Insurance at shows? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
FamilyZoo
Insurance at shows?

Anyone carry extra insurance, in case "Little Johnny" or "Big John" gets bit by a reptile that you are selling?

I am concerned with the sue happy culture. I sure wouldn't want to loose our house of such an issue.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
DAND
You may want to post this in the Shows and Events forum as well.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
shrap
Personally I don't let anyone handle my critters at shows, so that is not an issue for me. And it is not for the bite factor, it is the spreading of disease/parasite factor. I am very set in my ways in that regard. If it means I lose a sale then so be it. It is better than losing my entire collection.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
old guy
while just coming off the show circuit

( yes a show/expo junkie ) every show that I attended you had to sign a waiver that leaves the show promoter from being liable for your action/s. That doesn't keep you yourself from being sued by a potential customer or a customer. I got to at a point where minors were not allowed to hold or " pet " my animals. The theory that I had was if the parent once they picked up the animal to observe and if they themselves allowed the minor to hold, it was of their negligence and not my liability. But of course with the inflated what ever term ( I forgot the term ) of lawsuit, anything is possible. I have NOT heard of any law suites stemming from shows/expos. I HAVE heard of law suites including one of us of our store in the retail pet store. Ours was a parrot that nipped the employee that wasn't happy with us just paying her medical bills. She wanted compensation as well !

Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Dachiu
I'm with Sammy. We don't allow our personal animals to be held at the shows due to the risks... but if a customer is interested in purchasing one of the young ones available we will allow them to hold it after cleaning their hands. (We don't ususally bring any little ones back home)
In our case though, as far as someone suing, a hatchling bearded dragon isn't going to inflict enough damage for someone to fuss over - and if they did; they'd be the laughing-stock of the aisle... and the court room!

Vickie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!