Almost over Covid - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Socratic Monologue
Lucille, best wishes for a strong immune system.

Yes, I had a cold about three weeks ago -- my first since this whole thing began in early 2020. I had almost forgotten what a cold is like.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've been thinking about this. Has anyone had an old fashion plain vanilla cold or flu in the past two years?

yes, I went to Vegas for the Thanksgiving holiday to meet up with an old friend. Not the brightest idea but I felt like I was being safe (drove there, masked all the time except when eating, have had my vax but not time for booster yet). Anyways, once I was home I came down with a cold. (I am alone at home and hardly go out so it was deff from the vegas trip).
Started with sore throat, then slight fever, sniffles, weakness. Don't have a way to easily get tested here and I put myself in 2 week lockdown just in case. My friend works at hospital, she and another friend both got tested when I told them I was sick and luckily they came back negative.
Cold ran it's course, about 12 days but only bad the first 2 days, fairly normal cold.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Apparently I was exposed at Christmas, and started having symptoms two days ago, so this is the second time I have actually had Covid. I too think that this time it was Omicron.
hope everything is okay and you have a speedy recovery.

Joe, glad you are doing better, thank you for sharing

Old 12-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've been thinking about this. Has anyone had an old fashion plain vanilla cold or flu in the past two years?
The reason I asked that question was because of the following quote I read:

Quote:

07/21/2021: Lab Alert: Changes to CDC RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 Testing

Audience: Individuals Performing COVID-19 Testing

Level: Laboratory Alert

After December 31, 2021, CDC will withdraw the request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2 only. CDC is providing this advance notice for clinical laboratories to have adequate time to select and implement one of the many FDA-authorized alternatives.

Visit the FDA website for a list of authorized COVID-19 diagnostic methods. For a summary of the performance of FDA-authorized molecular methods with an FDA reference panel, visit this page.

In preparation for this change, CDC recommends clinical laboratories and testing sites that have been using the CDC 2019-nCoV RT-PCR assay select and begin their transition to another FDA-authorized COVID-19 test. CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses. Such assays can facilitate continued testing for both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 and can save both time and resources as we head into influenza season. Laboratories and testing sites should validate and verify their selected assay within their facility before beginning clinical testing.
SOURCE: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2...Testing_1.html

So I guess I should have elaborated on my question. Has anyone had a cold or the flu and when tested for COVID, came back negative? I am wondering if that above quote is actually saying that the PCR test has had trouble differentiating COVID from other pathogens that produce somewhat similar symptoms. The wording is kind of unclear about that.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #15
JColt
Thanks April! And hopefully Lucille you just get the minor version. My throat was so bad for 2 days that all the other symptoms didn't bother me. Another guy came back to work today and 2 more due back after the 1st of Jan.

Wife is waiting on her test results today. If she has it then it was very minor. Mostly runny nose and sneezing.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #16
WebSlave
There has been some discussion that this omicron variant may be the COVID killer mutation we have been hoping for. A version that is highly contagious, but with very mild symptoms that will give all who catch it lasting immunity support for at least the most serious consequences of infection of the other variants.

Even heard talk of the possibility that omicron was a product of a lab, developed as sort of a firebreak. The number of mutations in this one variant doesn't seem likely as a natural mutation event. Of course, no one would ever admit to such a thing, but interesting thought, nonetheless. Not that black ops biological warfare should be all that far fetched.

Hopefully this will all just pass into the realm of the usual endemic cold and flu virus assaults that surrounds us. Not that influenza is anything to sneeze about (pun intended), mind you. People DO die from that.

And I guess the pharmaceutical companies now have another lucrative cash cow with their COVID "vaccines" and the almost guaranteed yearly booster shots to go along with the yearly flu shots. I suspect there will always be a new COVID causing mutation that will be hyped in the news media.

Hopefully we are moving into the final stages of this pandemic and move it into "just another cold or flu" category of illness. As long as governments are willing to let go of the power they have been wielding, of course. All said and done, they probably contributed a whole lot more total damage to the world than the virus itself did. Poor choices were made. IMHO. But of course, this is a hindsight thing.

If nothing else results from it, I hope a LOT more people are washing their hands before they come out of the Walmart restrooms.

Take sensible care of yourselves, please. Taking active steps at avoiding contamination of any pathogen is just sensible to do.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Thanks April! And hopefully Lucille you just get the minor version. My throat was so bad for 2 days that all the other symptoms didn't bother me. Another guy came back to work today and 2 more due back after the 1st of Jan.

Wife is waiting on her test results today. If she has it then it was very minor. Mostly runny nose and sneezing.
How are you feeling lately, in respect to the surgery you had recently? Got your stamina back? Or did this latest illness knock you back a couple of steps?

Old 12-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #18
WebSlave
Quote:
Apparently I was exposed at Christmas, and started having symptoms two days ago, so this is the second time I have actually had Covid. I too think that this time it was Omicron.
Sorry to hear you getting sick again, Lucille. What was it, March of last year when you had that first bout of COVID? Kind of disappointing that the earlier infection PLUS the vaccine injection didn't give you immunity against even minor symptoms resulting from a later infection. Hopefully symptoms will be light and quickly gone.

But I guess this means that this Chinese virus (SARS-CoV-2) is here to stay.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #19
Lucille
While I am somewhat miserable and not thrilled at this turn of events, it does not seem anywhere near as bad as Joe's experience. And it is completely different from my first bout with Covid, where I could not walk from one end of my apartment to the other without sitting and catching my breath.

Still, I hope this is not going to be a continuing issue, I've had enough.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #20
WebSlave
Quote:
While I am somewhat miserable and not thrilled at this turn of events, it does not seem anywhere near as bad as Joe's experience. And it is completely different from my first bout with Covid, where I could not walk from one end of my apartment to the other without sitting and catching my breath.

Still, I hope this is not going to be a continuing issue, I've had enough.
Yeah, I can understand that. I'm sure it is wearing on you. Especially the thought that this could hit you again at any time in the future. I really and truly HATE getting sick.

You said you were exposed on Christmas. Were you with family and/or friends? Were you around anyone who was visibly having symptoms?

It's been nearly a week since Connie and I visited with her sister. I did have a headache all day yesterday, but my temperature remained normal, and no other issues to complain about. Honestly, had I known how much infections had blossomed the last week, I would have vetoed the idea of a visit with anyone.

Too many unknowns, still. Obviously this virus is small enough to remain airborne for a substantial amount of time, but HOW long exactly? How long does the virus remain viable and infectious in open air? Initially they were saying this virus remains infectious on stainless steel and plastic surfaces for 9 days. The seems to have changed lately. Which one is actually accurate and truthful?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!