Ben Siegel Incident - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
RichsBallPythons
Ben Siegel Incident

Anyone hear about the incident that happened during his Midnight contest of eating roaches.

Apparently guy that won ate a crap load of roaches, and wast feeling so good afterwards. Ended up vomiting and then aspirating, which resulted in his death.

From the information posted and surfacing said there was a waiver signed but no EMS on stand by for help when things like this happen.

Anymore info anyone knows about, for something so big as a death to be barely surfacing is weird..

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Teatime
It's a really terrible thing I actually read about it for the first time in this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=353725

It seems that topix poster is blaming the lack of EMS personnel, but it sounds like the man died some time after leaving their shop, so having EMS there wouldn't have had anything to do with it. At least, that's how it sounds from people who were there that night (on their facebook). Surely in other circumstances having EMS there just for safety would have been a good idea though.

Weirdly, the facebook status is calling him Eddie Archbold

Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
It's a really terrible thing I actually read about it for the first time in this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=353725

It seems that topix poster is blaming the lack of EMS personnel, but it sounds like the man died some time after leaving their shop, so having EMS there wouldn't have had anything to do with it. At least, that's how it sounds from people who were there that night (on their facebook). Surely in other circumstances having EMS there just for safety would have been a good idea though.

Weirdly, the facebook status is calling him Eddie Archbold
Damn, search didnt bring up a thread about it or i wouldnt of started this one...

But either way, Ive never been or seen a contest resulting in eating not havign EMS on hand period. Thing is, he could of been allergic t othe roaches and so on. Probably never know without reports from ME.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
I personally dislike the direction the topix thread is going.

Quote:
As carefully spoken by a lawyer. My favorite part of that was "Please respect the privacy of the family as they try to determine what happened." Way to position yourself so if anyone asks reasonable questions, they aren't respecting the family's privacy. It's also on the family to determine what happened, because apparently no one at the event has any sense, again, as indicated by the absence of medical personnel. Do others that competed in the competition have anything to worry about?
Quote:
The place was a circus! It's people and events like this that bring every responsible reptile keeper in a negative light and one of the reasons our hobby may become banned one day! I was there when the police showed up and Ben looked like if he was going to crap himself! I doubt if that waiver will hold up in court and if I was the family of Eddie, I would be contacting a lawyer right about now! Maybe when this cost someone their business and left testicle, there will be some accountability!
Quote:
The contest winner, Eddie Barry, is dead. And I think all of his friends and family would like answers to all of your questions as well. I'm thinking Bob Segeils should get some representation, and then answer them.
Quote:
I've been to other eating contests. There are ALWAYS emergency personnel standing by, and most communities see it as a PR opp for EMS to be on the scene, in case something goes wrong. The first thing I noticed, was the absence of such personnel.
Right of the back people start talking about representation.

Here you have people volunteering to do something to try and receive a reward. Something of value. Free will people. You engaged in a act freely.

Personal responsibility used to be common place. Now, the first thought is always how can I hold someone else accountable for my actions.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
RichsBallPythons
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Since this just happened it will be time before anything is released with a Cause.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Teatime
I agree that it should be a matter of personal responsibility, but I'm really interested to see if this will have an impact on future events like this. It's sad that someone is dead after what should have been a fun event, but here's the words of someone who also participated in the competition:

Quote:
I too was a participant that evening. I competed side by side with Eddie. He was an amazing competitor and put on a great show for us all. When I found out I was shocked and devastated. No one there thought something so terrible would come to pass. We were all there for a great time, some laughs, and of course snakes. I didn't have the chance of knowing Eddie personally but with the few short words we did exchange, he was a very nice and personable individual. I don't feel right by placing blame on anyone. We all knew what we were getting ourselves into. I don't think it's fair for people to view the herp hobby in a negative light because of this event. Bug eating contests have happened for many many reasons, not just for free snakes. Everyone there was there for a great time. Enough said. Eddie was smiling and having a great time when we competed and spoke later. My prayers and thoughts go out to Eddie's loved ones and family. Eddie I hardly knew ye...may you rest in peace my friend. It was really fun competing with you.
It's post #15 on the topix thread. I think he's probably the most credible to comment, as well as others who were there that night.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
KORBIN5895
So obviously the deceased was up and talking for awhile before he died. So what does the lack of an emt have to do with anything?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
So obviously the deceased was up and talking for awhile before he died. So what does the lack of an emt have to do with anything?
You obviously never seen Eating contests first hand. EMS is always there to stop problems from arising. When gorging on food things like this are usually what happens when vomitting happens.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
KORBIN5895
You mean people inhale while vomiting? Brilliant! Actually I have been involved in a couple of eating contest ( super worms and gold fish) and a chugging contest. I can't remember if emts were present or not.

So what would the Emt have done again? He was just vomiting. He was obviously well to ask his idiot friend to drive him home. So let's blame his friend since you feel like hanging someone.

My nephew inhale a tic tac and it was in his lung for two weeks and three visits before the doctors actually found it. It landed him in the icu for two weeks.