Novice ball owner could use some advice.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
HerpGuy
Novice ball owner could use some advice....

well to start this off, I'm a novice in ball python keeping. I just know the basics pretty much. I know what to do to take good care of him, but would li8ke some guidance if can be offered. First, does anyone know of a good URL describing the construction for a humidity box? Right now I'm using my rat snakes old one, that he grew out of long time ago. And it's extremely old and warped, being it's made outta plain lumber. It works and he seems to appreciate it, but I would like to provide better for him. I pretty much just spray the inside down in the mornings, and provides a place of medium to high humidity. 2nd I will put up a picture of his setup, and if anyones would, leave a comment and tell me if you see anything wrong or that I need.

And last, I'm familiar with certain morphs, such as piebalds, and spiders.... but it's very limited knowledge. But for my own enlightenment/education could you tell me by his pics if he is just a normal? Because in maybe 5 years, when I know more I was thinking about breeding. And would just like to know what I have, ie... het for anything, or looks good for a certain morph project, if you can tell that by the pics. Thanx to all for the help and support, ya guys are great.

Oh and he's a very hardy eater. Needs no enticing. Still training him to take f/t though. Still eating live pinks, till I can get him to take f/t.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
HerpGuy
oh and that is a 75 gal tank.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Schlyne
He looks like just a normal.

It's better to provide two identical hides that are snug enough so that the snake can feel more enclosed, and therefore more secure. Then when you have to identical hides, you can put one on the hot side and one on the cool side. If the hides are of different sizes, the snakes are more likely to choose a more secure hide than the one that has the better temperature.

I have not built a humid hide for a ball python, but for my leopard geckos I use a gladware sandwich container. I cut an entry hole in the side and melt the edges of the hole so that they are smooth. Then I can use moss or wet paper towels inside the container to provide enough humidity. So if you can find a Tupperware or other similar plastic container that would be a suitable size for your ball, you can apply the same principles.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
HerpGuy
thank you for that info. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Scott Ashton
I'm not a fan of anything in an enclosure that can't be cleaned - including the log hide that you have.

I appreciate your efforts at creating an aesthetically pleasing environment which is also suitable for your animal. You may want to consider getting a pair of the natural looking hides that are mad of plastic or resin. They can be cleaned and disinfected yet retain the aesthetic appeal of the real logs they are patterned after. As mentioned the hides that you choose should be snug and provide an enclosed environment (avoid products that have two open ends).

You also need to avoid using items manufactured from lumber, because many of the woods used in building materials contain aromatic oils which can actually harm your BP.

Are you using a screen-style aquarium lid?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Very nice looking normal BP, love the blushing and flames on that guy. best of luck with him!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
ToshaMc
Is there some reason why he is only feeding on pinks? Pinks are generally used for small hatchlings - a snake that size (I'm guessing he looks to be about 500+ grams) should be feeding on much larger prey like wean or small rats.

He looks nice congratulations on the addition.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
HerpGuy
aight let me try and get the order of responses correct, lol.

Scott, I'm working on a humidity box. I used a plastic medium dog food bowl, cut a hole out and I'm using plexi-glass for the underside. But everything, including the log, i pour boiling water on the items and then bake them for about an hour in the oven at 300 degrees(keeping a close eye on it ha). Creates a very pleasing earthy aroma through the house. hahaa. Anywho, is this not a good idea? I got the info to do this sometime back, off the internet. I' don't do this for plastic items, of course.

And thank you Ed. Though I did not understand the flame part. Like I said, my knowledge is very limited. But yes he is a very nice addition to my collection. He's extremly docile, and not really quick to ball up. Pretty much does what he wants in your hands.

And lastly, ToshaMC. Well the person I got him from was only feeding him pinkies. and your right he is pretty big. I don't know if the guy knew what he was doing. Because he said it was about 8 months old, yet he's about 2 1/2 feet maybe 3. So I'm not sure on the age. I've only had him since Sunday. I tried feeding him a f/t male mouse.... about medium sized one. my males tend to be smaller than my females, dunno if that's normal, anyways not the point..... he didn't show any interest at first, when I put it front of him, yes it was warmed. So I dragged the mouse with tongs, and he targeted on the movement, came up to it but didn't take it. I didn't want to try giving him a live one and have him get bit. So I gave him 3 live rat pinks. Took them down one after the other. So I'm trying to get him to take f/t. I'm gonna buy some scent. Does that work for you? Anyways, thank for the input guys.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
HerpGuy
oh ya, I'm not sure on the weight, I've not gota scale yet.... Speaking of which, anyone recommend a brand and type? And maybe place to get one?

Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Schlyne
He may have imprinted on rats. Ball pythons are imprint feeders, meaning that they'll stick to one particular type of prey item. If you can get a rat pup or a small rat, he may be more interested in that, as opposed to a mouse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!