The direction of this forum. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
The direction of this forum.

As all of you guys know this forum is still in it's infancy, but it is growing rapidly. With that being said, I feel that we as a group need to decide what we want this forum to be like. I am not making this a poll because I would like detailed reponses with names attached to them. It should be our goal to make this the best forum on the subject out there, not only for Rich (AKA Webslave), but so we can ALL benifit from this forum.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
well...

In my views i DO NOT want this forum to end up like the leo forum on KS...all the "is sand ok to use" posts are getting under my skin, this forum seems to be a nice little retreat from all the chaos on KS, and heck, the founders of Fauna must be in all their glory to see all the members on KS flock to their forums, lol, but yeah, i dont want this forum to turn into a war zone, people..i wont mention names...>.> on KS continue to post about their personal life, and then the whole sand debate almost definatly always starts a forum flood and people continue it at the top...gets VERY annoying, so yeah, my views for this forum is that we keep it clean and have less...if no arguments

theres my 2 cents...

Dan

Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
gmherps
I just started keeping leo's within the last week, and I have to agree with Dan; I too don't want a war zone of he/said she/said BS. Thanks for starting this topic Justyn, I'll have to stop in and say Hi at the petshop.
Here is my male Las Vegas Hypo/CT, double het patternless albino from crestedgecko.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Monte
Justyn and Kelli hold the key . . .

. . . you two really set the tone, in my opinion. You have a good feel for interesting topics and you seem to "center" the rest of us from going too wild.

Set the tone early and often - keep it informative and light hearted. Nip the flame stuff quickly and it will go well.

You two are doing great - it's a breath of fresh air. The differences in the forums is striking and pleasant.

Oh yeah - one more thing - work VERY HARD on getting good interviews for our Monthly chats - that also helps in setting the tone.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
jenn_jeffery
Is there anyway to 'sticky' a good caresheet at the top of the forums? That would help cut down on some of the repeat posts as mentioned above. Other than that, I agree I hate to see the fighting get started, and while pictures are good, I don't want to see this as a 'pictures only' forum, as the boa forum on KS tends to be. I think Justyn and Kelli are both doing a great job with topics to discuss and would like to see that continue.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Xavier
This place is great not sure what else I can say, soemthigns important is good moderation and rules. I have no suggestions as to what needed do. I stated on KS as many first for turtles and years later geckos, I can't stand KS the format sucks. The peopel seem to just be so mean there.
Xavier

Old 04-29-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
KelliH
I believe the idea of stickying (is that a word?) a caresheet at the top of the forum is a good idea as well, that way folks with basic care questions can be refered to it and hopefully have a lot of their questions answered. I am working on a couple of basic care sheets for my site, one on leopard gecko care and one on setting up mealworm colonies, once they are complete I would be glad to have them posted here, or if someone else has a care sheet they would like to submit that is fine too.

I enjoy this forum so much (thank you Webslave!) and think for the most part the discussions we have had here have been interesting, honest and helpful. I would like to see more discussions on genetics and natural history/habitat etc. I really enjoy seeing pictures of everyone's geckos and sharing pictures of mine too. That is always fun.

The chats we have held on the first Tuesday of each month have been a lot of fun too, and Justyn and I will do our best to keep it interesting by inviting guests to come chat with us and share their knowlege, i agree that is important.

I think the important thing is to keep this place a fun place to visit, and also a place where leopard gecko keepers and breeders can have intelligent and frank discussions. So far I think we have done that pretty well, there have been some exceptions but for the most partit's been great. So keep up the good work guys!

Old 04-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Snakebyt
i like this forum alot, i hope it stays like it has been, good discussions from people that can give good info. also, there is somthing new here daily, notthe same old question day after day. Also i think the people here for the most part are more qualified top answer the more advanced questions since the majority of us have been around the block more than a few times.

As for the chat, one fo these days ill have to call in sick to work and join in.
The only thing i want to change about this forum is the # of good users, we need more good people posting in here, but i think the other forum has ruined it for alot of people. They saw how the other one got and think all forums are like that. I hope we can change that.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #9
riverjop
I think most everyone will agree, that it would be nice to have these care sheets (somewhere) connected to this site. But also the "regulars" will have to direct alot of these questions to those care sheets! Otherwise we'll still have all the "same-ol-same-ol" discussions and , really nothing will change. because, as we all know there is a cazillion care sheets out there, all available with the click of a key (I.E.; the vermiculite question).
Anyway, I love coming to this site, I think Im bordering on obsessed!!! But I never went to K.S., so when every one talks about it Im kinda clueless! I'v since checked it out and can't get in to the "format" (It just seems boring) (thanks RICH I love this format, very user friendly)
I think that we should address problems in the industry (shows, retail-whosale) Breeding techniqes, new products, feeders, cages etc.... Just keep the "sand" type questions for the caresheets!
And I wanted to say that you people
kelli, marcia, chad, terry, monte, robin.......and many more!
Are the reason this is such a good site!
And Rich thanks again for such a great place to learn & yes a spell checker would be nice! My spelling sucks! (I spell phonetically) [Im sure I just wasted that word]
Anyway thanks everyone, and sorry for all the bad jokes!

Old 04-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
Snakebyt
a care sheet will be great, cant wait to see what Kelli comes up with.. i need to get a colony of mealworms going again so ill really be looking foreward to that one.
As far as the other site, it hasent been good for a few years.. and yes, there format sucks donkey.. woah, where did that come from ...
Lets just hope we get all the good people migrated over here and leave the trouble makers and the uber newbs and care sheet readers over there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!