Fire, leucistic red eyed dragon how do you tell? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
croftadams11
Fire, leucistic red eyed dragon how do you tell?

Ok so I have seen various breeders sites showing het for leucistic, but other than breeding them out are there really any ways to tell, and are there vasious strains of leucistic. I see ones with red eyes and ones that are labeled blue eyes. As a beginer I am having a hard time distinguishing the het for this morph and there appear to be those who would capitalize on this with a novice. So I was just wondering if we can come up with a criterion or a best guestimate approach to tell if an animal is a het. Thank you guys for all your time and info I really enjoy this forum.
-Croft Adams

Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
There's no reason to have to take a best guess to tell which animals are het, they look different from normals. The leucistic trait so far has been demonstrated to be the "super" or homozygous form of several codominant traits. Codominant traits are visually different from normals in the herterozygous state.

So far mojaves, lesser platinums, and Russo line hets all produce blue eyed leucistics, even when two of the morphs are bred together.
The fire balls, another codom trait, produce black eyed leucistics. All of these morphs are distinguishable visually from normals.
As far as I know a red eyed leucistic is an albino leucistic. The only effect the albino gene has on the leucistic is to remove the pigment from the eyes, since that is all the pigment that remains to begin with.

What it boils down to is most anyone can tell a mojave and a lesser from normals, but a novice may have trouble picking out a fire or a Russo het so if these are the ones you are purchasing it is advisable to buy them from established, reputable breeders.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftadams11
Fire, leucistic red eyed dragon how do you tell?
Are we talking Ball Pythons or Dragons here?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
harrellharrell
Next World exotics has a guide called The Hunter's Guide to the Morphs. As he does not have the Fire up there yet, I've heard tale that it will be. In the meantime, here is the link, as there are many other morphs up there that you might be interested in.

http://www.nextworldexotics.com/hg.htm

This is a very descriptive site and the morphs are explained very well.

Melissa

Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
LadyOhh
Cat, I was confused too... Croft, did you mean to post this for Ball Pythons?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Cat_72
Thanks Heather, glad to know I wasn't the only one, lol.

If this question was actually posed for Bearded Dragons, the answers will obviously be much different. If it was indeed for Ball Pythons, well....the word "dragon" in the title of the thread confused me.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
croftadams11
I meant ball pythons. I am sorry for the confusion I was just trying to emphasize the amount of different ways that leucistic is being marketed.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
NorthernRegius.com
Here's an excellent example of a fire & a black Eyed Lucy

First the Fire:

Note the head pattern; this is a key marking of the FireBall. Also the colour is much lighter- light brown & cream like a lesser, is how it strikes me.

Now the Blackeyed Lucy:

The eye is black with a RED pupil; simply an awesome snake!
Hope this Helps- Deb

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 AM   #9
croftadams11
Tahnk you for the beauftiful example. What still puzzles me is . In the picture you submitted that snake has a pink tongue and everyone is talking about a white tongue. Is this not the case?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
NorthernRegius.com
The Fire ball does have a pink tougue, but the Black eyed Lucy (Super) tongue was white.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!