Temps in Flight - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
John E Dove
Temps in Flight

I am sure that someone has discussed this before but I can't locate it anywhere.
We all know that temps in the warehouses at the hubs are low in the winter and high in the summer, and temps in the trucks are super high in the summer and cold in the winter. I think that is pretty much a given, but could be wrong I suppose.
What I am wondering is the temps in the cargo holds on the planes during the flights between.
I seem to recall that the cargo compartments are not heated or cooled.
Does anyone have any info on this?

John E Dove

Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Cat_72
I was searching for that information as well, John. I specifically remember someone posting the information on a thread awhile back, but naturally cannot find it right now. I believe that you are correct that the cargo areas are not climate-controlled.

The only info I can find on the Fedex site is this:

Quote:
Service Info
Temp-Assure® Air

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When your shipment must stay cool from pickup to delivery, count on Temp-Assure Air. FedEx Custom Critical provides a temperature-controlled air-cargo container and exclusive-use vehicles for pickup and delivery.

Temp-Assure provides full-range temperature control and protection from freezing.
So, one would assume that if this is a "special feature", normal cargo would not be in a temp controlled environment, or there would be no need for a special cargo container to control the temps.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
kmurphy
Found this -

Quote:
THE AIR CARGO ENVIRONMENT HAZARDS
In The Aircraft
Acceleration/Deceleration-Fore-and-aft pressures are exerted on cargo during takeoff and landing. Compression forces are exerted during rough landings.
Turbulence-Rough or "bumpy" flight conditions subject cargo to rapid alternating vertical movements, imposing heavier pressure one moment, and almost weightless conditions the next.
Altitude-As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, subjecting liquid cargo to leakage hazards and pressurized cargo to increased internal pressure.
Temperature- Aircraft cargo compartment temperatures normally range between 30°F and 70°F (-1°C and 21°C). However, cargo aboard an aircraft parked in freezing or very hot weather will be subjected to unusual cold or heat conditions.
Cargo Compartments - The main cargo compartments of air freighters are normally well equipped for adequate stowage. Passenger aircraft belly compartments, however, are often loaded with limited cargo restraint equipment permit-ting the possibility of movement during flight and inviting damage from adjacent cargo.
Comes from this - not sure if it is the same for all carriers

http://www.inamarmarine.com/pdf/Loss...ir%20Cargo.pdf

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
kmurphy
also this -

http://cargo.koreanair.com/eng/Inter..._1&menu2=Menu2

FedEx was a little confusing because the offered a temp control option???

Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
John E Dove
Thank you Mr Murphy,
That is what I remember seeing.

John E Dove

Old 03-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Cat_72
Official answer

Here's the official answer from Fedex....figuring the possible differential of +/- 4 degrees, the temps can be anywhere from somewhere below 32, up to 94 degrees.

Quote:
We received your inquiry. Thank you for your interest in FedEx. We have put together information for you on temperature and air pressure on board FedEx aircraft.

Temperature
Temperatures on board FedEx aircraft vary depending on the type of plane, the location of the cargo compartment with respect to the fuselage and package placement within the compartment. Length of flight and cruising altitude also affect temperature. (All temperatures below are listed in Fahrenheit.)

- 727 aircraft: Normal temperature for the main cargo compartment is 65 to 85 degrees. There is a slight risk of temperatures below freezing in the lower cargo compartments of some 727s which have no insulation in certain areas.
- DC10 aircraft: Normal temperatures in the main cargo compartment range from 70 to 90 degrees.
- MD11 aircraft: The main cargo compartment is temperature-controlled between 65 and 87 degrees; the lower compartments are controlled between 40 and 90 degrees.
- 747 aircraft: Temperature is controlled between 40 and 90 degrees. Typically, cargo compartment temperatures range from 48 to 78 degrees during flight.
- A300/310 aircraft: Temperatures range from 65 to 85 degrees in the aircraft's upper zones; from 36 to 86 degrees in the lower cargo compartment; and from 41 to 79 degrees in the bulk cargo compartment. All ranges are +/- 4 degrees.

Note that depending on the location, weather and time of day, packages may be exposed to greater temperature extremes on the ground than in flight. Be sure to provide insulation for temperature-sensitive shipments.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Cat_72
And the only answer I could get from UPS....no temp control whatsoever here.

Quote:
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your inquiry. The UPS Trucks or source of transportation that may be use to transport your package are not temperature controlled. Any commodities that require a certain temperature will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper’s risk for damage occasioned by exposure to heat or cold.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Awanya Peaks
UPS Customer Service

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!