Connie (Mrs. WebSlave) - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #121
WebSlave
Today and yesterday, Connie tells me that she feels almost normal.

It has now been over a month since she had her last chemo treatment, so I guess this is raising questions in my mind. It is great that she is feeling better lately without those chemicals in her system, but on the other hand, are the cancer cells running amok without the chemicals being there to kill them off?

Quite honestly, I really hope they do a test on that CA125 tumor marker tomorrow, as I am REALLY curious to see what that number looks like after Connie has been off the chemo for this length of time. Is the number still going down? Is it now going up? I sure would like to know that info.

We have an appointment to see Dr. Ellison tomorrow (Wednesday) I guess to review the test results and to plot a course for future treatments. So we will see how that goes.

I am hoping that Ellison isn't planning some harsher chemicals with a history of cardiotoxicity, and the reason behind the echocardiogram was to set a baseline to monitor the toxicity of those drugs. Some of them apparently can cause permanent heart damage in real short order. So I am hoping we will get notice of what chemicals are being planned so we can research them BEFORE Connie gets them injected into her body.

Connie has been walking around a lot and trying to spend more time outside. We have walked around our path about every day, and today we walked up and down our road. She had some seeds she had collected and wanted to disperse them alongside the road. Surprisingly mosquitoes haven't been too bad. I cleaned out the bird feeders as they had gotten pretty nasty, and the bird bath had mosquito larvae in it, so I dumped that and put fresh water in. I sure hope I don't catch some sort of exotic bird flu messing with that stuff. Those feeders were REALLY nasty!

Old 08-31-2022, 12:43 AM   #122
Caryl
Sounds like today was a good day, yucky feeders notwithstanding. Hoping that tomorrow is a day with positive news from Connie's medical team.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2022, 09:43 PM   #123
WebSlave
The meeting with Dr. Ellison was mostly good news. Or at least not bad news. With our situation, anything that ISN'T bad news, is good news, I guess.

The echocardiogram results shows Connie's heart to be within normal limits.

The CT scan didn't show any tumors throughout her torso, but did note some very small amounts of fluid in both of the sacs around her lungs. But all in all that was a good news thing too.

I wish Connie had gotten blood work done today to see what that CA125 tumor marker number is right now, but that didn't happen. So I guess Ellison felt it wasn't necessary to do right now. Not that I want Connie to get jabbed by yet another needle, but I am really curious about what that number is doing more than a month since the last chemo treatment. I would think a "cancer research center" would be curious too.

Anyway, Dr. Ellison wants Connie to resume chemo treatment but with a drug called Doxil. But first she wants Connie to clear this with her cardiologist before proceeding. I figured that echocardiogram was done for a reason. Doxil can cause heart damage, apparently. Yeah, it is one of those side effect things that affects some people, so I guess it will be the luck of the draw as to how Connie reacts to it. That is assuming the cardiologist OKs it. I'm not sure if this is going to mean a trip to the cardiologist and another echocardiogram first, or if they will just review the one already done at the hospital (TMH) last week. I believe that they took an echocardiogram themselves of Connie back in June or so. But we will see.

I am hoping that this drug won't have substantial side effects and Connie can get through the series without mishap. Doxil is apparently a pretty heavy duty chemo drug. I am thinking that with the clean bill of the CT scan plus her tumor marker number continually dropping (as of the last one noted), that this has all be heading in the right direction and Connie will be able to walk out of there with the label of "No cancer detected" put in her folder. Of course, she will have to have followups done, but that is what it is.

I am trying to keep a stiff upper lip over this (which is a better expression, IMHO, than a friend just threw my way recently) as reading online about possible side effects is enough to turn your hair gray. Or as in my case, make even more of it fall out. "Turning gray" was a LONG time ago.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #124
WebSlave
One of the side effects of that Doxil drug I have been reading about is called "Hand-Foot Syndrome". Dr. Ellison indicated that that this is the most common of the side effects she has seen, and has recommended that Connie find methods to chill her hands and feet during chemo and also periodically several days after chemo.

Even though we haven't heard back from the cardiologist yet, I went and found some cooling mittens and socks with gel packs in them and ordered them, just in case.

I hope Connie gets through these Doxil treatments with minimal side effects. But honestly I am pretty apprehensive about it. The chems she got in the past ALL caused some side effects that got her taken off of them pretty quickly. So apparently she is VERY sensitive to this stuff. When I read about one possible side effect of Doxil is HEART FAILURE, well, obviously this gets my own heart to feeling kind of crushed. And certainly sorta explains why Dr. Ellison wants Connie's cardiologist involved. Personally, my thoughts are that if you are expecting possible heart issues from this drug, then dammit, pick something else!

So here we are into September already. The entire Summer has been nothing but a painful blur.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #125
Dyscophus antongilii
I hope Connie does okay with the above treatment. I think the items you got, just in case, she has side effects, will be very beneficial. Like, just in case, she needs them.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #126
WebSlave
Well, the cooling gloves and socks for Connie got here today after all. At least one good thing on the ledger, anyway.

Connie had an appointment this morning to get blood drawn for her thyroid doctor. So we were up bright and early for that. The girl who drew the blood did a good job and didn't have to poke any extra holes into Connie's arm.

While we were out that way, Connie dropped off a fact sheet about Doxil to her Cardiologist's office, although I am pretty sure she could look it up if she didn't already know about it. When we got back home, Connie emailed the cardiologist's assistant to let her know about that fact she she dropped off.

Haven't heard a word from anyone yet. I am thinking the cardiologist just doesn't want to get involved in an oncologist's decision about what drugs to use. So I texted Dr. Ellison and mentioned my thoughts about this and also how I was feeling that with the CA125 numbers having been dropping rapidly with the few chemo treatments Connie has had, plus the relatively positive CT scan results, was such a harsh drug so laced with potentially devastating side effects really the best plan at this juncture? Is there a PLAN B? Probably will piss her off, but hell, I really don't care at this point. Connie has been in a real funk all weekend feeling that no one (except me, of course) really gives a crap about what happens to her.

Today she is just feeling exhausted. She has been taking a LONG nap most of the day. I had a short one myself, but I can see her sinking deeper into depression. I am trying to help her all I can, but it is REALLY tough trying to keep from being sucked down into that same whirlpool.

So I have been taking the bull by the horns today to try to get things moving. Time is of the essence with cancer, and I sure as hell am not going to allow Connie to die by being brushed aside or neglected by anyone.

I did get texts back from Dr. Ellison, and apparently she is saying that Doxil is the mildest and best chemo drug for Connie at this time. The other options are more severe with the potential side effects. And she did reach out to the cardiologist about the sign off. All she got was more or less non-committal, IMHO, saying for Dr. Ellison to go ahead as planned.

In the meantime, I have reached out to our PCP to see if we need some sort of referral for a second opinion from another oncologist.

I also contacted our health insurance provider to see what the procedure is if Connie wants to see another oncology center that is over in Jacksonville, which is outside of the local area serviced by CHP.

So we will see. Tomorrow (09-07) my 4 weeks will be up that my cardiologist said for me to take it easy. So I am feeling up to start kicking people's butts REALLY HARD....

Old 09-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #127
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So I am feeling up to start kicking people's butts REALLY HARD....
So on account of the fact that it looks like you are getting back to your usual kick-ass self, we are now reinstating a tradition that has fallen by the wayside the last couple years: y'all's birthdays.

Happy belated birthday to both of you!!!

I want to repeat this as y'all's birthdays come up next year.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #128
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
So on account of the fact that it looks like you are getting back to your usual kick-ass self, we are now reinstating a tradition that has fallen by the wayside the last couple years: y'all's birthdays.

Happy belated birthday to both of you!!!

I want to repeat this as y'all's birthdays come up next year.
Thank you.

But honestly, our birthdays this year were not anything to celebrate. Connie actually has two of them. Her real one is in February, but when we lived up in Maryland, the weather was always so crappy that she decided to move it to May 4th. If I remember correctly, she was recovering from her cancer surgery that day this year. Mine in July, I was fresh out of the hospital from having my second stent put into my left coronary artery. The first one on Memorial Day went into my right coronary artery.

So yeah, our birthdays weren't exactly what you would call "happy".

I will probably see another one. With Connie, well, I am praying that she will.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #129
WebSlave
Connie and I have been taking pretty long walks lately, as weather permits. We walk up and down our road. Skeeters haven't been too bad, so that is a blessing. The exercise is good for both of us, and Connie really looks forward to those walks. I am looking at them as possibly my last memories of being with her.

She hasn't had any chemo for over a month now, and is actually acting like her old self. Does my heart good to see that in her.

We think a second opinion of her cancer situation is in order now, but it's been a struggle. She has to get a referral from her PCP, which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, but they are apparently having problems at our PCP's office. Our PCP's last day there was this past Friday. The girl at the front desk there helping Connie with this had her last day there on Friday as well. Connie picked up a paper copy of that referral on Monday and we finally got a copy of her medical records via email. That all has been forwarded to another oncology center referenced in that referral. But it is like slogging through hip deep mud getting the ball rolling.

Honestly, Connie is scared to death of that Doxil chemo drug Dr. Ellison is talking about infusing. Scares the beejeesus out of me too. Seems like many of these chemo drugs might be able to help somewhat with the current cancer, but many of them can cause you problems that you will die from later on too. Oral cancers, leukemia, heart failure, etc., etc., etc., frickin' etc.... and they measure "success" with those drugs as extending the life of the patient just a few more months. They are NOT cures.

The only real solution is to not get cancer at all, because when you do, your normal life just came to an end. But good luck with avoiding it. I don't know of anyone who was more health conscious than Connie with her diet, her activities, and her whole life in general. Obviously didn't help her one bit. She has spent a small fortune on health foods, dietary supplements, vitamins, exercise equipment, etc. She could have done just as well by just flushing that money down the toilet. Kind of makes our efforts to avoid COVID as hard as we have the past two years or so quite laughable in a gallows humor sort of way. We wasted the past two years hunkering down trying to stay healthy until the storm blew over. Only to have the ground collapse underneath us.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #130
WebSlave
Yesterday Connie had appointments with her thyroid doctor and her cardiologist. The blood work done for her thyroid looks pretty good, which was a surprise, as we were both expecting the chemo treatments to have thrown that in a tailspin.

The meeting with the cardiologist was in reference to her getting that Doxil chemo treatment. Dr. Dellock said that the results of the echocardiogram showed that Connie's heart is in excellent condition. So that is a relief. I am guessing that maybe Connie will restart her chemo treatments next week.

With Connie acting and looking like she feels almost normal now, it is very easy to deny in my mind what is going on inside of her. I am really hoping that this pause in the treatments doesn't turn out to have been a real bad idea. She has been feeling really tired lately, and that does concern me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!