cali king, 2 months old - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
ptillett
cali king, 2 months old

I just purchased a California king, 2 months old. She ate a frozen pinkie last evening (just got her Friday). Care sheet says feed her every 5-7 days. Do you guys agree?

I just want to do right by this beautiful baby.

I have her in critter cage, 30 gal size. UV light, basking area on one end, her hide on the other. The room I have the facility in is a south facing room. Very warm. I am trying to keep the humidy up (40-60) within the cage.

Any suggestions, please feel free. This is my first and I want to treat her right.

Thx in advance!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
LampropeltisCollector
Whoa! Don't keep that little thing in a 30 gallon size! That's gonna cause a lot stress. For a king that size, keep it in something in the equivalent of a 6qt tub. All my baby snakes and smaller subadults are kept in those. Just make sure the temps are between 80 and 90. I keep all my snakes in my garage and they do fine. You don't need UV Lights, just warmth. Kingsnakes spend a lot of their day hidden.
Hope I help a little and good luck
-Jordan

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
ptillett
See. Already good advice. Will revamp living arrangements tomorrow. Poor baby.

Answer to first question?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Fatman608
Care sheet says feed her every 5-7 days. Do you guys agree? Yes

I have her in critter cage, 30 gal size. UV light, basking area on one end, her hide on the other. The room I have the facility in is a south facing room. Very warm. I am trying to keep the humidy up (40-60) within the cage. You do not need the UV light. You do need a UTH(Under the Tank Heater) with some type of temp control. The 30 gal cage is a little large but just put in 4 or 5 hides in the cage. They do not have to be expensive just old butter tubs will work and he will be fine.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
ptillett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman608 View Post
Care sheet says feed her every 5-7 days. Do you guys agree? Yes

I have her in critter cage, 30 gal size. UV light, basking area on one end, her hide on the other. The room I have the facility in is a south facing room. Very warm. I am trying to keep the humidy up (40-60) within the cage. You do not need the UV light. You do need a UTH(Under the Tank Heater) with some type of temp control. The 30 gal cage is a little large but just put in 4 or 5 hides in the cage. They do not have to be expensive just old butter tubs will work and he will be fine.
Thanks. I was wondering if I gave her lots of cover, if that would be good considering the size of the tank. Right now, she just has her 'cave' that she spends most her time in and one log hide. I can do more, no problem.

This tank does have an under tank heater. I purchased a thermostat for that heater (reptitemp 500r). My issue with that is this tank has a latching screen lid. No way to get the probe inside without cutting a hole in the screen.

Do I need that screen right now. I have heard that these snakes are escape artist, so I was scared to leave the screen off. I didn't want her to get out and dry up somewhere.

Big question. Do I need that screen right now and how long before I need to be concerned about her escaping. I guess when she is big enough to reach the top?

Thanks for all good advice!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
ptillett
and, feed every 5-7 days, one pinky? two pinkys?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Fatman608
You can put the probe in between the UTH and bottom of the tank on the outside of the tank. You may have to raise the temp up a little like 5 degrees. Check the temp with a thermometer to make sure it is good.

Always have the lid on, snakes are escape artist or she will fine away out.

Feed every 5 to 7 days is correct. As for the number of pinks that depends on the size of the snake. You will not go wrong with feeding her a food item 1 to 1 1/2 times the width of the snake. If I remember right I did not feed 2 pinks until about 8 months old.

Fatman

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
ptillett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman608 View Post
You can put the probe in between the UTH and bottom of the tank on the outside of the tank. You may have to raise the temp up a little like 5 degrees. Check the temp with a thermometer to make sure it is good.

Always have the lid on, snakes are escape artist or she will fine away out.

Feed every 5 to 7 days is correct. As for the number of pinks that depends on the size of the snake. You will not go wrong with feeding her a food item 1 to 1 1/2 times the width of the snake. If I remember right I did not feed 2 pinks until about 8 months old.

Fatman
Sounds good. Thank you!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
ptillett
I worked on the snake facility yesterday. Last evening, I regulated the temps. 80+/- on the cool end, 90-95 on the warm end. She actually spent the night outside a hide in the cooler corner. When the lights came on (timer), she was gone into a hide little bit later.

I checked on her many times during the night. I must be a nut.

lots of hides. I have four in there.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, all will go well from here on out.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
ptillett
As reported, I got the temps up. Big difference in her activity. She has been very active. Thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!