hello ?????? - Virus program.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
SmokyMtnReptiles
hello ??????

i have received 5 different emails form people on here the email has "hello" in the subject and I think its a virus or something
anyone know what this is ??/?? sorry I put this post here but not sure where else to put it.....it seems VERY important to me....and wanted to find out asap........thank you

Old 01-26-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
I would say you definitely are the recipient of a virus Kevin. Do you have a virus protection program running on your computer?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
dwedeking
There's a new virus on the loose on the net. Mainstream media is even covering it. Since viruses fake email addresses from those on websites the infected computer visits and the address book, it will predominantly fake those known to each other in a close community such as the reptile scene

Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Brian Oakley
I have received the same email. I did not open the atachment that was with it and immediately deleted it.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
SmokyMtnReptiles
I have no virus protection program on this computer I do however have my firewall enabled I clicked on the file but didnt download it...am I safe or ??? how can I tell...1 of the emails appiered to be from briar patch herps I dont remember the others except 1 was from _____@rr.com

Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
SmokyMtnReptiles
another one !

the latest one came from reptileroom@email.toast.net is this someone or ? sorry for all the questions just trying to stop this before its too late...

Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
Brian Oakley
It is hard to say if it will harm your pc or not. I use Microsoft Outlook for my email, so once I receive and email it is stored on my hard drive until I delete it. I figured the safest thing I could do was NOT open the attachment. I tried to reply to the person who sent it asking what it was, but the email came back to me.
WHo knows??

Old 01-26-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
WebSlave
I STRONGLY suggest that everyone set up the email message rules in their mail reader to automatically dump ANY email with an attachment into their "deleted messages" folder. Many email programs will automatically open up an email just by clicking on it. And if you haven't heard this advice before let me say it here and pay attention:

NEVER RUN ANY EXECUTABLE PROGRAMS SENT FROM ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!

I cannot stress this too strongly.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:42 AM   #9
NEWReptiles
I got 4 of these emails in the last few hours. Norton automaticly dumped them for me.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
SmokyMtnReptiles
it was real

yep it was a virus... got up this morning it was all over the news...I went and got a norton cd and debugged it before it spread...The only reason I opened 1 of them is because it looked to be from someone here and I have a ad on here so I thought maybe it was about that.....whewwww at least it was an easy fix...I have learned from this and will not open anything else

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!