Florida Passes Ban On large Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Crypt keeper
Florida Passes Ban On large Snakes

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-92325419.html

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
dustinntech
That's so stupid...

Quote:
The snakes, many of which have been released by owners or escaped during Hurricane Andrew, have been breeding in substantial numbers, with estimates as high as over 100,000 roaming the Everglades and elsewhere.
Quote:
The latest one, which ended earlier this month, didn't do much good.
So there are over 100,000 but they couldnt even find one...

Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
jscianni21
what all snakes are involved with this ban and what type of funding is it going to recieve i mean honestly this is just ridiculous i guess this means pretty soon we won't be able to keep any type of animals pretty soon pet rocks will come back into fashion

Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Mikey Triangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinntech View Post
That's so stupid...

So there are over 100,000 but they couldnt even find one...
hahaha, in the 80's it was killer africanized Bees, then in the 90's it was west nile killer mosquitoes, now it's killer burmese pythons that somehow translate into outlawing your pets!

if this was really about irresponsible pet owners and whats destroying the environment how about outlawing pet cats. feral cats are a nationwide epidemic, and are dangerous to the environment on a much larger scale. why single out and demonize pet snakes?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Mikey Triangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscianni21 View Post
what all snakes are involved with this ban and what type of funding is it going to recieve i mean honestly this is just ridiculous i guess this means pretty soon we won't be able to keep any type of animals pretty soon pet rocks will come back into fashion
it's the reptiles of concern. a list of reptiles believed to have established a population in florida or that are considered high risk for starting a population since, according to some officials reptile owners release their deadly pets into the wild as soon as they're old enough to breed

the animals on the ROC list are the burmese python, the nile monitor, the reticulated python, African rock python, Scrub python, Green anaconda, and they might have added a couple more.

In NY they did the same thing several years ago. even banned yellow anacondas which I owned. after the law passed my parents forced me to send them to a collector in ohio... like Anacondas are going to take over NYC sewers.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Lucas339
hasn't fully passed. govenor crist has a week to decide if he wants to sign it.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
jscianni21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
hasn't fully passed. govenor crist has a week to decide if he wants to sign it.
he'll sign just to make him self look like he did something good for the enviroment . and use it as a campaign tactic that he is eviromentaly aware . its all bs

i'm gonna start building a rock breeding facility so by 2017 i'll be rdy

Old 04-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
jscianni21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles View Post
hahaha, in the 80's it was killer africanized Bees, then in the 90's it was west nile killer mosquitoes, now it's killer burmese pythons that somehow translate into outlawing your pets!

if this was really about irresponsible pet owners and whats destroying the environment how about outlawing pet cats. feral cats are a nationwide epidemic, and are dangerous to the environment on a much larger scale. why single out and demonize pet snakes?
its easier to demonize scaley snakes then cute fluffy kitty cats

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
R. Eventide
Quote:
This is exactly it.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Mikey Triangles
Quote:
I find it hilarious how they blame the exotic reptiles for the decline of floridas endangered small rodents... meanwhile feral and even PET cats kill off way more then any species of reptile in the state.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!