Need some heating advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Boid&GeckoFreak
Need some heating advice

I need to heat some 4'x2' Pro-Line cages for Boa Constrictors. Problem is, the room temp is only 75 during the summer, and 70-72 during the winter. Raising the room temp isn't an option.

I managed to find a site that sells the low wattage 21" wide Flexwatt, AKA Boaphile's 2X heat. Boaphile's website says that their 2X heat should be sufficient in a room that's around 72 degrees, but I've been reading mixed experiences with it.

Other option is Pro Products RHP. I've never used RHPs partly to to the price. Again I've been reading mixed experiences with them. Some people say they're good at raising ambient temps. Others say that since they are a radiant heat source they don't raise ambient temps much, especially in a sparsely furnished cage, as there isn't much mass for them to heat up. My cages are pretty much just newspaper, water bowl and a hide. Not sure if a RHP would be much more effective than Flexwatt. Plus I'm not a fan of needing to put the thermostat probe inside the cage, though I guess I could use a dimmer/rheostat instead.

Anyone have any experience using either of these in a colder room?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I run 11" flex up the back of my prostacks, I keep my room heated but by heated I mean keeping it at about 75 degrees ambient.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Boid&GeckoFreak
I was thinking about trying a 2' strip of 11" or 12" heat tape under the cage, then another strip either 2' or 4' across the back of the cage. Might need a second thermostat or dimmer for the strip on the back to get the temps right though.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
ABDragons
We use Flex watt on all of our dubia tubs to keep the temps at 95 . We all so sell Flex Watt Tape in the 3", 4" and 11"

Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Edwardo
I have a few pro products RHP's that im using at the moment and I think they work great, especially in larger cages (4 footers and up) but there are cheaper alternatives to heat a cage.
After all, heat is heat.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
suzuki4life
in your situation use a rhp panel (pro products or helix, stay away from RBI panels) for ambient heat. A single piece of 11" x 12" flexwatt on one side for a hot spot. You should buy TWO thermostats and run each heat source separately(although on multiple cages you could use a single thermostat to control the flexwatt for all cages and the other to control all rhp for the stack)

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
in your situation use a rhp panel (pro products or helix, stay away from RBI panels) for ambient heat. A single piece of 11" x 12" flexwatt on one side for a hot spot. You should buy TWO thermostats and run each heat source separately(although on multiple cages you could use a single thermostat to control the flexwatt for all cages and the other to control all rhp for the stack)
Honestly using a single probed thermostat to control two heat sources in two cages is a very bad Idea. What happens of the heat fails in the cage with the probe and the other heat source goes wide open?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
suzuki4life
I guess the same thing that happens when it does on ars, freedom breeder or most of the racks currently available online. Buy decent thermostats and this doesn't happen. Hence why you aren't reading about melt downs on ars or freedom breeder racks.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
I guess the same thing that happens when it does on ars, freedom breeder or most of the racks currently available online. Buy decent thermostats and this doesn't happen. Hence why you aren't reading about melt downs on ars or freedom breeder racks.
There have been two cases of someone losing their whole collection ( or most of it) in the last six months.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
suzuki4life
Post a link to the info please.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!