Rep system - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
RachelSS
Rep system

I'm curious as to why the rep system is applicable to posts outside the BOI. I got neg repped over a petty post by someone childish enough to leave a stupid comment along with the neg rep.

The BOI should be the place to deal with neg reps. People can add their positive or negative reputation to a poster based on posts/issues/transactions that have played out in there.

To neg someone over a silly comment is so stupid to me. You should be able to see who neg repped you so you can at least send a message and get an explanation over the neg rep, not some childish comment left with the negative reputation.

The whole rep system is ridiculous anyway. If someone wants to see if the seller/buyer is worth dealing with, use the BOI.

my .02

Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
hhmoore
The reputation/karma system has nothing to do with sales/transactions, and is wholly unrelated to the BOI*. People are given karma - positive or negative - by members of this site as a form of feedback about their posts. Make helpful, insightful, or funny posts, and you will get positive karma. Negative karma IS supposed to be used in the same way - meaning that, ideally, it is given when a reader thinks the post is exceptionally bad....obviously, there are a lot of ways that can be interpreted.

As far as seeing who left karma - paid members CAN see who left it. Registered members can only see the message (and the post it is attached to).

*Unrelated in that it is not transaction based...however, if one represents himself so poorly that he gets a lot of negative karma, many would question how they would be treated during a transaction; especially if there were some sort of problem/difficulty. It is sometimes difficult to imagine having a person treat you differently than they post - meaning if one represents himself professionally, it is easy to expect the same in a business relationship; but if one is inappropriate, judgemental, blaming, and/or hostile in the forums, right or wrong, most people would be concerned that they would be treated the same way in a business transaction and not want to bother.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
RachelSS
Isn't the whole point of a forum to have discussions? People can post in reply and respond to someone else's posts. The rep thing is ridiculous to use. People who have 11tybillion positive reps can neg the crap out of someone just "because".

I really like this forum, I enjoy doing business on this forum and communicating via this forum, but the rep thing just... makes me want to use another site for business transactions :/

Old 11-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
RachelSS
just to add, I've even abused the rep system on another site just to boost other peoples positive reps. Is there any regulation on the karma points given out to people?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSS View Post
Isn't the whole point of a forum to have discussions? People can post in reply and respond to someone else's posts. The rep thing is ridiculous to use. People who have 11tybillion positive reps can neg the crap out of someone just "because".

I really like this forum, I enjoy doing business on this forum and communicating via this forum, but the rep thing just... makes me want to use another site for business transactions :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSS View Post
just to add, I've even abused the rep system on another site just to boost other peoples positive reps. Is there any regulation on the karma points given out to people?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
shinezilla
So, out of curiosity... If someone knew you issued out a valid (to one's standard opinion) neg to a poster and that person who knew purposely gave good karma just to wipe out the neg karma you gave the person... And then tells you just to urk your jerk...

Would that be considered as karma abuse?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
hhmoore
Sure it is...but your post count doesn't reflect that you've been very active here. You may have been lucky enough to have missed a lot of the posts that seem to be ideal examples of why negative karma exists. I don't know what post you got your first one for, but I saw a couple of possibilities when I scanned your history. Differences of opinion can be expressed without being overly negative toward the other person, and sarcastic shots in the classifieds are unwarranted & generally unappreciated.
If you want to use another site for business transactions - I apologize for being dismissive, but - go ahead. If people compare what they get here to what they get elsewhere, including the relative cost for those things, and they feel they are better served there, we certainly understand that.
While there are similarities, there are also differences between the numerous sites. I, for example, clicked with this one over several others early on, so this is where I stayed. Periodically, I visit other sites to read, or make a few posts - I certainly don't feel any need to disparage them because they don't have something I'm looking for, or because my words are not as well received as on other sites.

As far as restrictions on giving out karma - yes, there are...but I honestly couldn't lay them out clearly for you at this point. Perhaps somebody else can fill in those blanks

Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
Alex G
Once, I got a negative rep for making a dig at pet stores and the general awareness of their employees. Pet stores in general mind you, not any specific one. I can't see anything especially offensive in your post record so I can only assume it was something silly like that. If it really bothers you make posts with smart points or something funny and people will flash you some green, but honestly the positive rep system is more a guide to how often someone posts rather than how good their posts are. When you get a red dot below your name (or two), then you should worry.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
In the past I had (along with tons of other people) abused what the whole rep system stood for. I guess I thought the rep system was a way of validating people who are informative, helpful, and good business people, and neg reps are for people who have bad reviews in the BOI, etc. I didn't realize it was for "Hey, your snake isn't as pretty as my snake!" posts and BAM! Neg karma.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Sure it is...but your post count doesn't reflect that you've been very active here. You may have been lucky enough to have missed a lot of the posts that seem to be ideal examples of why negative karma exists. I don't know what post you got your first one for, but I saw a couple of possibilities when I scanned your history. Differences of opinion can be expressed without being overly negative toward the other person, and sarcastic shots in the classifieds are unwarranted & generally unappreciated.
If you want to use another site for business transactions - I apologize for being dismissive, but - go ahead. If people compare what they get here to what they get elsewhere, including the relative cost for those things, and they feel they are better served there, we certainly understand that.
While there are similarities, there are also differences between the numerous sites. I, for example, clicked with this one over several others early on, so this is where I stayed. Periodically, I visit other sites to read, or make a few posts - I certainly don't feel any need to disparage them because they don't have something I'm looking for, or because my words are not as well received as on other sites.

As far as restrictions on giving out karma - yes, there are...but I honestly couldn't lay them out clearly for you at this point. Perhaps somebody else can fill in those blanks
just seems slightly discouraging and childish I guess. I was just voicing my opinion, not throwing a temper tantrum and slamming my foot down and saying I'm leaving. Just a little annoying is all. I know the post I made that got the neg rep was childish as well, but I didn't know you couldn't comment on a classified ad.

I know that now. So it won't be an issue from this point forward. Just irks me. *shrug*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!