowledgable individuals that breed snakes. There are MANY professionals (in their other jobs/real jobs) that breed snakes. With that said, I am probably many others, would be more than happy to show examples of how they ship.

Just a side note, this is not an 'attack' at you and was not to be made personally torwards you. It just irritates me when it comes to dealing with ignorant people.........these companies fall in that category.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:09 AM   #23
WebSlave
Quote:
can you provide the email addy that you used in your communication with them about our needs/your needs?
Ways to ship link at FedEx

Quote:
I mean, reallistically, what if they take one look at this lawsuit and decide to unilatterally cut everyone off?
Yes, I understood this danger from the beginning. That's why any lawsuit would have to be a two-pronged attack. (1) To claim that they are allowing an unfair advantage to people who are allowed to ship with them, in respect to those who are denied this service, and (2) They are being discriminatory from the beginning by not allowing commerce of legal harmless merchandise to our customers via their door to door delivery service.

Claim #2 is actually independent of #1, so their negating claim #1 by stopping shipping for ALL shippers would not affect claim #2.

Even so, if they took a look at the business they would lose by HAVING to cut off current shippers, it would certainly be a considerable factory in how much money our industry is worth to them. They are not just gaining the business that they do not have yet. They would also be KEEPING the business they already have, even that which is taking place "under the table".

Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 AM   #24
bud mierkey
ups a little rough some times

I sent a computer to az and when it got there it was all
apart they took care of the costs to repair it but why was it dissasembled?
I was told the trucks vibrate and shake as to the reason it happened.
It was well packaged we saw to that at the pack and send.
I would hate to send a living thing with them.
my 2 cents

Old 02-01-2004, 08:13 AM   #25
Brian Oakley
Thaks Rich. I was aware of that page, I just wasn't sure if you had another email addy that you were using for someone 'higher up'..................wishful thinking on my part I guess!

I will send an email as well. Curious as to the responce I will get.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #26
dwedeking
Volume -- Rich is right in that even our whole industry lumped together the volume is small for these larger shipping companies. I have a step brother that works in shipping/receiving for a company that UPS picks up from twice a day (full trucks) and an ex-client of my web design firm that they leave a trailer at his location every morning and pick it up in the afternoon. These are medium customers to these large companies.

Brian the only difference between us shipping and you is profitiability. Fedex charges us the same amount per box that they would charge you. Except they are picking up multiple boxes at the same time and also picking them up from 2 companies in the same complex. This increases Fedex's (or any of the carriers) profitability so they are more willing to listen. We are working to get our volume up to receive discounts but at a $1000 a week in shipping we are not there yet.

In the last 3 months I have noticed a change in the major carriers. Fedex has gotten a little more hungry for business. I handed print outs from a previous thread on this board to the salesman earlier last year to show volume for the industry as a whole. The salesman sent a single email to the legal department about shipping animals. When he did not receive a reply he took it as no and dropped the issue. I bugged him and bugged him whenever I saw him about this issue and he gave me lip service. Finally after running into an issue with a UPS shipment I contacted their main sales phone number. She gave me my local sales rep and I explained that didn't work and I needed someone with more pool (she did not have an issue with shipping animals so there may have been an internal policy change as well). She gave me a couple people up the food chain in sales. An email AND a phone call to each at the same time got a response. We sent in a test package and passed that hurdle. This information was faxed to legal and a contract was sent to my sales on the same day (this change in response time from Legal is why I think there was an internal change in policy). UPS seems to be removing their service to smaller companies, probably wanting to target the more profitable large accounts.

By the way there are other companies that descriminate against the pet/reptile industry. I tried to place advertising on the front page of Yahoo (they have a shopping section on the right hand side of their home page that is advertising). They would not do so because we sell live animals. But they will take my money through Overture which is owned by Yahoo. Also many sites will not allow advertising for certain industries even though they are legal (cigarettes, alcohol and online pharmacies being ones off the top of my head). With the huge amount of money in those industries I'd think that they would have legally tested that practice previously (there may be case law for you to view).

Old 02-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
Tom McKenna
I will get my FEDEX policyies and scan them in Monday from my office and post them. I even have the peoples numbesr and names I spoke to also.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #28
Tom McKenna
I found a copy of my policy at home Im scannning it in now will post soon if it works sometimes it doesn't work for me here. The only thing I had to do before shipping was ok was follow the policy and ship a empty box with how I would ship the reptiles so they can test it. Was a peace of cake

Old 02-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #29
Tom McKenna
hope this works here is page 1
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #30
Tom McKenna
here is page 2
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!