The het for pied 'marker' - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
phoenix-cry
The het for pied 'marker'

This is a very informal study that I thought I'd conduct.

How many of you guys have snakes WITH het for pied markers that have *proven* to be het for pied?

How many of you guys have snakes WITHOUT the het for pied marker that has *proven* to also be het for pied?

How many of you have snakes WITH the het for pied marker that has *proven* NOT to be het for pied?

Basically I've heard a lot of stuff about this marker and I'm wondering if it truly is accurate or if it just improves your chances.

I'll be adding to this research next breeding season...I have a mojave that has the marker on one side...but not the other that is 66% het pied.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
B&C Ball Pythons
I researched the heck outta this topic as well. I have two snakes w/"markers." I'm curious to see what you find as well. I found is that unless it's from known pied sire/damn, then markers usually mean nothing. However, that's not the question you're asking, so I look forward to seeing what develops here

Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
It just seems so interesting that of all the recessive genes that this one should somehow express itself when they others do not. At the same time when I look at the underside of my none het pied pastel he does not have the same black markings on either side of the tail.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Daequix
I wish I could help add to this data and maybe I can this year. However all 5 of my het for pied girls And het for pied male didn't prove in 2 seasons. This year they were bred to a pied male. So now someone has some proving to do. I'll try and remember to keep you posted.

Interesting though, I hope to keep an eye on this thread.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
Do all your snakes have the marker?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Do all your snakes have the marker?

The male (now the former breeder) has the marker to the max.
2 of the girls do....1 doesn't and the other 2 come from a very good friend and very reliable breeder who called 1 possible and the other 100% het--
I'll have to recheck them for markers I didn't really get into that when I purchased from him. I trust him implicitly.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
Well if you are breeding het to het, the odds are against proving out anyway....

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Well if you are breeding het to het, the odds are against proving out anyway....
Precisely why I added my male "Piedyed" to the mix. Figure even if they don't prove out...I'll have known 100% hets.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
mizztaztic7
That has always interested me as well. It almost seems that the animal would be co-dominant if the het markers were always present in the heterozygous form, similar to a yellowbelly's trait. I actually have a video I did showing my het pied female's markers in the link below. I find it strange that in animals with multiple color genes expressed this trait usually is not present, i.e. a pastel het for pied. If it is true, to me, you almost have to re-think whether or not the piebald gene really is recessive or not. Which I'm sure would be slightly controversial. lol

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
My pastel 100% het pied does have the marker.

By definition a recessive gene should have no expression in a heterozygous animal, it also seems odd that it would cause this particular striping near the vent.

More research needed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!