Cuban Iguana Diet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
HappyFLCampers
Question Cuban Iguana Diet

I have a Cuban Iguna that is approximately 6-8 months old. I've had him about a week and a half. He doesn't seem to be eating much, although he must be, because has been pooping once a day. I have read that you are not supposed to feed iguanas insects, but last night my hubby threw a cricket in front of him and he attempted to chase it down and eat it. He then offered him a small superworm, which he ate very enthusiastically. We then presented him with a variety of veggies and fruits, which did not interest him. When presented again with a small superworm, he gobbled it down. If they are supposedly "strictly vegetarians," why is he chasing down crickets? It seems to me that if this were true, he wouldn't know what to do with an insect. Any thoughts?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
James.w
Cyclura will eat some insects, but they are 99% herbivores. What are you feeding as far as fruits and veggies?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
HappyFLCampers
I've been feeding a mixture of different fruits and veggies, such as dandelion greens, kale, romaine, green beans, peas, carrots, corn, yellow squash, honeydew, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apples, banana. He just doesn't seem interested. We originally offered him a small superworm, thinking it might stimulate his appetite - - it did, but only for more superworms. LOL He otherwise looks healthy, is pooping every day - maybe I'm worrying needlessly.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
James.w
I would just keep offering the veggies and fruit. My rhino took a little while before he would eat a bowl of food. He would just pick at it before. I wouldn't offer any more insects, get him eating a proper diet before you offer treats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!