black eyes in hatchlings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
saltwaterreptiles
black eyes in hatchlings?

I asked a few folks about this when I got my first clutch this season, one of them were born with pitch black eyes.... the other with the typical blue-ish gray type eyes I expected... now the general consensus was as the black eyed leo aged the black would fade... I'm wondering, how long would this usually take? I have 10 hatchlings from the same father, and 5 more from that female and none of them had the black eyes...

The father was a bell tang and the mother a SHT...

Here's the hatching at a little over 3 weeks old.....

you can see the black eyes I am refering too...

btw,... this one is my fav so far!

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 02-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
The NY Gecko
hmm, it would e pretty cool if it sticks around. im not saying it will. i estimate by about 4-6 months it will begin to fade. but who knows. only recently are traits in the eyes really being focused on

Old 02-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
KelliH
I would guess that it's eyes are always going to be black. That's such a nice animal, you are lucky! I love solid black eyed leos.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
MiaShadows
What a cute little guy! My male has a beautiful starburst pattern in his eyes, its like two stars lookin at you! I have yet to get a good pic of them. I love eye pattern/colors, and all black is just too cool.
~Mia

Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
saltwaterreptiles
He is a cute fella... and a holdback...lol... thanks for the input guys.... the all black eye was a bit of a surprise for me and I am hoping that it does stay and that eye formation is passed on to any hybinos this fella produces, I think its the all black eye that produces the redder eye in albinos, well, thats my theory anyway...lol...

Thanks again

Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Rebel Dragons
Very cool looking!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
groovygeckos
Very cool! Is it just dark? Or does it look solid black? Solid black eyes means solid red eyes on an Albino bud! Hope they stay that way for ya`

Old 02-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
saltwaterreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
Very cool! Is it just dark? Or does it look solid black? Solid black eyes means solid red eyes on an Albino bud! Hope they stay that way for ya`
looks solid black... I'll keep you posted...

Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
The NY Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterreptiles
He is a cute fella... and a holdback...lol... thanks for the input guys.... the all black eye was a bit of a surprise for me and I am hoping that it does stay and that eye formation is passed on to any hybinos this fella produces, I think its the all black eye that produces the redder eye in albinos, well, thats my theory anyway...lol...

Thanks again
actually thats true. i mean, albinism is just a lack of melanin in the animals body. so instead of it being black it would be red. seems simple enough. although because of snake eyes that makes it a tad different doesnt it?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
groovygeckos
Quote:
although because of snake eyes that makes it a tad different doesnt it?
Tom, not really the only difference is one half (or part)of the eye is solid, the other half is just like any Leos eye, Albino or not.

On a 'snake eyed' RAPTOR, Blizzard, or Blazing both parts of the eye are red. One half being like any Albino eye.

On a 'snake eyed' Eclipse, or Blizzard, both parts are 'normal'. One half being like any Normals eye.

After seeing the Super Snow Albino, I just have to assume, any line w/ solid black eyes(or partial), are solid or partial red, when expressed WITH the Albino genes. Cant wait to see some more Bells with these eye traits!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!