Where to Fee my BP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Archimedes
Where to Fee my BP

As the title suggests, I'm looking for advice on where to feed my Ball python. I've been feeding him in a separate tank since the day I got him, but I've come across a large group of fellow herp enthusiasts who suggest that this could be causing him stress. He so far hasn't shown any signs of stress/aggressive tendencies, but I was wondering if it could be a subtle but constant build up, to the point that he may stop eating for an extended stretch to the point that he would start starving. He also hasn't skipped a meal (outside of the time I didn't notice he was going into shed) since I've had him. If this is a potential cause of stress build up, I would love to know, because I want him to be the happiest little guy he can be! Thanks in advance you guys!!!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Feeding in a separate tub is not necessary and can actually increase the chances of the snake biting you, as moving them from the feeding tub back into their enclosure they may still be in 'food mode', however that is normally an issue with the larger snakes like boas, retics and burms.

The stress people mention may be the stress of moving the snake. A lot of BPs are shy feeders and being picked up, handled and moved into a new environment can cause stress. Lots of snakes will eat just fine, as yours does so it's not always a concern.

Back when I started out in the 90s, it was recommended to feed in a separate tub because of fears over substrate ingestion (which we now understand is mostly an issue for lizards and not snakes). I used to use separate tubs as well but as the years went on and information on the internet because more readily available, I've switched to feeding all in their enclosures. It's both easier for me and easier for the snakes (they're in their hides and get to 'ambush' the feeder that is presented to them, I feed f/t).

Well this is a long winded reply. haha! If it's not an issue for you or your snake, it's fine to continue, it's simply not necessary and may cause issues, I think that's all people are trying to explain.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Archimedes
Thanks for the info! He did "bump" me with his nose once when I pulled him out to put him back in his tank, but I didn't wait long enough after feeding. I have a little hide in there for him, and since that one move I've given him about 20 minutes to"cool off" after his feeding and he hasn't done it again. However, this does make me reconsider the separate tank, as it could be a hidden thing and the stress is secretly building up. Through all the study I did before taking the plunge into snake ownership, I came realize each one has their own unique personality, and he could be the type to let it build until he boils over. I'll keep a close eye on him the rest of the week and see if I should start feeding in his main tank. Thanks again for the advice!!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
bcr229
People with one ball python feed in a separate tank because the employee at the big box store told the to do it - so they could profit from selling another tank.

People with 100 ball pythons feed in the enclosure because moving them to/from a separate tank for feeding would be a logistical nightmare.

People with large adult boas or giant pythons feed in the enclosure because a food bite from one of those snakes could easily mean an ER visit.

People with venomous snakes feed in the enclosure because a food bite from one of those snakes could send them to the morgue.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
Archimedes
A.) no. B.) the guys from the "big box store" as you call it didn't say anything to me about it. I had done my homework, and checked multiple published sources on the topic. C.) having done said research, I knew when I went to work with a few different species how deadly/dangerous the various bites can be. I also knew when I went to work at aforementioned "store" that this could be a tea possibility, however I also spoke with multiple snake owners who had way more experience than I did and had multiple snakes themselves about their feeding habits. The consensus was separate tank for both the substrate issue as well as handling. Again, I've done my research but some ew evidence has cast new light on my perspective. I asked for helpful feedback/advice and if you're just going to be negative and blow smoke out of your ass, there's the door.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
Helenthereef
On the other hand (and really just for the sake of covering all bases, it's not an argument as to why you should continue to do this), I, with 5 snakes in 2 display tanks, DO feed in separate feeding tubs.

My reasons are that there is never an argument over prey animals between snakes (which obviously doesn't apply if you only have one snake per enclosure), and that they NEVER see my hand moving inside their display tanks as a source of food, so do not strike at me when I get them out.

My case is in the minority - I have more than one snake per enclosure, and a long-term stable population of snakes who have ALWAYS been fed like this, and so are completely habituated to it. Also they aren't Ball Pythons, which are notoriously easy to put off feed if they feel insecure.

So, as I say, I am not contradicting the experts here who advise you to feed in your Ball Python's normal enclosure - that totally sounds like good advice to me. Just wanted to make sure the other viewpoint was represented for any more general readership.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #7
Helenthereef
(I also learned the hard way to get my snakes out and into their feeding tubs BEFORE I started to thaw the feeder animals, so that there was no confusion over delicious scents in the air while I was moving them..... )

Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
(I also learned the hard way to get my snakes out and into their feeding tubs BEFORE I started to thaw the feeder animals, so that there was no confusion over delicious scents in the air while I was moving them..... )
With a retic that's a bit difficult... an adult rabbit takes days to thaw. I put the rabbits in the refrigerator 3-4 days before feeding day and it's still 6+ hours to get them warmed all the way through. Bunny fur is a great insulator.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Dardin
For me it depends on the snake...

My male hognose will absolutely NOT eat in his cage (the little shit is by far my pickiest eater in general) so he gets fed out of his cage. My female hognose as well, but because she is such an enthusiastic eater she attacks her food and flings it everywhere, so just easier to feed her outside.

My boas are both fed in their cage. My hog island is just a year old and still kinda skittish, and the only time he has ever refused food is when I pulled him out to feed him, not to mention that once he is in feed mode it takes him over an hour to settle down and not want to strike at everything, so he gets fed in his cage. I just make sure the rat is pretty dry before offering it to him to prevent substrate sticking to it. My Halmahera ground boa is pretty laid back, except for feeding time, so I just feed him in his cage. Neither of them have ever shown any cage aggression from being fed in their cage either.

So in my opinion either will work. If your snake is cool with being moved to eat, and it sounds like he's doing fine, then don't fix it if it ain't broke as they say.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!