ups question - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #31
TripleMoonsExotic
Sinus infection suck...As soon as I feel one coming on I nab some prescription pills to kick it in the butt! Hope you get yours nailed in short order!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #32
hhmoore
Thanks - I talked to a doc pretty quickly (which is noteworthy, for me)...he happened to be of the mind that antibiotics should not be rushed & they are usually not indicated for sinus issues. Of course, that was after I explained that I felt this was definitely more than acute sinusitis (which is almost my natural state, lol), and that I was running moderately high fevers and having blinding headaches. I think the worst is past, though, so hopefully the next few days will be better.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #33
varnyard
Hope you get to feeling better Harald!!

Also it has been a few days since I have seen this thread, looks like it ran a few more posts.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #34
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Also it has been a few days since I have seen this thread, looks like it ran a few more posts.
Yeah - Stephanie doesn't know enough to quit. roflmao. OUCH. dammit

Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 AM   #35
TripleMoonsExotic
Their was no reason for me to quit. I know the FACTS surrounding my account with Unishippers. I don't understand why you want to argue with me about MY account.

DHL isn't going to piss off their largest client (Unishippers) and tell them they won't except their shipments. I just don't understand, being that my Reptile Shipping Waiver (not the standard Small Animal Shipping Waiver) has been OKed by DHL you want to continue to argue with me about it. Especially when I did disclose to them that I ship snakes.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #36
bsharrah
Steph,

I do not think anyone, including Harald, wants to argue about your account. If DHL permits the shipment of snakes, that is one more means of shipping that can be utilize by others but Harald, like many of us, just want to be sure it is permissable per policy and not just overlooked by some.

You stated you know the FACTS. What facts do you actually KNOW. Even your rep replied that she was not aware of the status of snakes (so she does not know), she guessed DHL's waivers were the same as FedEx (so she does not know), and she is basing her knowledge on her history with DHL indicating that she has seen snakes shipped in the past, but again, were they permitted or just overlooked (there is a difference). The facts are that the waiver does not indicate snakes but their policies prohibit them. These are the only facts I have gotten from this thread.

I would encourage your rep to verify with her superiors whether or not snakes are permitted. It really bothers me and raises great concern that she didn't offer to do this when she replied to your email. She basically said, as Harald already stated, "don't ask, don't tell" and as long as there is no problems, DHL won't ask either.

So what happens when a problem occurs? Where will that package be located when DHL contacts you or the buyer and states that they are holding the package at its current location because they specifically prohibit the shipment of snakes, and it will need to be picked up in person, quite possibly several states away from you or the buyer. Do you really think they will let it continue through because your rep thought it would be ok, or you have a waiver that clearly does not specify snakes? Maybe your rep, who doesn't seem to KNOW anything, would be willing to pick the package up for you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting you are doing anything wrong. You declared to your rep what you are shipping and are not attempting to deceive anyone; however, I question the competence of your rep. Her priorities appear to be securing and maintaining your account with DHL, which directly affects her salary. She does not appear to be concerned with whether or not you are in compliance with DHL's policies. If she was, she would be making an effort to verify whether or not snakes can be shipped, instead of making guesses and assumptions.

In the end, you are the one that will be required to pick the animal up should the DHL transfer hub decide to inspect the package and hold it from going any further because, again, their written policies specifically prohibit snakes, and you or your rep have nothing written to show you are authorized to ship snakes. These are the FACTS.

Bart

Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #37
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Their was no reason for me to quit. I know the FACTS surrounding my account with Unishippers. I don't understand why you want to argue with me about MY account.
Somehow, I knew you wouldn't take that comment as an attempt at levity - so sure in fact that I signed on during the night to edit it because I didn't want to egg you on further. I saw that you had posted a response, and just signed off without reading it. (nothing personal, I just had one heck of a headache and was not in the mood to read)
Let me assure you (again) that I don't care which company you use for shipping, as long as you are labelling the box appropriately and not breaking any laws. You continue to insist that because you disclosed that you ship snakes, everything is ok. So be it, I was pretty sure early on in this exchange that nothing was going to sway your opinion (for that reason, I really wonder why I persisted :shrugs: - actually, that isn't true, I was hoping you would offer some real evidence that what you were saying is correct, because I would like the flexibility of being able to offer legitimate options). I, however, do not accept the logic presented by some of the reps: Rick's DHL rep, for example, telling him that if he says he is shipping lizards he shouldn't have a problem. Your rep not knowing this, guessing that, etc, and telling you to just go ahead - that's all well and good for you in the short term, so I guess in your eyes it doesn't matter. Let me ask you this, though, if it weren't YOUR account (your business, your anything) would you still think everything was kosher?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
DHL isn't going to piss off their largest client (Unishippers) and tell them they won't except their shipments.
are you really that naive? Unishippers is subject to the terms and conditions of DHL. Yes, they may be a big client, and may have some clout in some areas...but do you think that at a functional level, the DHL guys are standing there telling everybody "No, we don't take snakes. No, we don't take snakes. No, we don't take snakes. Hi, Mr Unishipper, what have you got for us today? Snakes? Hmmm, we don't usually take snakes, but anything for our biggest client, let's put that right over here" Yeah, right...not in my world anyway (then again, the way of things in my world is the reason I won't try to "fly under the radar" with UPS or DHL)
Steph, none of this was meant as an attack on you, or your account...I apologize if you took it as such.

And, Bart - thank you. at least somebody gets it.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #38
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_breeder
how come ups saids you can't ship any snake. at the bottom of the link http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...d+Live+Animals
So...........Did you get your answer? LOL

Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #39
Blue Gorgon
I'm actually a bit surprised anyone would want to ship a live animal through DHL...

Anything I've ever had delvered by them has been damaged and/or just dumped on the porch, and I'm not the only one who's had these problems with them. I had a wood cage delivered once that looked like it had been hurled against a brick wall, and the delivery guy was gone seconds after he knocked like fleeing the scene of a crime. Noone signing for it or anything. My friend had them just dump expensive electronics on her porch in the hot AZ sun where anybody could take it. The company I got the cage from dropped them as a shipper shortly after, because of numerous broken and lost cages.

I wouldn't trust DHL with anything, let alone a poor innocent live animal.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #40
TripleMoonsExotic
Can't post a too in-depth reply at the moment as I'm at work (shhh, don't tell anyone! )...

Sheree, I give my customers the OPTION to ship via FedEx or DHL. I do not REQUIRE that anyone choose DHL. However, the costs surrounding FedEx are higher, and as long as the customer is willing to pay, I will use the shipping company they request.

DHL my way is wonderful (as is FedEx). Both of my drivers (DHL & FedEx) are very nice individuals who wait patiently and chat while I finish up a shipment (in the rare cases where I don't have a shipment ready when they show up).

Harald, I certainly do not mean to get defensive, but I was feeling as if I was being accused of breaking Policies. I am not breaking any policies as far as I'm concerned. I disclosed what I ship & how, DHL provided my rep with a Reptile Shipping Waiver knowning this. I just can't for the life of my understand why my rep would not disclose the exact same information I supplied to her to them.

Anyway, as it's already been stated...I am certainly not the only one useing DHL via Unishippers and shipping Harmless Snakes.

...Hi - Ho, Hi - Ho...Back to work I go...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!