Blood in tank, unknown source - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
tandy4000
Blood in tank, unknown source

Hey, Im taking care of a pair of Thayeri King snakes for a local school over the summer and on Tuesday I notices about 15ml of blood spread out on the paper towels in little spots everywhere, there was no central source. I carefully inspected each snake for a visible injury and found none. Their feces are not bloody

I observed a large amount of breeding behavior in the snakes for the past week, could the breeding be the cause? .

Thanks

Dan

Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
hhmoore
15 ml of blood is a huge amt to find, just for the record (and yes, I know exactly how much 15 ml is). Sometimes you will find some blood after breeding, but usually just a smear...well under a ml in volume.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
RJK890
3 humorous hypothesis

*The female King was a virgin
*The male King is hung like a Retic
*He put it in the wrong cloaca...LOL

Seriously,
I am not familiar with this situation. I hope it was just from breeding and the pair of Kings are fine. Maybe you can even get some babies for keeping them over the summer. Goodluck!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
wcreptiles
I had a snake that had an abscess in the mouth that opened up and drained and it looked like a couple tea spoons of blood spilled all over the cage but I doubt if it was more than 2-3mls if that.

Perhaps one of the snakes was cut during their breeding activities. I'd inspect them very carefully and see if I could find the source of the blood. Look at their heads and make sure they are symmetrical and one side is not swollen with an abscess, sometimes it's not obvious.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
tandy4000
their heads are fine and sorry, I meant 1.5ml, I also know how much 15ml is. The male is actually larger than the female, probably 1.25 the length of the female.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!