Feeder Fish Have Ick - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #11
cthulhu77
Not at all ignorant of what they are doing...keep my fingers in the fish trade quite heavily...but what they are talking about is "cryofreezing"...more equivalent to a flash freeze than a slow and steady freeze that the average homeowner has in their house.
Would the ich hurt the frog ? Maybe not...but why run the risk? It makes more sense to get rid of the food animals.

I was over at a person's house, viewing their collection, and noticed that they were feeding dead lab mice to their snakes/lizards...these mice came from a biolab, and were cheaper than buying dedicatied feeder mice. You have to ask yourself, is the price difference worth the possible danger? And I am saying possible...most likely, nothing will happen.

Do you buy canadian hamburger???

greg

Old 01-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
Wilomn
Wouldn't a simple soaking in salt water until the cysts had exploded be a simpler cure for this problem? Then you can rinse them in fresh water and feed them off that way.

Also, I've never heard that this parasite is not ichthies specific.

Although I must agree with Greg. If you've got feeder goldfish that are not 100% toss em and find a new supplier. If I got sickly mice I'd find a new mouse guy or be sure that his stock was healthy before I bought before I bought from him again.

I have one huge horned frog who eats a large mouse on average once a week. Fish are a pain in the butt to feed off, too slippery.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #13
cthulhu77
once again, isn't it better to be safe than sorry? I'm not sure if frogs like salty fish, either !

I have seen frogs that looked like they had ich...unsure of the transmission values, but why take the risk over a dollar or two?

greg

Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
jglass38
This is an interesting discussion but if you are looking to feed disease free feeders to your frog, its not going to happen. Most, if not all feeders are disease ridden and lucky if they live to become a meal (or unlucky). Would the frog freeze its prey in the wild?

Jamie

Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
This is an interesting discussion but if you are looking to feed disease free feeders to your frog, its not going to happen. Most, if not all feeders are disease ridden and lucky if they live to become a meal (or unlucky). Would the frog freeze its prey in the wild?

Jamie
Were he a very well to do frog, he very well may.

"croak, I say Jeeves, put that guppy in the freezer, won't you, that's a good crawdad, it looks a tad icky to me, croak."

I could see it happening. Couldn't you?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #16
aliceinwl
Ich are aquatic protozoans that parasitize fish. I've never seen documentation of them infesting an amphibian. Also, you frog is not aquatic. Feeding fish with ich to your frog is fine. If they are treated for ich, however, the medicine will make them unsuitable for consumption.
-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!