Shipping Snakes via UPS - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #31
DavidButton
Snitching on people to UPS? I don't think so!
I was trying to figure out why some people seem to be able to ship with them and I kept getting a resounding NO! when ever I talked to anyone from UPS.
And if you go to their site and you can plainly see that some reptiles are allowed, but not snakes. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. Would you tell the cop that pulls you over for speeding that you didn't understand what it meant by "speed limit" ?
The bottom line is that UPS says no to snake shipping and it is in their shipping guide lines, but it is up to you to read them.
This part right here should be enough to make people think twice before using them anyhow
" In the event a package containing a prohibited item is found in transit, that package will be stopped at the UPS facility where discovered. UPS reserves the right to appropriately dispose of the contents of the package. "

So what would be the point in risking an animals life over a $20 difference in price?

So in the end you can still ship via ups if you want. They are not out looking for snake shippers to catch or anything like that. ANd I am sure that people probably have shipments going through them right now as I type this.
It is only prohibited if you get caught right?

David

Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #32
DavidButton
ANd one more thing. Here you are hacking on me for pointing out that it is prohibited to ship snake via UPS because it is prohibited and over here in this post on the BOI
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=63961

Everyone is appaled that this guy shipped via the USPS where it is prohibited too.
So what is you point to giving me grief anyways? Is it just that you are mad that you can't ship cheaply or are you thinking that I sent in your name to UPS and they are watching you now?
All I stated here in this post was the truth. If the truth hurts you I am sorry.

David

Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #33
Bill_Leverton
Question

I truly do understand everyone's "Concern" I'm just starting out in Boa Breeding to supplement my income, and Ive been up and down every road with Ups, Airborne(Dhl), Fedex, And got a zillion stories about how one day they do accept Live reptiles, the next they dont, I was even told "What the company doesnt know wont hurt them" so dont mark the box "Live Animals" Ok so you dont mark the box and you put Fragile instead 4 out 10 times you end up with a dead snake because it will wind up in a unpressured cargo hold and you end up with a deflated "snake" Dead of course or when the driver brings it he/she is flipping the box around like a ball now your giving the reptile within more stress Which brings me to this one nagging question. On another "thread" it was brought up that there was approx 14000+ members, out all these people doesnt anyone of them work for any of these "shipping Companies" that can give us any insight ???? at the rate this is going. We are going to become no better then the scammers this site was founded on stopping .....All above is just my opinion

Old 02-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #34
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater_Reptiles
.... Which brings me to this one nagging question. On another "thread" it was brought up that there was approx 14000+ members, out all these people doesnt anyone of them work for any of these "shipping Companies" that can give us any insight ????
I think an even better question would be that with almost 17,000 members here, not one is an attorney who could help us with this problem? A problem of this type requires professional help. Help from the angle of leverage via legal rights instead of pleading on bended knee to UPS.

Bear in mind that UPS may not take much of an interest if we just tell them what business they could gain by taking on our new business. But they certainly may perk up an ear if they learn that they certainly could lose some locally quite large accounts they now have by continuing to engage in this blatantly discriminatory manner.

But this has all been approached before and got nowhere. So until everyone just accepts the fact that we have to just grasp the nettle and yank it out of the ground, nothing will ever be done about it.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #35
eandjreptiles
Exclamation

I just got off the phone with my rep. It is a new account. I asked them specifically if I could ship snakes with them and the only hesitation I got was "venomous?". Of course they arent and I am now certified to send reptiles of many kinds with them. I think of all the shipping companies that I have dealt with, UPS is the easiest to become certified through.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #36
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandjreptiles
I just got off the phone with my rep. It is a new account. I asked them specifically if I could ship snakes with them and the only hesitation I got was "venomous?". Of course they arent and I am now certified to send reptiles of many kinds with them. I think of all the shipping companies that I have dealt with, UPS is the easiest to become certified through.
I suggest that you get it in writing. If your rep will not do that, then it is NOT official. If something happens, it will be YOUR word against your rep's word, I can guarantee you I know who will win.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #37
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I suggest that you get it in writing. If your rep will not do that, then it is NOT official. If something happens, it will be YOUR word against your rep's word, I can guarantee you I know who will win.
Great advice. Things are always safer in writing. =/

Chris

Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #38
DavidButton
I would truely get it in writing before I sent anything. Their company site say no snakes and I believe that they mean it. I am sure, since I still se people advertising snakes "delivered to your door via UPS", that there are snakes still being sent this way and they all claim to have "Permission" or "certification" from UPS to do so. But one reps word would not be what I called permission. Salesman will tell you anything and that is exactly what those reps are.

David

Old 04-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #39
psilocybe
I recieved a pair of baby Solomon island ground boas about a month ago, shipped through UPS...the package was VERY clearly labeled (can't remember if it said "Live harmless reptiles" or "Live harmless snakes" though, probably reptiles), and I got it just fine. I normally got animals through FedEx, but I've had a couple of UPS deliveries and they went okay...I don't sell snakes, just buy them, so this is purely from the standpoint of a consumer.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #40
HerpLuver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
He was obviously embarrassed by all this and said that what he heard through the grape vine was that some snakes had escaped from one of our packages "up north" earlier in the week and terrorized one of the drivers.

Up north, from FL, Hmm, would Jersey count? I think so, sorry for bringing up an old topic. But i can almost guarantee that was a snake shipped to MY house, a normal burm het albino, he got loose in the UPS truck and it turned into a MAJOR fiasco that had the newspapers across the country prying for the story. I had 2 new's channel's at my house, Channel 10 and Channel 40. Let's see....
Here's one of the articles, they made me sound like a skater punk

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2455421/detail.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!