Baby Sulcatta Help - please read - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
herpspaz
Question Baby Sulcatta Help - please read

I've never really been into the whole turtle/tortoise thing, but my new boyfriend bought a baby sulcatta from the NARBC reptile show this past October. before he met me, he was keeping it in a 20 L, unknown temps and feeding lettuce. When I came around, I took over, gave proper temps and lighting (110 basking, 8.0 UV lights) and started feeding leafy greens (dandelion, turnip, mustard) and occasionally strawberries or carrots, since this was what i had to feed my Uro, and Beardie. I also got her Mazuri Tortoise food, and leave that in the tank with her at all times. (she doesn't eat much) She is still in a 20 L tank though, and she's had eye problems since I met her. They are white and crusty all around, and she seems to have problems opening them and they obviously bug her, she constantly rubs her front legs against them when she is awake. for the most part, she is pretty inactive, moving only to get from the hot spot to a cooler spot and vice versa. She is eating very little now, only a couple bites when i first put the greens in there and give her a little soak. Probably because she's only awake and alert after the soak. after that, she finds a corner and passes out. Today, i noticed her shell was much softer than it has been and should be. I've been dusting every other day with reptical and herptivite, and she's got UV light. So what more can i do?

What can i do about her shell, and what can we do to help ease her eye discomforts?? my boyfriend found tortoise eye drops (either by ExoTerra or Zoo Med) that's supposed to help with Vit. A deficiencies, but that doesn't seem to do much either. I've grown attached to this Tortoise and want to figure out asap what i've done wrong and how to fix it.

sorry for the long drawn out post, but i'd really appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice and such.

Thanks much,
karin

Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
Vince
wow 110 degress in a 20 gal tank? tone it down a lot! they may encounter these temps in africa, but its not comminly known that spurs spend most of the day under ground sleeping. Is she drinking water? is she defecating when you are soaking? if possable unfilterd natural sun light would be great, if not purchase a high quality uv bulb. are you suplemiting with calcium powder, that is very very important for a growing tortoise. In my opinoin she is dehydrated, becuse of what you said about the eyes. good luck, I hope she makes a recovery.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
zebeck
I'll second the dehydration theory.
A high basking temp is good but in a small space like a 20 gallon tank it is likely that the whole tank is very warm.

I would cut back on the greens and start feeding cactus pads and grasses (dried and/or fresh). Ditch the fruit entirely and definitely calcium dust all foods. Add the powder to the drinking water too.

You can leave a pile of calcium powder or crushed calcium carbonate tablets or ground cuttlebone on a dish in the tank.
In time the turtl eay choose to nibble on these itself

What kind of substrate do you have?
The safest is probbaly dried grass hay. But there are many options.

Are the soaks performed daily? They should be.

Does the turtle have a hide of some sort?
One or two places to rest and avoid the heat could be very helpful.
In the long run a partially humid hide might help as well, but only if the rest of the enclosure is very dry and always warm.

Of course eye problems can be symptoms of many things.
If it doesn't improve soon, i would find a vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!