Caring for a large Burmese python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
videodogg
Caring for a large Burmese python

I posted this in the general forum too. I was just wondering how much owners of big burms interact with their pets. Mine is 8 ft now and i handle her everyday with baths and free roaming for a couple of hours a day. She seems to enjoy the activity and we enjoy handling her. But as she gets bigger im wondering if we can maintain this amount of interaction. Do owners of larger snakes handle their snakes offen, or do they tend to let them stay in their cages ?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
hhmoore
An interesting thought...not to disrupt the initial question, but I think you will find great variance in handling across the spectrum (without regard for size). There are any number of factors that affect how often, or to what extent, keepers handle snakes...and the size of the snake (IMO) really only becomes a factor with VERY large specimens. That said, my response to your question comes in three parts:
1) I'm not sure I ever had time to handle & allow free roam for hours a day (in most cases, supervision is essential), but when I only had a couple of snakes I did handle them fairly frequently.
2) Ultimately, the bigger snakes got more handling than smaller ones. I did a lot of displays & presentations, and larger snakes are easier for people to see, lol. Also, depending on where they were housed, I would sometimes allow the bigger snakes to be loose in a room while I was cleaning cages.
3) Currently, free time is not abundant. As such, "playtime" is minimal & handling is largely restricted to what is essential for maintenance. I guess I still have a few favorites for which I regularly find excuses to take them out, but even then it is not for an extended period.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Aries54
Yea, I'd agree with when the get bigger, you tend to hold them more. My biggest burm is around 15 feet long. I mess around with her more than any other snake of mine.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
snakebiteAZ1
I have a 20ft Retic

And the only time i get her out, is to clean her cage and to feed her.. She is a big baby as far as handling goes, she has never attempted to strike or any kind of agressive action..I wish i had the time to let her out more, but i have 3 more large retics and five large burms also.. So it would take me all week to let them play LOL!!! Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!