Blizzards Blizzards Where art thou Blizzards! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
morphed
Blizzards Blizzards Where art thou Blizzards!

Ok folks, got a question. Has anyone seen or heard of there being a Blizzard(type II anery x albino) that is alive or created? Has anyone ever done it? Are the genes incompatible? Anyways i picked up 1.3 100% dh (type II anery(import) x pk albino) so we will see in a few years. Im starting to doubt that it can be done. I cant dig up anything on these buggers!!! Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
reticguy76
im not a boa guy at all, but i thought i heard and/or read somewhere that the blizzard is a combo gene of type II anery and sharp strain albino

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
pituophislady
The blizzard is a type II anery X Kahl albino and no live ones have been produced yet. There are a few Dh's floating around as you know So far, it seems that the genes are incompatible...

There are strains of type I and type II anery that have produced anery's proving those individual animals carry a compatible verson....maybe that's the way to produce the blizzard???

I don't think anyone is trying to produce one using the Sharp strain.

Amie

Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
morphed
Yea I recently picked up the 1.3 and was thinking of out crossing it to a type I anery.But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of making a true "blizzard"? It wouldn't be a blizzard at that point just a snow with nic influence. Plus the hatchlings would only carry 50% of the type II with them from that litter. I don't know I got a year or two to figure it out as the DH's I have are teeny. Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
pituophislady
There are type II Sonorans, no one said that a blizzard HAD to be a Nic cross

What I was saying by mentioning that there are Type II's that seem to be compatible with Type I's is that it may need to be THAT strain of Type II's that is needed to make the elusive blizzard.

No one's tried to make a blizzard-type critter using Type I Nics yet. I'm not talking about Colombian Type I x Nics, I mean farmed Type I Nics. Who knows what that type of breeding would produce....

Amie

Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
harrellharrell
Blizzards are Anery (I or II) crossed with either albino strain. I don't know of any Nic's producing, but many Colombians have been. Pro Exotics have produced quite a few. They are rare, but they are out there.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
pituophislady
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrellharrell View Post
Blizzards are Anery (I or II) crossed with either albino strain. I don't know of any Nic's producing, but many Colombians have been. Pro Exotics have produced quite a few. They are rare, but they are out there.

No, "Snows" are made using Type I Colombians. And they are not that rare, the first snow boa was produced back in 1998.

"Blizzards" are different from snows in that they are using the Type II gene.

Sort of like the difference between "Hypo Snow" or "Avalanche" which is made using Sharp albinos, versus the "Moonglow" which uses the Kahl albinos. Yes, technically they are the same thing--a hypo albino anery, but they are not compatible with each other and have different names/labels to designate that.

Amie

Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
gzyv15a
I believe one blizzard was produced a few years back but died shortly thereafter. I hear what you're saying. A blizzard is different from a snow. Sort of like with Corn Snakes. An anery corn has some yellow in it and will produce a white, yellow or pink snake depending on the lineage. Whereas with a charcoal (Anery II) it doesn't have the reds or yellows like the anery I, so you should get a pure white corn snake. I'm assuming the same applies with the blizzard boa because the anery II's do not have the reds and yellows. I've been waiting patiently to see one produced. I'm sure in the next year or so it will be done.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
harrellharrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by pituophislady View Post
No, "Snows" are made using Type I Colombians. And they are not that rare, the first snow boa was produced back in 1998.

"Blizzards" are different from snows in that they are using the Type II gene.

Sort of like the difference between "Hypo Snow" or "Avalanche" which is made using Sharp albinos, versus the "Moonglow" which uses the Kahl albinos. Yes, technically they are the same thing--a hypo albino anery, but they are not compatible with each other and have different names/labels to designate that.

Amie
Yeah, realized what a mistake I'd made after I'd posted. That's what i get for trying to post on an hour's sleep. Thank you for clearing that up. I feel stupid. I knew that, and yet I had one of those "DUH" moments.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
SakaraGT4
as far as I have heard no one has produced a living blizzard.... any that existed were still born... >.>

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!