Goofy weather..... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 01-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
WebSlave
Back before Connie and I bought property in Florida and moved down here, we used to come down here quite often on vacations. On one trip we were driving through Tallahassee on the way back home, and we saw a stand alongside the road selling pecans. So we turned around and pulled in there to take a couple bags back home with us. The guy running the stand (Tony) helped load the bags into the back of the Bronco, and noticed the Maryland license plate. He thought for a minute, then finally blurted out, "I see you are from up north, Maryland. Can you tell me something?" I said "Sure." And he says "Just why the Hell would anyone live up there anyway?" I thought for a moment, then replied " I guess because I was born and raised up there, and just don't know any better." That seemed to be the answer he was looking for. And truth be known, I thought it was a damned good question.

Wasn't too much longer when we decided that we now "knew better", and planned on moving to Florida. Neither one of us likes cold weather at all, and with the political and regulatory climate in Maryland getting worse every year, well, why not?

And the rest is history. Not that Florida is perfect, by no means, but it is definitely better, for us anyway, than being in Maryland. I can go outside right now and see flowers blooming and butterflies flying around, as well as green anoles and fence lizards taking advantage of a relatively warm sunny spot. But to each their own, I guess. Everyone has their own reasons for living where they want to. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to Maryland to live again. Or to be honest, anywhere else where frozen water was a common thing during the Winter months.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #12
bcr229
I like the change of seasons. Last night's low temp of 9*F was a bit too cold though.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #13
WebSlave
Yeah, we have a change of seasons here in north Florida, but is is MUCH milder and less extreme than further north. We have leaf drop in the Fall, and some nights will drop below freezing. Spring is about 3 days when Summer kicks in.

In Winter, it is a rare day that doesn't hit at least 50 degrees. Normally if it is cloudy enough to produce precipitation, that cloud cover makes it warm enough to keep it liquid. Most of the time.

About the only notable REALLY bad season around here I can think of off hand is the Yellow Fly season. They are really a terror. But fortunately Connie and I found something that lessons that somewhat. We carry around those tennis racket style bug zappers whenever we are outside. Been doing that for the past two years and they have taken a real toll on the yellow fly population, it seems. It is EXTREMELY satisfying to hear the zap of a yellow fly going to Hell as you walk along swinging what Connie calls the "mallets". I guess hitting them with a hammer WOULD be just as satisfying.

But anyway, I just feel that water should always be liquid. Unless it is used to cool down a drink. Then ice cubes are allowable. Any other time, for it to get cold enough to solidify water, just no..

Old 01-09-2022, 05:09 AM   #14
JColt
I actually like winter but just not 6 months of it. Last year it was like 2nd week of May before weather got nice. I would really like 3 months of winter, 3 months of spring, 4 months of fall and 2 months of summer. I hate the dead heat of summer as much as I hate the dead cold of winter. I could do 35 to 75 degree all year round actually.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!