DHL Lousy Carrier - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
John E Dove
Thumbs down DHL Lousy Carrier

I ordered a shipment of jumbo mice from Rodent Pro two weeks ago. They were due to arrive last Thursday.
I got them last night, quite warm and leaking body fluids already.
I have dealt with Rodent Pro in the past, pre DHL, with no real problems so I don't blame them per se; they were always great in the past and used enough dry ice to last 48 hours.
I blame DHL for not getting the order here on time. Now I am stuck with a bunch of rotten mice. (Anyone know anything I can feed rotten mice to)
I'll miss the great prices offered by Rodent Pro but I will have to find a new supplier for my mice I guess as I will never buy anything from someone that uses DHL again. I can afford to pay a few more bucks per shipment more easily than I can to lose the whole lot due to a bad carrier.
John E Dove

Old 10-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
critical bill
Yuck!!

Try giving this company a shot. www.themousefactory.com

I order from them and have never had any problems. They use fedex overnight with well insulated styro lined boxes and enough dry ice to keep a corpse frozen for a week. Trust me, you wont be dissapointed.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Old 10-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Mark and Aimee
Try the greyhoud option

I'm sure RodentPro can file a claim with DHL and get you new mice or your money.

We use their Greyhound shipping option. They can fit twice as much in a box and it saves shipping charges. We haven't had a delay using that option. You do have to go to the bus station to pick them up, but that isn't a huge issue if it means the food arrives and is useable.

Aimee

Old 10-19-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
ChaosCat
If you email or call RodentPro about it, there's no reason why they should not be able to file a claim with DHL and either refund your money or send you out another order.

Rodent Pro has been very easy for me to deal with and prompt when I have questions.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Thumbs down

DHL delivered their pre 10:30 AM guaranteed shipment of three snakes to me at 1:40 PM last week! Luckily, all was fine, no thanks to them.......

Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #6
All4Sky
Thumbs down

I had a shipment of ball pythons coming in and DHL missed the 10:30am deadline (I guess my area was not one of their prime delivery areas), I called DHL and they said it should be here before 5pm. Well 5pm rolled by and I gave them another call and they said they said they had mis-routed my package and that they did not know exactly where it was. Luckily at 5:45, my package shows up. I've never had this much problems with either FedEx and UPS. Fedex/UPS have not missed a 10:30am deadline yet (knock on wood).

Old 10-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
KathyLove
Go over to the Shipping Forum discussion, and you will see similar horror story posts about ALL of the carriers - DHL, FedEx, UPS, post office, even the various airlines all have their own stories.

I have received frozen rodents from Rodent Pro on Airborne / DHL many times without a problem. They will probably send more if you contact them.

I think it is partly the "luck of the draw". If you use a particular company long enough, sooner or later you will have a mistake. Unfortunately, you loss came sooner instead of later.

Sorry to hear of your loss. But at least it wasn't live animals in the shipment.

Hope you have better luck on your next shipment. At least give Rodent Pro a chance to fix the problem to see how they handle it.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
Xtreme Reptiles
Dry ice

You may want to be cautious about using Dry ice as it is considered a hazardous material for air transport(the reason we do not use it)... It is governed by IATA regulations... Here is the website for fed ex where it is discussed..
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf...ble.pdf?link=4

On A side note, Fed Ex has been by far the best at delivering our packeges... We ship close to 700 a month over night and have had almost none of them get lost versus airborne that seemed to lose them almost every week or deliver them late

Alfredo Veloso

Old 10-20-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
MGReptiles
They always deliver a day early here on the overnight shippments, but ground is a different story, could take weeks...
-Matt Graybeal

Old 10-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally posted by justcage They always deliver a day early here on the overnight shippments
How does that work exactly?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!