INFO: UPS-will they honor their agreement? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 PM   #21
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
I was ready at work there with my temp gun and I shot his body immediately after opening the cup; it was around 80 degrees with his tail at 92 degrees.
This is where I was going when I asked about the size of the box and the point of origin. 3 heat packs is alot, esp if temps are over 35...even more so if the temps at the point of origin were warm. Now, consider these points: 1) those were the temps upon arrival. 2) You said that (at least one of) the heatpacks were directly under the deli cup 3) the heat packs usually used reach temperatures of approx 130 (imagine a gecko in a deli cup, sitting on a 130` heat source, with no place to go to escape the temp), 4) even allowing that the shipper boxed the gecko at the last minute and dropped it off at UPS at the latest possible time, you are probably looking at a minimum of 15hrs. My guess is that the poor gecko died because of the temperatures. (I'm not saying that there wasn't some harsh treatment, but I have seen poorly packed animals arrive alive and well...despite bad damage to the box. talking serious collapse, broken cardboard, compressed deli cup). Take the replacement animal, and enjoy it...the blame is sufficiently spread, lol

Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 AM   #22
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
3 heat packs is alot, esp if temps are over 35...even more so if the temps at the point of origin were warm. Now, consider these points: 1) those were the temps upon arrival. 2) You said that (at least one of) the heatpacks were directly under the deli cup 3) the heat packs usually used reach temperatures of approx 130 (imagine a gecko in a deli cup, sitting on a 130` heat source, with no place to go to escape the temp), 4) even allowing that the shipper boxed the gecko at the last minute and dropped it off at UPS at the latest possible time, you are probably looking at a minimum of 15hrs. My guess is that the poor gecko died because of the temperatures.
Yvonne, I am really leaning on this explanation, too... I know that's not what you want to hear, and you may NEVER know what really happened. All I can think of right now is the horrible death that beautiful gecko experienced, and the horror you must have felt when opening the anticipated box. At any rate, I am quite sure the shipper is devastated as well. (I know I sure would be...) Unfortunately, UPS will not be held responsible for this tragedy, so try to let it go and accept whatever the shipper is willing to offer.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #23
Xelda
I'm sorry if I missed this, but was there any substrate in the deli cup with the leopard gecko? At the minimum, there should have been some paper towel to give the leo something to grip onto in the event of being jostled. And ideally, the heat packs would have been taped to the side (not the top or bottom) of the box.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #24
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
This is where I was going when I asked about the size of the box and the point of origin. 3 heat packs is alot, esp if temps are over 35...even more so if the temps at the point of origin were warm. Now, consider these points: 1) those were the temps upon arrival. 2) You said that (at least one of) the heatpacks were directly under the deli cup 3) the heat packs usually used reach temperatures of approx 130 (imagine a gecko in a deli cup, sitting on a 130` heat source, with no place to go to escape the temp), 4) even allowing that the shipper boxed the gecko at the last minute and dropped it off at UPS at the latest possible time, you are probably looking at a minimum of 15hrs. My guess is that the poor gecko died because of the temperatures
Yeah, it could have been the temperatures you're right. He didn't put those heat packs directly under the cup like that, but when the box was jostled that's where they ended up. He dropped the package off at UPS at around 1 or 2, I think and it arrived at work at 9am, so your guesstimate is about right.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #25
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Yvonne, I am really leaning on this explanation, too... I know that's not what you want to hear, and you may NEVER know what really happened. All I can think of right now is the horrible death that beautiful gecko experienced, and the horror you must have felt when opening the anticipated box. At any rate, I am quite sure the shipper is devastated as well. (I know I sure would be...) Unfortunately, UPS will not be held responsible for this tragedy, so try to let it go and accept whatever the shipper is willing to offer.
I know, it was a horrible death and that's all I can think of. When I opened the box and he just lay motionless instead of looking up like Lilly did, I was horrified just like you said. I ripped open his cup as fast as I could and gave him a puff of air, sealing my lips around nose until i felt his chin expand. I then tumbled him around vigorously, and pressed rapidly but gently on his chest, puffed air again...CPR on a gecko for a half hour. I did the best I could but probably was doing it all wrong; he was gone anyway. I couldn't even get a neurological response by stroking his tail.

At least my co workers are now under no false pretenses...I really AM nuts...

Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #26
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelda
I'm sorry if I missed this, but was there any substrate in the deli cup with the leopard gecko? At the minimum, there should have been some paper towel to give the leo something to grip onto in the event of being jostled. And ideally, the heat packs would have been taped to the side (not the top or bottom) of the box.
No, no substrate. This wasn't unusual to me though, because none of the three panther chameleons I bought from Kammerflage Kreations had substrate in their cups either. I guess it could have helped him, but I don't know if that could have changed the outcome or not.
From now on, I'm taping my heat packs when I ship and probably the shipper will do the same. I know the shipper felt absolutely awful. You could see the gecko was fat and healthy; obviously the recipient of great care. I think this was his first DOA, and he's been doing this for at least a couple of years.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #27
BenSiegelReptiles
ups

our experience with ups has been 99.5% favorable--there have been a few issues over the years but very little doas with them compared with some other carriers we have used. We have even had a few packages lost-delayed 3 or more days, and the animals we still ok. I am glad the seller is replacing it for you. The number of heat pack you use can be a gamble this time of year--we use 3 standard size boxes from superior---small-med-large----the smalls we use one--the mediums we use 2 and the larges we use 2 or 3 depending on where it is going and what is in the box--Ben

Old 12-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #28
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
This thread should also be moved to the shipping forum. It definitely does not meet the criteria for a BOI thread. UPS has done nothing wrong
John, I noticed that Rich moved this thread to the shipping forum. My opinion that the content is BOI regardless of subject matter is immaterial because I don't have to own this forum (thank god, lol). So, you were right!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #29
Xelda
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
No, no substrate. This wasn't unusual to me though, because none of the three panther chameleons I bought from Kammerflage Kreations had substrate in their cups either. I guess it could have helped him, but I don't know if that could have changed the outcome or not.
I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison since chameleons aren't terrestrial like leopard geckos and don't have the same foot structure. Marcia packs her deli cups with shredded newspaper so the leos won't get jostled around in transit. Robin packs a mattress of paper towels inside the deli cup so her leos have soft padding on the bottom and sides of the cups. I think both of these methods work great, but at the minimum, a piece of paper towel put firmly in place can help keep a leo from sliding around. I know some breeders mist the paper towels to offer some hydration during summer shipments.

One time a breeder sent his leopard geckos to me in oversized deli cups with a wet (not moist) wad of paper towel in each cup. My UPS guy likes to leave packages lying sideways, so I could literally hear the geckos roll when I slowly turned the package right-side up.

Shipping is a constant learning process, especially since some methods that work for one species may not be appropriate for another. As you get more and more shipments from various sources, you'll see some innovative ideas and some lousy ones.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #30
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelda
Shipping is a constant learning process, especially since some methods that work for one species may not be appropriate for another. As you get more and more shipments from various sources, you'll see some innovative ideas and some lousy ones.
Yeah, that is so true. I'm hoping to learn so much more before I start to ship these myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!