Substrates for leos; your opinion - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
paulv
I also do not have anything in my tubs for a substrate. Remove all the feces everyday and once a week each tubs gets a good scrubbing with a disinfectant soap.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
Supahypegex
paper towels

Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
shrap
Paper towel.

I have used slate tile, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet. The ease of cleaning and being able to easily monitor droppings always keeps me coming back to paper towel.

I really do not like reptile carpet for leos and if you are going to use tile, make sure it is rough textured tile and not the slick glossy kind. Leos have a hard time on the slick glossy kind. Shelf liner is nice too. Comes in a variety of colors and is easily cleaned.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #14
groovygeckos
PT`s (not TP lol)

Quote:
changing every tub every day would be easier if the towels fit in there a little better.
Lucille, all you have to do is cut the PT`s down a bit or fold them.

Im pretty good at it now, I just fold the one end very quickly, place it back in the tub, then put the hide and dishes back on top(and of course the gecko ).

For the baby-tubs(6qt), depending on the brand each sheet makes either 2 'liners' cut right down the middle or 1 'liner' and 2 'wipes'.

Those ill take and fold a whole bunch of towels in half, 'measure' the width against the tub, then cut off what fits in the tub. The extra 3-4" strips that are left are used to clean with.

I will do the cutting before I clean, so I have all of my 'wipes' ready to go. For the folding I just do one at a time as I go.

Off to do this right now too! Imagine that.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #15
lilraider
I put mine on printer paper its thick plain white so it lookes good and cheap like $3.00 for 1,000.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:42 PM   #16
dragonflyreptiles
Printer paper is not what I would call a good substrate, it has ben procesed with alot of chemicals and is very NOT absorbant.

But to each their own if it works for you , have at it!

Old 11-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #17
Jeremy Letkey
I do not use any substrate. I use lysol dissinfectant wipes for spot cleaning.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:26 PM   #18
groovygeckos
Wow, Jeremy, those things are safe? Im guessing they do not actually have the 'lysol' product in them(?)

Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #19
Jeremy Letkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
Wow, Jeremy, those things are safe? Im guessing they do not actually have the 'lysol' product in them(?)
Here is my leagal disclaimer: I do not recommend or promote the use of this product.

Now, yes it has the lysol product on it. It says right on the container that it is hazardous to humans and domestic animals. I have been using the wipes for about a year without any incidents. A quick wipe and it dries within seconds. If it were to stay wet for a lenghty period I would not use them. This is one of those "it works for me things" try at your own risk.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #20
DeVackHerps
im useing paper towels, and in 1 tank i have a realistic looking one with slate and a light very fine sand inbetween the cracks of each slate and over them. then some small rocks places around, dishes where the water and worms would go and a humid hide. with peat moss but shhh the moss and plastic hide are not natural. but they dont know that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!